Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Nice pick work out @Paul_9207 ,
Don’t know the song, but the bass sounded good in the mix,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Moving this to the proper thread

3 Likes

Nice picking @Paul_9207
Love the green bass and the mini Ampeg, they rock!
You did a great job here, love the pickwork!

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

4 Likes

Nice playing and great timing @Paul_9207. Haven’t heard this song before but your bass sound matches the song. Good job, you nailed it.

3 Likes

Very nice @mpops1990 ! Here is the link for your next original:
Post your original songs/compositions!

3 Likes

Hey nice work @Paul_9207 - sound quality is fine IMO. I’m not sure it that’s the original tone but it sounds spot on for this track :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll get this moved over

2 Likes

never picked up an instrument before and am about 3.5 weeks into the b2b program. recently finished the lesson on shuffling and after the lesson was at my computer and just started googling bass shuffling and of course Dusty Hills name comes up. Figured I would try some shuffling out on Tush By ZZ top! found a backing track with no bass on it at all so figured i would try it out! did the song about twice and figured I would try recording myself - there are a couple mistakes but I am super impressed with what I have learned so far in the course and how i can play along now with some of my favorite songs!
cant wait to keep learning and practicing! click on the link and on the picture to watch… recorded with my potatoe phone :slight_smile: next video i do i will record it properly.
ZZ top TUSH

6 Likes

3.5 weeks in and that’s one hell of a cover @WillieD .
Great job

2 Likes

@Mac thanks alot! going to start making videos so i can visually see and hear my progress.

2 Likes

that’s a really good start @WillieD , also Tush is a great training song and also it’s a good idea to record early in my opinion : it will really help you figure out your progression over time

2 Likes

Great job @WillieD ! Keep up the good work!
:+1:

1 Like

This was great @WillieD !
Nice progress.
Your fretting hand looks great too.
The feedback I would give is to be mindful to pluck across the strings, may be just the camera angle but looks like you are plucking a tad downwards. Not a big deal but something to think about.

Well done for such a short time playing!!

3 Likes

All right all you Kats and Kittens… Grab your Zoot Suit and Bobby Socks because we are travelin’ back in time for this one. When I decided on this song, naturally I couldn’t find any sheet music for it. So I transcribed about half from the recording and improvised the other half.
I want to send out a special thanks to @PamPurrs and @John_E for their tutorial on Video Recording that they put together a little while ago. I learned a lot from them so I hope you like the video as well as the audio. As always, comments welcomed. Enjoy!

14 Likes

great as always @JerryP , as you know I really like your playing and attitude. you have this very “bass player” thing.

but there is a “but” : on this song your bass is really really over-mixed in my opinion, and/or over-bassy, and/or the dynamic range is too large between the parts where you play lightly and the parts where you play more heavily. really something to make the song sound way better in my opinion.

I’m not saying that your bass tone is bad : it’s not. definitly a good old-fashionned fat tone. but there should have been something in the mix to tame the bassy side, maybe a (heavy) compression and a high-pass filter to cut the “painful” frequencies while keeping the fat/dull character of the tone. and/or a selective leveling of the bass track, to kinda normalize the level of your track and make the difference of your playing more about the attack than about the volume.

I hope it makes sense :slight_smile: just trying to help obviously

2 Likes

Congrats @JerryP - that was great!
Looks like you have taken to DaVinci Resolve very quickly.
What cameras are you using? Great resolution.
Love the two camera angles along with the big band video mixed in too.

Bass sounds great - too high in the mix though for me as well.
I was going to suggest two things for next time you try to replicate an upright…

1. Lower the bass in the mix
  2. Foam under the strings - this takes out all the highs and deadens the sound closer to an upright as well. @terbs comments would certainly work as well here instead.
    No reason to remix or redo, but you could try @terb’s comments at home and see what you think.
    Your playing was excellent.
    You got a great tone there too.
    As always, a great cover!
3 Likes

yeah that’s a great video editing ! @PamPurrs has always been the queen here but some competition is starting to emerge :v::joy:

always a good idea for an old-fashioned tone, but it would not solve the mixing problem here

4 Likes

Thanks for the input @terb and @John_E . I’m going to remix and replace the video. I haven’t played much with compression so I will work on that. I do tend to mix the bass a bit hot.

Nothing special, just something I found on Amazon.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun editing that I decided to build a new video editing/DAW with enough power to handle the workload.
Thanks again guys.

3 Likes

@JerryP That was awesome, just one critique…you should have coordinated with @John_E to play the sax part!! Ok, fellas, the gauntlet has been thrown down!! :wink:

PS - Fantastic (and really cool) job on the video and editing! If I “ever” get around to doing another cover, I sure would like to follow @John_E and @PamPurrs models.

5 Likes