Post your covers! (2019-2022)

@terb will definitely start recording myself so I can see my progression. thanks for the words of encouragement!

3 Likes

@JerryP thanks jerry. skipped lessons today and am practicing a new song . i will go at it a couple more times and record myself again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot JD! Yeah, @John_E on the sax would be awesome!

3 Likes

As always it was great @JerryP
Loved the improvised bass line.
As basically a rock/metal fan I have always liked Glen Miller and I think you really did him justice

2 Likes

had some free time today, and figured since it was friday i would skip some lessons ( module 11 lesson 1) and just learn a song that is within my skill range. not a very intricate song but its a song i have always liked. there is a mistake in the video somewhere lol

Happy Friday everyone

down under by men at work
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lVokmZzN4clygmSTG-I_0xdr3b35q1Ai/view

6 Likes

Most of us have this issue (unless one is really really good at giving the finger, the middle finger is just not as strong) haha.

4 Likes

Great job @WillieD
Plucking looks solid!

You must have played an instrument before, no?
If not we are all in trouble, you are doing amazing for such a short time!

3 Likes

Thank you @Mac ! Much appreciated.

1 Like

Great job @WillieD ! You are doing very well for such short period of time.
:+1:

1 Like

Nice job @WillieD,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I liked this one Jerry @JerryP ,
I listened to it on my iPad with no headphones and the bass was nice in the mix imo.
Liked the 12 bar progression and the other pieces you put into it​:+1::sunglasses:
It all filled in nicely, nice camera work and liked the way you used the brass sections in your video👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thank you Brian!. I wanted to try something different with the video since I’m tired of watching myself play. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hey @JerryP - very professional cover and video! I personally think the bass sits fine in the mix but maybe it’s because I’m listening on smaller speakers.

The improv is really good. Fits right in with the original :slight_smile: . I prefer that in a cover myself, instead of trying to exactly 100% replicate the original, but I guess it depends what your goal is…

Ed

4 Likes

Thanks @Ed ! I was wondering about how the improv part would fit in.
I re-mixed the audio portion last night and replaced the video with the new mix this morning. I hope that @terb Laurent and @John_E might give it another listen and let me how I did.
Thanks again!

4 Likes

well done @JerryP , this new mix sounds way more balanced.

I still find the bass tone too bassy for this song : in my opinion it’s because it doesn’t sound like an instrument that would have been recorded in the 30’s. it sounds more modern (recording-wise, at least) and the mix kinda sounds like the bass would be outside of the song, somewhat.

but it’s fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Laurent! I appreciate you taking a second listen.

4 Likes

This is the trouble with trying to get a mix to sound good from phone speakers (tailored to voice) to boomy subwoofer systems. I’ve found though that if it sounds great on a phone it won’t in higher quality systems so I tend to shoot for things sounding good on the higher end since it stands out more if too high on them. There’s a reason so many channels / people say “don’t listen through phone / etc …”

4 Likes

Sounds good! I like the thumpy tone though.
Gives it an updated vibe but keeps some of the original thump.

3 Likes

Thanks John!

2 Likes

Hi! I’m posting this quickly before I think about it too much!
My goals with this cover are:

• learn a song
  • record the song
  • take some video of me playing the song
  • put it all together and post

That’s it. So.

17 Likes