Improv Lessons

I just recently finished the improv with the minor scale lesson, and have to say, the improv workouts have probably been the most fun I have had playing bass. Such a simple starting concept to truly make you feel like you know what you’re doing on bass. Unlimited possibilities.

I think part of it stems from these feeling like “aha” lessons, where everything before it suddenly just clicks in to place and Josh ever so slyly has you essentially writing a bass line on the fly with some guided tips. Love it.

1 Like

I’m severely lacking on my improv skills! I keep telling myself to go back through the lessons, and so I shall. Some day.

I just really want to be able to jam, even if I don’t know the song.

This book (also available on Amazon) is the bomb for improvisation. I’ve tried a lot of different ways of learning improv and so far I’ve made more progress with this method than any other. Things are working that I didn’t even know could work.

It’s a different approach than I’ve ever been taught at (I say it that way on purpose cause it’s always how it felt.

I still suck at it, but I’m actually advancing!

I know, another useless book …. Not so in this one.
Of course, YMMV.

1 Like

I’ll look into that. I’ve redone the major and minor improv lessons 4 or five times. Usually as a warmup then jump to current lesson. At some point I’ll get around to downloading the backing track and just going ham on it.