The show they play outside Exxon oils head office in New York is awesome👍
RIP Bones😎
Cheers Brian

2 Likes
1 Like

Ugh. Waaaaaay too young.

3 Likes
6 Likes

This is never a good thread to have to update.

4 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

I knew he had a heart attack last week and was not recovering well. So sorry to hear he passed away. Jim must have been a great guy. He was a great player and teacher. I hope bassbuzz folks who aren’t familiar with him will check out his YT videos.

5 Likes

I just found out last weekend about Jim passing away. The news just devastated me, I got into Jim’s “Real Bass Lessons” lessons when I first started to look at bass playing & long before I saw Bass Buzz. While B2B was really more my true starting level at that time, Jim was an amazing teacher and the more I learn as I progress on my bass journey, the more I see how invaluable his lessons are. At the time I wasn’t up to his level of playing or even understanding, but he is really inspiring and encouraging. He was the first teacher I saw playing Squier basses which made me pay attention at the time, as I was amazed at how good they sounded.
The annoying thing this past week, as I have totally binged his RBL video’s a lot, was really annoyingly - Scotts Bass Lessons - stupid click bait crap kept showing up in my feed. Scott is so annoying to me, with his 2 seconds of info and a load of upselling and waffle. Don’t even get me started on the “Glove”! It would be interesting to see how many people have been put off learning bass because of this guy. Jim was the real deal, sure you could buy one of his books, but he wasn’t trying to ram stuff down your throat or boasting about how good he used to be, he wanted you to realize, that to get good you have to “practise”. The issue with YouTube and bass stuff, is that its hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I bought into Jeff Berlin’s reading course and spent a fortune on it! When I see the actual level of content he provided, I realized that I could have got the same information from one of Jim’s books and a few Real Bass Lessons YouTube videos for less than US$25 dollars. I encourage anyone that has finished the B2B course to check out Jim and his videos. Give them a chance, really listen to what he is telling you and it will have a big effect on you and your playing. Real Bass Lessons indeed! R.I.P - Jim Stinnett

7 Likes

I bought his Motown and Reading books last week. It will be a while before I get to them. Started watching his videos about a month before he passed away ;((

3 Likes
1 Like

Ugh. Another one down.

1 Like

trust me, I do not enjoy updating this thread :frowning:

4 Likes

wow, what a career.

5 Likes

Another great loss :pensive:

3 Likes

wow I didn’t know about this until I randomly saw a video from Mike Gordon from Phish about it last night. Apparently Jim was his bass tutor/mentor, and even joined Phish on stage occasionally. I’ve watched a ton of the RBL videos on youtube, will be getting his books. Loved his positive personality and teaching style. He was a gem.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Ugh. Ball of Confusion was an amazing bassline.

2 Likes