Inconsistent tone between plucking fingers

I generally get (sort of) the tone I"m trying for from my index finger when plucking.
But.
Sometimes my middle finger sounds the same and sometimes it sounds harsh and almost pops.
If I really think about starting the pluck with the pad of the middle finger it sounds better - but I never think about where I’m starting my index finger, so I don’t get why it should be different.
I notice Josh seems to pluck the same place on the string with both fingers whereas I seem to contact the string a cm or two apart, roughly parallel to how far apart they are when not crossed.
Anyone have any thoughts or guidance on this?
Thanks,
Don

4 Likes

I think it will probably even out in time. I noticed inconsistent tone and volume back when I first started. If I remember right it evened out pretty quickly.

5 Likes

Practice, practice, practice :+1:

6 Likes

Thanks, I’ll definitely keep practicing.

4 Likes

What @REPA said

3 Likes

Are your nails trimmed, or a little long? Are they uneven length? It doesn’t take much to catch the string and change the tone.

The first lesson I had with Josh, I was playing a few things for him as he was assessing my skill level. His comment was, your plucking technique is good, but does your middle finger need to be clipped? Sure enough my middle finger was untrimmed and my index finger was clipped. It was not long really, just maybe .5mm (.02"), but it was there. I probably broke the edge of my index finger and ripped off the excess nail, so it was short, to the fingerl, But I had not gotten around to my middle finger with the clippers.

He heard that when I was playing out of my practice amp and on ZOOM WEB APP thru my Ipad.

I now keep nail clippers at arms reach from where I play bass.

4 Likes

Agree!

Agree!

And, yes, agree here too.

If it keeps happening and you can’t figure out what the problem is, holler back here and post a video so we can see/hear what’s going on. Happy to send more comments.

3 Likes

Super good tip.
Thanks

3 Likes

I keep an emory board nearby when I practice, to file my plucking first fingernail down to nothing almost daily. That is the finger that catches the string for me.

3 Likes

Great idea. I thought clippers worked for me, but I think the emory board might be better, for playing and just for making your hands feel better all around.

2 Likes