Individual pedals vs. multi effects

Yes. they have several levels of buy-in, and the ability to buy specific ones. Check the “Products” menu on their site.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info. I’ll take it from here.

2 Likes

Cool! Give it a shot, it’s a nice bundled way to get a lot of effects to try for a month for cheap. And they also have the initial free trial.

2 Likes

Ooooooh I’m listening to the distortion demo. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Yeah I really like their stuff. It’s made for synth music production but it works great for guitars and drums too. And both SnapHeap and MultiPass have some very good presets for mixing and mastering too.

2 Likes

The correct answer is “why not both”? They have their places and uses. A Zoom B3n is like $160 bucks. It isn’t cost prohibitive, doesn’t take long to learn to use, has good amp/cab sims and a TON of effects. I started on it, and then tone hunting led me to individual pedals, which I use live and for recording. But I still have the Zoom and use it regularly. Some tones are really good. Mostly the drum machine and looper (that work together even!) are invaluable!

3 Likes

I’ll add, for the price, a multi effect pedal (cheaper one like a zoom) also gives you a good idea of what effects you might like. They are there to use. Try them all out. If you REALLY like one then you can buy the individual pedal.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much the same thing I told him…

The difference for me was, once I started accumulating individual pedals, I had no further use for the Zoom. In all the time I owned Zooms, I never once used the looper, drum beats, or tuner as I have Reaper to use as a looper, an Alesis drum machine, and a TCE Polytune tuner. The Zoom was just taking up space, so why keep it?

Yeah, if you have alternatives no reason to keep it. There is a timing skill and sort of a different ability to using it.

1 Like

I fell down the pedal rabbit hole early on and spent some silly dollars on stuff that due to my wierd practice times I don’t use for fears of upsetting the neighbours ( ace of spades at 1.30 am seems not to be the done thing)
But I have them now and one day they will get used properly

3 Likes

I find myself on the individual pedal vs. multi effects merry-go-round right now too. I started with a modeling amp, the Fender Rumbel LT25. Great little practice amp, sounds very good, TONS of effects and is quite well done. But quickly wanted something bigger because I waned to play with other humans, my drummer brother-in-law in particular, and needed more than 25 watts to compete. So I got the Peavey Max 300 combo, and half a dozen pedals and I have been very happy.

Now my Peavey is in the shop and I reverted back to the LT25 because I like playing through an amp much more than via headphones through my DAI and DAW. Once I started playing with all the effects again I immediately got sparks of creativity because I think Ooooo… this thing I like to play will sound great with that effect… and off I go. I’ve also discovered I like having BOTH, at once. So my pedal board goes straight into the LT25 and I have even more options.

So now I find myself shopping for an affordable multi effects unit I like. I’m kind of leaning towards the Boss GT-1B because I like the physical interface and like the software interface even better (<<this is important to me). It gets good reviews and any negatives I’ve seen I either am not worried about or already have a simple work around. The price is right, and I have $200 dollar Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket too. So it will basically be free… actually it will be free because I have enough points on my Amazon card to more than cover the rest of the cost and the power adapter (not included… SO stupid!!!).

But I also can’t help looking at the Line6 HX Stomp which although not bass specific, gets high marks from the reviews I’ve seen for it for bass, but I’m having trouble justifying $600 for it. Next runner up is the Line 6 POD Go, a little cheaper ($480) than the HX stomp, also good reviews… but look Ooooo they have a wireless one too now… back to the almost the $600 mark($580) . Oh the GAS is killing me!!!

I believe anything that inspires you and makes you want to play more is a great thing!!! There is no wrong way, as long as it sounds good to you and you are having fun it’s a WIN!!!

Ok… off to watch more YouTube reviews!

L8r
Chris

5 Likes

Don’t forget to look at the Zoom B3n if you are in research mode. I’ve been looking at it and I’ve been impressed so far. Some say it is only marginally less pristine sounding than the HX Stomp, but that the UI is easier to use. Marcus Miller toured with one in 2019 (and maybe since then, not sure).

3 Likes

I had that one for awhile after I sold my B1 4x. It’s a great little box.

2 Likes

I owned a B3n for quite a while and would definitely choose it over the GT-1B, but I wouldn’t compare it to a Line 6 (Helix or POD) for sound quality. It’s good but not really in the same league. Nor should it be at a third of the price - not slandering it in any way, it’s an excellent buy. As is the B1four.

4 Likes

Look at them all, get confused, buy some, wait a while, buy some more, sell some, sell them all and go multi-effects, buy some back, buy more, sell multi-effects.

Do I have that right?
:rofl:

6 Likes

Yeah it’s basically exactly like any other gear :slight_smile:

The Zooms are really reasonably priced for their quality though, some of the best money I ever spent on gear.

5 Likes

I agree. If I ever ditch my pedal board and go back to multi-effects, I would definitely get another B3n.

3 Likes

Ok… I’ll admit it, I was very much overlooking the Zoom B3n. Mostly because I don’t really care for the form factor / look of the unit itself. So thank you all for bringing it to my attention once again.

I’ve now done a pretty deep dive into it on YouTube, read the manual, dissected the FX and patch lists, also YouTubed the Guitar Lab software for it, and I have to say I think it may be the winner.

First off, I didn’t realize it was metal and not plastic. I really thought it was a red plastic box, but metal scored some points.

The interface was confusing to look at at first, but I found a video where most of the topics I was wondering about were covered. He kind of fumbles around with it a bit, but I actually found that helpful and think it’s fairly intuitive now. Skip to 5:10 for the B3n

They seem to be going a very good job supporting it and keeping the Guitar Lab software (Some of their other products use it too) and the B3n firmware up to date.

I could maybe see them doing a new version with a color touch screen down the road. It seems to be the direction most of the multi effects boxes are going, which I do like. But I’m 100% sure it won’t be $219 if they ever go that route.

So the effects I was after to begin with, amp and cab sims, drum machine, and a looper. I think the Zoom is a great bang for the buck!!! You all helped very much!!! Thank you!!!

Oh, and Amazon Prime claims it will be delivered 2 days, because I just completed the checkout :star_struck:

Thanx
Chris

5 Likes

Excellent choice :slight_smile:

4 Likes