Individual pedals vs. multi effects

I don’t know if this applies to the B3n, but at least for the B1four, tonelib is 100% more usable than GuitarLab. I did only try GuitarLab once, but if tonelib works for the B3n, I’d recommend at least giving it a look.

3 Likes

It does, used it a lot.

3 Likes

I like individual pedals because it’s fun. It’s like playing legos when you get to patch things together and play with the order.

I like only having to think about one pedal at a time. The zillions of options in a DAW or the huge number of options in a multi fx are both way to overwhelming for me. I know I would get lost for hours in mostly irrelevant minute changes.

Choosing to use individual pedals is a way of setting limitations on myself. Here is what you have. What can you do with it? If I don’t set those limitations for myself, I very quickly get lost in all the options and that takes away from actual play time.

The biggest thing that keeps me away from multi effects pedals is having to spend time learning and using the interface. I’ve never seen anyone call a multi effects interface good or intuitive. The best review I’ve read said brand x is better than brand y which is usually considered terrible.

All of these things are true.

For me, I need to keep things separate so I can think of them in smaller pieces. That gets into knowing yourself and knowing what creates the easiest route to being productive.

Maybe it would help to think of what the workflow would be like using a multi effects unit versus the work flow of using individual pedals and think about which one would make you more productive.

@akos I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Or you could use them both? You can still use individual pedals with a multi-effect unit. That’s also one of the reasons why most multi-fx have a send and return so you can plug external pedals in the chain.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been considering that as well - go for the Helix Stomp instead of the Floor, and spend the remaining money on pedals. And then I’d primarily be using the pedals for effects, and the Stomp for cab sim and DAI (and to fill in any gaps on the pedalboard).

3 Likes

The Helix FX is also a sensible route. Pretty much the same as the Stomp, but just a different physical interface. Personal preference of course. I think I’m going for a Zoom B3n though as I don’t feel I’m ready for something as fancy as the Stomp yet and I’m worried about analysis paralysis with it. Maybe in a couple years though, but who knows what else will be out then. Been a great year for bass and guitar sales, so I think we’ll see some new toys in the next 1-2 years for the growing player base.

3 Likes

That a good route JT. I also started with a basic entry level unit (Zoom) and upgraded to the HX Stomp a few years later. I bought a used POD not so long ago just because the older generations units are so much fun to play with.

2 Likes

Let us know what you think of it. I struggled to find a demo of the drum machine, but found one for the G3n, which is the guitar version. As far as I can tell the drum machine in the G3n and the B3n is exactly the same.

Those aren’t bad really, not sure how much I will use them because I just picked up a mint BeatBuddy Mini 2 with the Singular Sounds external footswitch from eBay the other day for $115. There was a type-o in the auction and it had ZERO bids until the last 1 min, so I swooped in and sniped it properly so an auto bid site couldn’t steal it from me.

L8r
Chris

2 Likes