Indonesia or Mexico... does one seem to have better quality?

Was just curious what you all thought about quality of MIM vs. Indonesia.
I have no bias or answer, have a few Indonesian basses that are really nicely done, no experience with Mexico

5 Likes

My Fender strat is MIM. Absolutely no issues with quality.

7 Likes

I only have playing experience with my Indonesian Squier Jazz Bass, @John_E, but have handled a MIM Precision Bass, and it seemed at least as good, if not slightly better quality . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

@John_E, no indonesia experience for me either. But, as far as MIM, I refer you back to my Mike Dirnt signature edition, MIM Fender P-Bass, “Thumper” as you so kindly referred to her! :wink:

Seems like the quality and build is just as satisfactory as my MIA Fender J-Bass. Definitely a different feel due to the neck being different dims (nut width mainly), the woods being different, and the different pickup, but I still love her just the same. And, my new Mustang is also MIM, no complaints thus far.

Not sure if this helps, but my two cents.

8 Likes

My Yamaha TRBX504 was made in Indonesia and the quality is top notch.

4 Likes

I’ve had this Squire Vintage '70s P-bass from Indonesia for about three weeks now and I’m very happy with the build quality and sound.

9 Likes

She’s a beauty!!

Ok, Bass envy strikes again…I want one (a bass) with some block inlays like that on the fretboard.

5 Likes

Understand if you remove the thin plastic protection from the pickguard you’re not going to be able to reapply the Fender FREE sticker! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The CNC machine really doesn’t care which country it’s in. Cor-Tek (based in Indonesia) ghost manufacturer for PRS, Squier, Ibanez etc. I think they’re the world’s biggest manufacturer. The quality control is generally very good.

I’ve had 4 instruments from Indonesia and they’ve all been excellent.

They make their own stuff branded as Cort. Long story short. Japan, S Korea, Indonesia it’s all good. It’s the golden age for reasonably priced instruments.

8 Likes

Thanks @JDDaniel!

3 Likes

I pulled the plastic off right after I took that picture.
:joy:

6 Likes

My Ibanez is Indonesian and my Fender is MIM. No major issues with either although I think the Ibanez might just have a slight edge

5 Likes

I’m not joking when I say this: I would compare my Indonesian basses with MIA, not MIM. Quality and finish is top notch and frankly they sound at least as good, often better.

No, seriously:

The BB beats the P there easily, especially the J pickup. Now Fender isn’t known for its pickups, but this was stock vs stock. And it squares with my experience in music stores.

Indonesia is taking the same sweet spot Korea did a while back - making really high quality instruments at a really good price. If you are buying a reputable brand you’ll likely have few quality issues as they inspect them before shipping anyway.

5 Likes

Another thing to realize about MIM vs MIA for Fender - the difference between them is not necessarily because the craftmanship in making them was worse, but because Fender artificially limits parts and materials based on where the basses are made. USA gets the best quality parts and wood with the premium choices for things like bridge, tuners, and pickups; MIJ second, MIM third.

This is a brand thing, and does not affect Indonesian made instruments in the same way, unless the maker pulls a Fender and limits the goodies to the US instruments.

Using the Yamaha BB line as an example, the difference between the MiI BB734 and the MiJ BBP34 is primarily that the BBP gets a heat treatment the BB doesn’t. On the other hand the BB734 has features the BBP doesn’t, they use the same pickups, hardware, and wood choices, and in general are equally good basses.

7 Likes

That’s a really nice looking Squier.

4 Likes

The factory matters more than the country. You can have good and bad businesses making a bass in the same country, just like any other product. Are all cheeseburgers made in the USA the same quality?

Now if you are talking about a specific factory vs another then that’s an easier conversation. For example, Fender Indonesia vs Fender Mexico.

4 Likes

I have to agree to this… My A4 was supposedly top of the line up for Cort and it is also MII and I adore the material and workmanship on it!

8 Likes

Another thing to realize is that the two factories are about 3-4 hours drive (and one border crossing) away from each other, AND Fender sends at least 2 truck back and forth daily. Many of the MIA things are roughed and / or semi finished (necks and bodies) in the Mexico plant where they have their CNC shop, and it is cheaper to do the manufacturing (vs hand crafting) part of it in Mexico, and drive them across.
So unless a complete custom master craft, it is most likely your MIA was actually MIA&M

8 Likes

@T_dub “unsuspiciously” staking out the Fender factories

11 Likes

Thanks @howard!

4 Likes