Infected with MAD!

Ya bluetooth in the B7K would be the shizzle.

2 Likes

Ok, guys, I did it again.
since I am not convinced of my EDEN basshead, I have been lurking some time for a new amp. Considered an Ampeg SVT but itā€™s a d*** costly toy. Apart from this I am tired of that ā€œoops-a-tube-needs-to-be-replacedā€ business. Call it EL-34 syndrom.

Finally I came back to what I had in my youth: Orange. My dad gifted me an Orange amp at my 16th anniversary (Mom didnā€™t know of course). It was a guitar amp but many people used it for bass in the old days.

Back to the roots now :slight_smile:
Ordered an Orange OB1-500 (Obi-One Kenobi :wink:) yesterday. Hope it will provide the same tremendous rock-sound I still have in my ears after almost four decades. Report followsā€¦

5 Likes

I thought MAD was Multiple Amp Disease. Once I pick up my Eden WTX264 and 4x10 Ashdown Evo II Cab, I will add it to my Peavey Basic 112, Ampeg B-108, and my Gallien Krueger Backline 115. It is a disease and I have succumbed to it. My bass guitars are awesome, so I spend my money on the amps.

2 Likes

Iā€™m very much looking forward to your thoughts on this AMP. Iā€™ve been quietly plotting AMP #2 and the OB1-500 is very much on my shot list.

Chris

2 Likes

To start with, I donā€™t like amps with two dozen dials at their front. Less is more.

The OB1-500 just got a three band eq, volume, distortion and blend (balance between clean and distorted signal). Nevertheless the OB1-500 gives you every sound you might want. The sound adjustment is very effective, a slight movement of a dial noticeably changes the sound.

Volume. This amp is incredibly loud. Orange says its got 500 watt RMS. British understatement at its best. Subjectively, the output power seems to be significantly higher.

The OBI-500 has a temperature controlled fan and I never noticed itā€™s running on volumes I play. Either itā€™s not running or itā€™s well silenced and the amp ainā€™t get hot even if played for hours.

Although itā€™s a class A/B amp, it provides the typical Orange sound. It adds some color to the sound (pan intended).

Negatives? The amp instantly disclosed the limitations of my Eden 2x10" cab. Got to replace it with an Orange OBC-115. Be aware this amp can cause follow up investments. :grin: I have an OBC-112 coming in today to complete the family.

No more negatives! You wonā€™t miss the tubes.

Summary: Iā€™m absolutely happy with the sound and the quality of this amp. You canā€™t beat the Brits on rock sound.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved Orange graphic design, especially their iconography.

3 Likes

Nice! Orange rocks :metal:

Yeah me too! You can spot Orange gear from miles away.

2 Likes

Agree @howard and @Paul. I love the unique color and the sixties ā€˜flower powerā€™ design as much as the sound.

Too bad, the OBC-112 cabinet is black :see_no_evil:, but it was the last one avail in Europe. Estimated delivery time for todayā€™s orders is 12 to 16 weeks. Brexit rulezā€¦

2 Likes

Fantastic write up!!! Thank you!!! Although buying gear based on YouTube audio alone is not my preference. Iā€™ve become quite the fan of the orange amp sound.

The OB1-500 is actually phase two of my next upgrade. I have a Peavey Max 300 watt combo that I plan on adding an Orange OBC-115 to get as much out of it as I can. The thinking is that the 115 will be the last step in this rig and the first step towards the next. Then I can get the OB1-500 and have options for what Iā€™m looking to use them for. Finally, I can add either another orange 115 to the stack or an orange 410 depending on which way I want to go with the sound of that rig.

My only concern, although be it an uneducated one as far as class a/b amps go, is that will the OB1-500 have enough power to drive two 115 ā€™ s or a 115 and a 410?

Thanx
Chris

2 Likes

I guarantee it will! :metal:

One OBC-115 is equivalent to a wrecking ball, two areā€¦ OVERKILL. Positively meant.

But the 115ā€™s are damn heavy (about 75 lbs ) as are the 4x10", so I opted for the lightweight 112. I need a speaker I can easily take to a jam session.

If the small one doesnā€™t satisfy me, Iā€™ll returned it and get me another 115 one day.

3 Likes

Got the OBC-112 yesterday. First impressions are positive, more mids and noticeably brighter than the 115. The two Oranges :grin: could make a good team, but itā€™s far too early for a final word. The 12" / 400 W cab is surprisingly light (11,85 kg ~ 26 lbs ).

Will take it to a garage jam next Wednesday. Iā€™m curious if the lightweight can keep up against a drum kit.

5 Likes

have your neighbors started moving yet?

2 Likes

Um, now that you mention itā€¦ I have seen movers a lot nearby.
:joy:

1 Like