Installed flatwounds and did a set up

Sounds messy :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Do you agree with the assessment that tapes are brighter?

3 Likes

Indeed

Plus those black tapewound strings look bad ass on my flat black bass :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@doylecb you piqued my desire to switch back to my tape wounds. I love the tone, and those black nylon wrapped strings really add to the mysterious look of my stealth black Yammie.

7 Likes

LOL, Just found my post from May 22, 2020. I am now a flats guy! I put flats back on some time in August and haven’t taken them off. They feel great and have the tone I want. I use Fender 9050L on my Road Worn 50s Precision Bass and it is sweet.

6 Likes

Thanks for the tip on the tapewounds! I picked up a fretless bass over the summer that came with chrome flats, and i just LOVE the feel of them.

I picked up a set of rotosound flatwounds for my jazz bass, but haven’t been as impressed with the feel. was going to grab another set of chromes, but maybe i’ll try out tapewounds instead!

anyone got a recommendation on tapewounds they like? something with a similar feel to chromes would be most welcome!

4 Likes

I play the D’Addario XL Black Nylon Tapewounds and love the tone.

5 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs! since I like chromes, probably can’t go wrong with the d’addario tapewounds! will check these out :grin:

4 Likes

Flats for everything but slap. That’s all I use rounds for, hence the rarely used peavey fury.

2 Likes

Exactly! If I was interested in slapping (which I’m not) I would have a dedicated bass with rounds on it.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs the d’addario nylon tapewounds finally arrived :drooling_face: and i cannot thank you enough for the recommendation!

absolute :butter:

what a silky smooth buttery feel, and warm tone but much more defined than i anticipated. when i felt them, i thought flat rubbery sound for sure, and there’s a little bit of that, but really they are more well rounded than i imagined - bit more punch under the skin. anyway they really are a joy to play, five minutes of tinkering turned into 90 minutes jamming out haha. i put them on my aerodyne jazz, which i really hadn’t enjoyed playing since i brought the thing home. two rounds of sub-par strings were making it a chore to play, but finding these strings has really opened up the potential of this instrument for me now, and i really feel like i’ve found the voice i was looking for in this bass!

time to get my recording setup situated ;D

5 Likes

I’m glad you like them. I just put mine back on my Yammie BB735 a couple days ago. I keep going back and forth between the LaBella flats and these, but I think I’m going to stick with the tapes for awhile.
Not to mention, they look very badass on Rosies flat black body.

5 Likes

I put flats on recently - just to try them out. Definitely a different feel! These are Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkies. I really like the sound, but honestly there’s less of a difference than I expected. I think the string gauge has more impact than the flat/round, at least for these strings. I haven’t decided if I like these or the rounds better - and of course, which rounds? I think the only thing you can do is play with different strings and see what you like and what fits your style the best. I’ll be recording some songs with these before I change them so I can compare later. Zoom makes inexpensive, easy-to-use recorders. There are many others out there also.

Don’t be afraid to change strings and do a new setup - it’s actually really easy.

2 Likes

OK, that’s one badass looking guitar!

3 Likes

what a beauty!! did you customize the pick guard yourself? it looks fabulous! now I’m sad none of my basses have a pick guard lol! love the pj pickup configuration as well - same as my aerodyne which i am finally appreciating.

I’m also very curious about the la bellas. do you feel like there is a significant difference in tone? i think that’ll be the next purchase, i hear nothing but great things about la bellas.

but these tapewounds are just wild, I’ve never played on anything like them before. pure butter. they don’t rough up my fingers at all, i find myself playing for hours at a time now - and the new glove i got has seen no love since stringing these up lol. and i love that i can get this already upright bass tone with them.

definitely encourage everyone to give these a try if possible, what an experience!

2 Likes

Thank you. My spouse Sara makes things with vinyl appliques, and she did my pick guard for me.
I like the LaBellas also. They are smooth as glass and a bit duller than the tape wounds.

2 Likes