Installed flatwounds and did a set up

I bought a set of DR Strings Legend flatwounds and slapped them on the bass today. I then did a complete set-up using John Corruthers’ vids on YouTube. I really took my time and learned a lot. And also I didn’t snap my bass in half doing it, LOL.

The flats were a bit more tension and the truss rod needed tweaked. I also lowered the action a good amount. Wow I LOVE the sound and how it plays. Very happy and stoked!!!

16 Likes

Well done!

4 Likes

Thinking of going to flats when I get the short scale back together and this post has helped a little with my decision :+1:

4 Likes

Yeah, I still have not gone flats yet, I got Coated DR Black Beauties, and I am not 100% sure how I feel about them.
I may put flats on my ESP if the newness of the factory strings doesn’t wear down soon, they are so Britt and twangy Nicole round wounds.
Or flats on my SUB Ray. I put new old strings on it, and not digging it too much. Thinking flats, or DR ORANGE coated strings.

Great job on the set up btw. Nice and rewarding to do it yourself, then it is so awesome to have the lower, much more playable action too

3 Likes

Good job @Kopusetic. I’m glad you love your flats, I do too.

There’s been a lot of Flats vs Rounds discussion on the forum… some people love 'em (me) some hate 'em. Some have never tried flats, but hate 'em anyway.

5 Likes

Wha…wha…what!!!

Oh, I guess they claim they don’t like the sound???

3 Likes

That’s what some people say :woman_shrugging:

Imagine playing at a gig and watching people in the audience walking out in disgust, chanting “OMG listen. The bass player is playing flat wound strings!”.

Oh the horror!

6 Likes

ROTFLMAO

4 Likes

I have a set of flats waiting for my Hofner. Hopefully this weekend I’ll put them on.

6 Likes

I’m in the process of discovering jazz. I’ve always liked all types of music but have been a metal head mostly.

I found a song by Idris Muhammad called ‘Loran’s Dance‘ and I fell in love with that bass tone. It’s a simple, thick groove that holds down the song brilliantly.

My buddy is an actual bassist/musician and he said the bassist in that track was Gary King and he used flatwounds on a hollow-body bass. I was sold!

5 Likes

Care to share the song?

2 Likes

Loran’s Dance

Turn up the bass and enjoy.

3 Likes

Thanks, will give a listen when I am by my headphones

3 Likes

I just took my flatwounds off. Had them on my P bass for about 2 weeks. Took some getting used to but in the end went back to the rounds. I may go back to them at some point. Everyone should try them and check them out.

5 Likes

I can understand that. I think they feel great, but in the end, not the sound I am looking for.

4 Likes

Right there with you @PamPurrs! I have flats on all 4 of my basses!

3 Likes

Nice car! Idris mohammad is the bomb. Isn’t the track you mentioned the one sampled in a beastie boys song?

1 Like

Actually not sampled, covered.

1 Like

One thing about flats people need to remember is that they (people on the Internet with more experience than me) say flats can take a few months to really Break in and sound their best. I’m in the process of string exploration myself. I have the Ernie Ball slinky flats on my Schecter. I’m trying to mellow out my schecter and think I need to go with flats that are less bright. I’m about to get an Acoustic and I’m going to try tapeworms on that. In doing research I was surprised to find the tape wound‘s are actually brighter than flats and really more of that middle ground. I’m pretty optimistic about the tapes.

4 Likes

I go back and forth between tapewounds and flatwounds. I have sets of each that I switch back and forth on my Yamaha BB735. I really like them both.

2 Likes