Instruments vs rain

Just watched this video of Metallica performing in pouring rain, and I’m a bit confused about a couple of things.

Are all those instruments totalled after the show? Or are they damaged but usable? Or are they completely back to normal and ready for the next show once they dry out?

How the hell does everything just keep working in these conditions in the first place? The pickups, pedals, microphones, all the wires and electronics… I don’t imagine all of those are waterproof from end to end. How is nothing shorting out?

Also, how isn’t any of this an electrocution risk to someone somewhere?

6 Likes

Maybe they Milli Vanilli’d it!

3 Likes

Rain water isn’t quite as bad for things so as long as you dry everything out after, it’ll be mostly ok. It’s definitely going to shorten the life of things but I think they can probably afford new stuff…

It looks like they’re using wireless for most of the stuff and they should be plugged into a surge suppressor and GFCI/RCD so that should reduce the risk of electrocution.

2 Likes

I’d worry most about the mics. And amps/PAs of course.

3 Likes

Gotta give it to them for playing in the rain. I’m sure the techs were busy drying those instruments out after the show.

That purple sparkle drum kit looks awesome! That would be a great color on a bass!

2 Likes

Looks fantastic on a Bongo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks better OFF a Bongo :joy:

3 Likes

LOL! Bongo aesthetics is an acquired taste!

2 Likes

Better an unacquired taste. That thing makes my teeth hurt.

1 Like

Absolutely my favorite design MusicMan has done.

3 Likes

Hey @JoshFossgreen and @Gio, have you guys ever played in rain like this?

2 Likes

You’re not a fan of the Fisher Price aesthetic?

1 Like

It’s the most interesting looking product ever associated with Leo Fender :rofl:

I mean I love my P-bass so far, but the Bongo is just a good look IMO.

1 Like

My FirstBass™

:rofl:

2 Likes

unlike the other mofo’s around here :rofl:, you are a man of class :+1:

bongoloids :fist:

2 Likes

Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don’t think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I’ll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!

:wink:

I don’t know.
I can’t fathom the technology that Metallica, their crew, and the stadium (probably optimized for weather, as it’s in the UK and as all as Americans know, it is only ever rainy and weather-ravaged over yonder) have at their disposal.

I’ve played in mist, light rain, and freezing cold.
I’ve been pulled from a festival stage because there was a lightning storm, but I’ve never just blasted through a rain storm.

I imagine that if you have everything going wireless from active electronics into in-ear monitors, maybe you’re OK?
Again, the wizardry and trickery of a multi-million dollar stage show is infinitely powerful. I’m sure they could perform in the Mariana Trench if necessary.

5 Likes

I was there! We were all completely soaked half way through it and I remember wondering the same, how did they make it work?

What surprised me is that there was never a moment of hesitation like in other shows (hey, it’s raining, should we stop…?). Nah, James Hetfield just shrugged, said “it’s a bit of water” and carried on :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

:fist: bongo powwa!

3 Likes

Some people don’t like Bongos and I happen to think any that any bass with a burl top looks like a giant crappy toasted cheese sandwich.

None of these opinions are important. The only truth is everyone should have a P Bass

4 Likes