Interesting music website - Musicmap

Not sure if this is a permitted post as it isn’t directly bass-related, but it has to do with music. My apologies if I’ve overstepped the boundaries. The Genealogy and History of Popular Music Genres from Origin till Present (1870-2016) Music Map. Just thought I’d share.

By the way, I signed up for the lessons and I think it was a great decision. I didn’t realize what was missing in the other lessons I have tried, now I do. I appreciate Josh taking us through the three levels of practice. And the encouraging words and tidbits of information along the way are an added bonus. Thanks to everyone for suggesting that I sign up.

15 Likes

You’re right, it is an interesting site, @eharrell :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you’ve signed up for @JoshFossgreen’s course, and hope you have great success with it . . . :+1:

All best, Joe

4 Likes

@eharrell No boundaries overstepped. That’s a pretty cool site.

2 Likes

All good @eharrell! Looks cool and glad you’re digging the course!

2 Likes

I started zooming in, two hours later and I’m thinking of applying for a Degree in Music History. Three hours later and I’m thinking Nah, I’ll just keep referring to the Musicmap. Great heads up there and Ta!

2 Likes

I am glad you are enjoying it.

3 Likes

Fascinating
Thanks for posting

1 Like

here is a great site I found today, it helps finding “similar” bands based on a band name. I tried it with the bands I like and it works very well.

(as it’s on the Hate5six site I’m not sure it would work for other styles than rock/metal)

4 Likes

Wow that got some very obscure bands that I actually like. It worked better than I expected.

2 Likes

yeah I was surprised too

2 Likes

Cool… you have to feed it the right names, then it also starts to spit out prog and fusion stuff :grin:

4 Likes

… just using again the SAGE app to find new bands. this thing is incredible. in only one search, it said to me that I could like Converge, Doomriders, Will Haven, Baptists, Botch, Employed To Serve (in the middle of a lot of others band that I don’t know). and, yes, I like all them. and I can’t think of anyone who just know all those bands :sweat_smile: I’m really impressed right now.

1 Like

Yeah when I searched it turned up a bunch of really obscure post-punk bands that I liked. It also seemed to do really well with “dislikes” - it did not wipe out whole genres, but I did not see similar artists in the genres.

1 Like

interesting, I havn’t used the “dislike” field yet

edit : I just did it with “Comadre”, a band suggested by SAGE that I actually disliked a lot.

The only sound effect I use in my videos is my bass playing lol

1 Like

@eharrell thanks for posting I have seen these posters in the past but didn’t know where people got them!