Interfacing my bass, PC and Amp... noise :(

That’s actually strange. For me, none of them have had noticeable noise except when really cranked.

I suspect this is actually your monitors and not the DAI.

I may have misunderstood the problem…
Are you only hearing the noise on the recorded file?
or also from the combo when the DAI is connected?

Yeah the monitors have some.
And yes the DAIs were cranked!

1 Like

All amps and preamps have noise towards the extremes of their output range. Additionally, the more amplification stages you have in series will increase this as each amplifies the noise from the previous one. If it has a gain knob, it’s a suspect. Even things like compressors with an output gain control.

Bass volume all the way up with interim gains as low as possible is the best route for passive basses. Active it is a balance as it depends on the quality of the onboard preamp.

1 Like

like I can get it through the amp ok, cos the DI box has a “thru” out to go to the amp, but it’s noisy to the DAI pretty much whatever I do
(recordings were fairly quiet BTW, because trust me, you did not wanna hear what happened if I turned the input up! just glad I didn’t have my headphones on at the time is all I’m saying! :joy:)

1 Like

@DeadPixels I believe I saw in another thread you have a new bass. Are you still having the same problems?

2 Likes

not sure yet, because I just got home with a new amp as well :rofl:

3 Likes

Keep us posted. Im interested to see how it turns out.

What amp did you get?

1 Like

Orange Crush Bass 50 :+1:

I think this interface is just a bit :poop: at this point, but it was worth a shot :smile:

Gonna order a Yamaha MG06 for the weekend, cos I know they’re good (and I can get 10% off :smile:)

2 Likes

Is that a mixer vs a DAI. I’m confused what that’s needed for in your signal chain.

1 Like

basically both :joy:
but at basically the same price as a focusrite scarlett solo, I can make more use of that than just a straight DAI streaming etc.

1 Like

Oh right SL it’s a mixer and DAI? Cool.

1 Like

@DeadPixels the specs for that Yamaha MG06 don’t seem to mention that it can also be used as a DAI, but I could be mistaken.

1 Like

It depends which model or version you get. The MG06XU has USB out. I don’t think the MG06X (without the “U” in the alphanumeric) does.

2 Likes

ahh, yeah, linked the wrong one :man_facepalming:t2:
yeah the usb one, AG06*, not MG06 :joy:

2 Likes

fixed (to a degree :joy:) for now, not audible in a recording anymore, but still very much there constantly in the headphones (that are 100% ok connected to any other source) :thinking:
so yeah, I’m thinking it’s time for this audio interface to go :smile:

1 Like

This is actually what I do, with a Mackie ProFX10v3.

1 Like

woah! that’s a lot of inputs! :smile:

but I may or may not be a bit of a yamaha fan boy… :joy:

2 Likes

Oh you’re preaching to the choir there. The only reason I have the Mackie instead of a MG10XU is that while overall I am a Yamaha fanboy and almost a borderline Yamaha salesman (seriously they should just cut me a commission), I have a soft spot for Mackie mixers as I have owned them before and in fact my first mixer was a Mackie, over 30 years ago.

2 Likes