Interval help

i am looking at talking bass’ everything about intervals in 15 minutes which is quite good. here is the pdf download:

https://33z9kf15n22s4dt1tbo8v7xz-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Intervals-101.pdf

everything is pretty straightforward until I get to augmented and diminished 2,3,6,7 intervals. it states that A to F# is a major 6th. but what is A to F, isn’t that also a major 6? are they both major 6ths? that shouldn’t be right, as they are not the same distance apart, F# is a half step more. I think I’m missing something.

3 Likes

nm, figured it out. forgot that Amaj scale the 6th note is indeed F#, not F. I keep forgetting that I’m not using a Cmaj scale with no sharps or flats. duh.

6 Likes

Aw! I’m glad but also sad that you figured it out yourself. I was excited to finally see a question I could actually answer!

6 Likes

haha thanx. I feel kinda stupid, I get so used to seeing the majC scale that I keep thinking that’s the only scale on earth. I wanted to delete this thread cuz it’s embarrassing, but what the hell i’m sure i’m not the only one trying to wrap my brain around theory and making silly mistakes.

3 Likes

You’re not stupid. It’s a lot! I learned this scale stuff (on other instruments) slowly over several years.

4 Likes