Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome to the forum @Neil_L!! Great group here - very supportive, friendly, and helpful!!

Nice looking Ibby 300!! That pick laying on the table behind it looks a bit big though…:rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks, hahaha! Oh and I almost forgot one more bass player I love: Steve Harris from Iron Maiden. Cheers!

1 Like

Hello everyone, glad to be here! My name is Glenn, Gcoco is my nickname. I’ve been playing guitar since i was a teenager, on and off, but just recently picked up a new bass guitar to give it a shot and I can’t put it down!! Stumbled across this site by accident but I love the lessons and the humor as well! Excellent videos! Hopefully my bass guitar playing will be much better than my six string abilities because I really suck at guitar!! Looking forward to learning playing bass!!

9 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Gcoco . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to have you with us!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Welcome @Gcoco! This statement sounds pretty familiar… Think I remember saying something similar several months ago…

Great group here!

2 Likes

@Neil_L Welcome to BassBuzz!
You might be interested in this… STEVE HARRIS LOVE THREAD!

@Gcoco Welcome! You have found the way to BadAssness!

4 Likes

Sweet, thanks @eric.kiser!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum and the course @AdamL! Slow and regularly sounds smart. :slight_smile:

Welcome @Neil_L! Glad you’re enjoying the course. Nice bass, I like those. :sunglasses:

And wlecome @Gcoco!

3 Likes

Welcome @Neil_L and @Gcoco, as you’ve seen, great group here very supportive. Good luck!!

3 Likes

Hi there BassBuzzers!

My name is Gaston. I’m originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina but I moved to Aspen CO 8 years ago to enjoy the skiing, mountain biking and fresh air these hills have to offer.

I started playing guitar about 10 years ago (self taught and honestly never passed the intermediate skill level) but a year ago or so I picked up a bass for my first time and pretty much it was love at first pluck.

I already played at some open mics with a guitar player and a singer and it wasn’t too bad! Taught myself with YouTube and tabs and it was about 2 months ago that I stumbled into Josh’s videos.

I tried to get into the course since then but working two jobs made it a little difficult to find the time.

Since we have to quarantine and ride this virus that recently came upon humanity I figured I would do something good for my community and for myself by anchoring my ass to the chair and go through the beginner to bad ass course to better myself and learn all the right techniques and good practices from scratch.

Just bought the course and started yesterday. It already seems to me that I landed into a great community for what I’ve seen so far.

Happy to support your work Josh, you seem to be a genuinely good guy. I’m hoping to make the most out of your experience and lessons!!

Stay healthy everyone out there. Let’s save the world by playing bass!!!

Gaston

11 Likes

@Gastonhav Welcome to BassBuzz!

You are the first person to openly claim they started the course due to COVID-19. Which is particularly interesting to me since I made a prediction we would see a spike in new people because of the virus. What very weird times we are in.

5 Likes

@eric.kiser Weird indeed.

I hope more people shows up to the course or to whatever other thing they always wanted to do and never found the time for, instead of sitting on the couch and binge through news and Facebook all day long.

This could be a good time to tap into the artist we all have inside but never get around to nourish.

Thank you for the welcome!!

6 Likes

Great attitude, @Gastonhav . . . :+1:

Welcome to the Forums, and good luck in the course! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Not sure how to start a thread…but I would like to say that first and foremost I am enjoying this course and really getting a lot out of it. On a completely different note I would like to commend you Josh on your newfound pursuit in the world of Martial Art. I first began studying Martial Art in 1967 in Augusta Georgia. The style was called Shotokan. An Okinawan form of Karate. This was long before the “Kung Fu” Bruce Lee explosion of the 70’s. And on that note I was blessed enough to be able to watch Bruce Lee as Kato in the Green Hornet on TV when I was growing up. Serious inspiration at an early age. Not to mention his films which I got to see at the theater (long before even VHS). Long story short…I have been a student of Martial Art for about 53 years now. I’ve worked as a bouncer for 28 years and a personal bodyguard for various people in Los Angeles for over a decade. I’ve studied Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Muay Thai, western boxing and grappling…but my studies in JKD are where I’ve grown the most. Remember that JKD is not a style…but more of a concept. The notion of styles or fixed methods or systems goes against the very nature of JKD. I wish you the very best in your endeavors…absorb what is useful. Discard the rest.

PS…while working as a bouncer I was fortunate enough to see a lot of really good bands play. I’ve always been musically inclined I love to play drums for years. But the bass is always fascinated me. And I’ve always wanted to join a band as a bass player. Now thanks to you I can actually see that becoming a reality. Sincerely brother thank you.

11 Likes

Very interesting background, @steel_city_bluesman! . . . reminds me of the movie “Roadhouse” with Patrick Swayze . . . :slight_smile:

Glad you’re here and enjoying the course!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome @Neil_L, @Gcoco, and @Gastonhav!

4 Likes

Welcome @steel_city_bluesman!

2 Likes

Hello folks, greetings from South Dakota!

I’m Chris, and I completed the Beginner to Badass course just today, and I must say first of all how impressed I am with the course. It’s just outstanding, and I just wish this course was in existence when I first bought a bass and took my first lesson back in 2002. Long story short–I took a few lessons back then, then got busy and “put my bass in the closet” literally for 18 years.

I’m 54 years old know, and I have always been fascinated with music and the talent of musicians, so it was high time to dig out the bass from the closet. I’m retired now after 25 years active duty in USAF, and my “fun job” now is as a helicopter pilot providing sightseeing flights. But since I work almost entirely in the summer time, I have plenty of time now in the off-season to scratch my musical itch.

Maybe for career #3 I should find my way into a blues band? LOL, what a fun course this has been. I can’t wait to see where this takes me next!

12 Likes

Congrats on finishing up the course, @coddarling . . . :slight_smile:
Lots of us put off playing until after retirement, so you’re not alone!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Welcome @coddarling to the forum!

Jerry

1 Like