Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome! I have a Harley Benton fretless Jazz bass that I sometimes play at church. The only reason I don’t play it more is that it’s very heavy. Harley Benton are a great value.

10 Likes

Welcome @AngelC and @wave

9 Likes

I logged on expecting to be decades older than anyone; I am 59 1/2 today and when my mother sent me $500 out of the blue for Christmas, I decided to finally check #1 on my to-do list. Never learned music; my parents couldn’t spring for lessons. But I always listened for the bass in songs, and now with a “like-new” Rumble 40 SSD (where the $$ went, as I was told that’s better for beginners, even if 2x the tube one), and with a surprise “indefinite loan” well-worn-in Fender Jazz MIM '95 from a kind pro-musician friend, I’m at the first step on the thousand-mile adventure. I did a lot of research on online lessons before signing up and the B2B style and methods seemed most simpatico with my lack of know-how. I reckon in “lockdown” end-2020 mode, it’s a better way for me to learn! As an introvert (figures I’d choose bass), I get flustered under pressure, so the ability to go over and over videos will help. I’m a self-taught type, so the approach here feels “right” for the jittery. (My son’s been playing a year and a half; he started from ground zero too.)

14 Likes

Welcome @DrJLMurphy… you will enjoy B2B immensely, and hopefully will enjoy our forum.

9 Likes

Welcome @DrJLMurphy

7 Likes

Welcome to the community, @DrJLMurphy

You’re far from the oldest - I’ve got nearly a decade on you and several members are older than me.

You might find this thread interesting:

Bassbuzz Demographics (a poll)

12 Likes

Welcome @DrJLMurphy Many of us are flattered that we appear to be much younger than we actually are : ) I hope you’ll find this a great place to practice the craft.

11 Likes

Welcome aboard @DrJLMurphy,
It will be the best $500 you ever spent, thanks MUM.
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @DrJLMurphy! Love the Mr. Peabody avatar!

7 Likes

Hey, my name is Sid. I’m a 19 year old college student. I’ve been a drummer for quite a few years and played on stage throughout my school and college life. I wanted to improve my horizons musically and I picked up the bass as an instrument because I have always been fascinated not only by how great it sounds but also how much of an influence it has to make or break a song. (Not gonna lie, I also picked it up because it looks immensely cool :D)

Was sold on the idea of the BeginnerToBadass course the minute I stumbled upon it and having gone through the forums, I am even more happier that I made this decision. Everyone here is so kind and uplifting of others, it seems like such a good community.

Recently bought an Ibanez GSR 200 (I am left handed so this was the only bass that was available in my country in my budget) with a Fender Rumble 15 Watts Amplifier.

Looking forward to discovering and learning this wonderful instrument and getting to know all you lovely people!

PS: Anyone out here that chose the 1 month schedule? I have a bit of time on my hands and I want to challenge myself. Any tips or things that I should keep in mind as I start this course?

12 Likes

Welcome, @Skinny510! Used to be a drummer myself back when… :smile:

To be honest, I think this is a bit of a gimmick… But, if it helps you keep yourself motivated, then by all means, go for it! It is certainly doable; I seem to remember that @studio has done that (but I haven’t seen him in a while). Many of us (after either going through the course very fast, or taking our time), have re-visited the whole afterwards at a more leisurely pace to solidify many of the concepts taught!

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Skinny510. I played drums in high school also, which as you know requires a good sense of rhythm, therefore lends itself to bass playing.

As far as doing B2B in one month, I started out with that goal, since I am now retired and have plenty of free time, however I soon learned that there are certain places in the course that are a bit more difficult and can slow you down. It ultimately took me close to 3 months to complete the course, but I confess to taking some other courses at the same time.

You will enjoy the course, and your drumming experience will help with the rhythm aspect of bass playing.

12 Likes

Welcome @Skinny510

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @Skinny510!

6 Likes

Welcome @AngelC, enjoy the course! :slight_smile:

Welcome @wave, congrats on approaching the finish line of B2B!

Welcome @DrJLMurphy, yeah it’s gonna take more decades than that to win the oldest BassBuzzer award. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome Sid @Skinny510! That’s great you already plays drums, drummers make good bass players. :drum:

8 Likes

Welcome aboard @Skinny510,
You have come to the right place, and already being a drummer will really help with timing, just remember, lock in on the kick and snare :+1:
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

@joergkutter @PamPurrs Thank you for the warm welcome. It’s great to know y’all were drummers too! :grinning:

Definitely, I will keep that in mind. While I want to progress through the course fast, I also want to retain most of the information so taking my time with it makes sense, like y’all said.

5 Likes

@Mac @JerryP @JoshFossgreen @TNKA36 Thank you guys for the warm welcome and yes, @TNKA36, I agree…I have come to the right place! :grinning:

7 Likes

Thanks to all who welcomed me to here, my Christmas present. A pleasant bonus that I did not anticipate when previewing the course was the comments page for each lesson, as well as the communal ones. This is a great way to learn from peers as well as “teacher.” And the fact that Josh is on this actively among us I find inspiring. (As a teacher, I attest how participation’s always welcomed.) I wanted to add what also swayed me towards B2B was that we have access to it always. The “other” programs out there on the net seem to be all subscription based, and we all know what happens when that runs out. And DVD-CD backup, in my case, enables me to have a physical archive…Cheers from L.A.!

11 Likes

Welcome @DrJLMurphy

3 Likes