Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi Everyone,

I’m H, a former rhythm guitarist turned enthusiastic bassist. I play in a band (as well as writing the songs and being the frontperson) and recently took up bass to keep us as a three piece. I have found I enjoy playing bass more than I ever did guitar and a few Bassbuzz lessons have kicked me into daily practise and a massive improvement in my ability this year so far. I am inspired by other bass playing frontpeople, particularly Mark Sandman (Morphine), Peter Steele (Type O Negative) and Lemmy (Don’t need to tell you this one!)

I play a vintage 70s Japanese Pearl Vorg bass, which has a good rumble and plenty of character.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and learning some useful tips!

Xxx

15 Likes

Welcome aboard @H-BOMB,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome @H-BOMB

5 Likes

Welcome @H-BOMB

3 Likes

Welcome @H-BOMB and @fosskers

6 Likes

Welcome! And I, for one, would love to see a photo or two of your bass! Sounds very cool. There’s a thread for our bass photos right… over… here:

10 Likes

@Gio That’s cool! I will definitely post some photos there. Would be interesting to see if anyone else has encountered or played one as it’s a bit of a weirdo instrument and I can’t find much about it online…

5 Likes

Welcome H!
You wouldn’t happen to be from New Zealand would you? I know someone there who goes by ‘H’ too.

5 Likes

@dravernor I wish! I’m pretty much on the opposite side of the globe, London UK :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ahh, the ‘xxx’ should have given it away :wink:
Looking forward to seeing more of you around here!

5 Likes

Hey friends. My name is Amanda. I’m mildly musical, as I played french horn all the way thru college and even played some percussion. I’ve always wanted to play bass. Our family are all learning different instruments - drums, guitar, piano, and bass - just so we can have some fun together.

Personally, I’m 42, mom of 2, I work in IT as a software tester and I am a speaker. I’m super stoked to start these bass lessons!! We’re already trying to plan out how to play Seven Nation Army together!! Nice to meet you all!!

17 Likes

Welcome @APerk

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @APerk,
enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome @fosskers !!
I am a current sax player who picked up bass last year.
Enjoy Bassbuzz and this community, the folks here are GREAT

7 Likes

Welcome @APerk

5 Likes

Welcome!

6 Likes

Glad you joined our happy mob @APerk.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @H-BOMB & @APerk!

4 Likes

Hi,
I’m Paul. I’ve been doing B2B since February but never got around to introducing myself. You might have seen me in the lesson comments, though. I’ve played guitar forever, but realized how saturated that segment of the music world is, and how bassists are more in demand. Plus I’ve never been a very technical player. Speedy soloing is an option rather than a requirement for bass players, so I thought I might have a better chance at gigging or at least jamming as a bassist. At the age of 58 or 59, I found myself exchanging cash for a bass in a fast- food parking lot like it was a drug deal or something. “My son doesn’t play it”, she said. When I got it home, I found out why that Ibanez GSR 200 had been sitting unused: it buzzed like a saw due to uneven frets. I set it up the best I could, loosening the truss rod and cranking up the action at the bridge. Someday, my learn-to-play bass will become my learn-to-repair bass, and get a fret level, recrown, and set up, but for now I just play it. I didn’t think it would be easy to learn, but, wow, I had no idea. I discovered Josh maybe 2 years ago, but held off on B2B because of the cost. I knew instinctively that his way of teaching was well suited to my unusually wired brain, yet I tried other things that were cheaper. After 11 of months of COVID lockdown had given me more free time than I’d ever had, I still found that I was hardly practicing my bass at all. I decided it was now or never, purchased B2B, and have practiced bass every day since February 20th. It’s March 23rd today, that’s a pretty good streak. I’m in module 12 now, “My Sharona” has been kicking my butt but I keep plugging away. I even used a metronome today, like a real music student. My improvement is noticeable, and my hands are so much stronger. I’ve started working on the 50 song challenge, but it will take me awhile to catch up. I’m glad to have found these lessons and this community.
Oh, and Josh, I’m also a vegan, have some experience with NVC, and practice a martial art, although how “martial” Aikido is, is a matter of some debate. It has made me pretty spry for my age, and really taught me how to move after a lifetime of being pretty uncoordinated. I took a spill off my bike last July, and the training kicked in enough to reduce my injuries. Fall down seven times, get up eight.

17 Likes

Hi Paul! Good luck on My Sharona!

5 Likes