Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Thank you in advance for supporting the excellent used gear market :slight_smile:

In truth if I were you I would keep both for a while. I went through a phase where I was convinced I should have gotten a short scale, but as I got used to the long scale, it passed and now I am glad I didn’t.

Apparently this is very common.

4 Likes

yeah, in all likelihood that is what I will actually do. because, long term, I have 3 dream basses that I want to own and they are all long scale.

2 Likes

If you’re concerned about hand size, don’t worry, we all are :slight_smile:

3 Likes

josh isn’t :grinning:

4 Likes

My guitarist friend’s comment on Josh: “Those hands are like face-huggers from Alien. He was born to play the bass.”

3 Likes

In the “Show Us Your Basses” spirit, here are my three main ones (I have a couple of others I leave lying around for “just-grab-it-for-five-minutes-practise”) … Left to right:-

• my Ibanez GSR256B 6-string (usually my main instrument);

• my Kala U-Bass (for those not familiar with U-Basses, think “double-bass-sound-in-a-uke-sized-body”; an amazing little instrument and, when I play it, people often come up after the gig asking “How on earth do you you get that sound out of that thing?”. It’s a 4-string bass in terms of tuning (and playing), but the main challenge for me is when quickly switching from the very-long-and-wide neck of the 6-string to the very-short-and-narrow neck of the U-Bass — you really need to concentrate, or you’ll be fretting in all the wrong places! :frowning:

• my Artist VHYB5 5-string — this is a hybrid Precision/Jazz produced by Aussie company Artist Guitars, who make some VERY nice instruments!

In the middle is my Bugera BXD12 amp, which I absolutely LOVE for its tonal range and punch. In fact, I traded a Hartke HD150 for this beauty, and, IMO, it outperforms the Hartke hands-down. Bizarrely, the Bugera is listed as being 1,000W, but that’s just creative licence, and I guess it’s more like 150W-200W RMS. Nonetheless, a brilliant piece of gear, and one I might have missed had I not had it recommended to me. Yes, Bugera is associated with Behringer (which is an immediate negative in the minds of some), but I say playing is believing.

8 Likes

Nice gear you’ve got there @alanjans!! Care to pop over to this thread (6-string bass anyone? ) and tell us (me) a bit more about your 6-string and your experiences with it!?! Why is it your main instrument?? Thx!

2 Likes

that’s “cheap” but not necessarily “bad” gear. I don’t care anymore about all that, having a Behringer thing right in the middle of my signal path :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

+1, love my BDI21.

I love my TC Nether also, which is a Behringer circuit.

1 Like

@itsratso I have the short scale and love it. I think it will be a hard decision…

7 Likes

Nice collection @alanjans! :+1:

2 Likes

I agree that there’s a “cheap” connotation that attaches to Behringer, and that has (unjustifiably, IMO) transferred across to Bugera by association after Behringer became the Bugera distributor. My own experience with Behringer has generally been positive — inexpensive, yes, but they work. … Bugera has had a great reputation in its own right, and they continue to build good gear. Strangely, I’ve found that often people who pooh-pooh Bugera amps have never even tried one.

1 Like

Pretty sure the same is true of Behringer.

1 Like

Some brands really get a bum rap.

Peavey got that. They’ve made some very killer things over the years (the Cirrus is maybe the best example) but have never really gotten away from some kinda name-brand-shadow.

Too bad. Their American-made, solid wood stuff (I love the 70s and early 80s stuff) is pretty killer.

3 Likes

yeah also Peavey made an amp called the VTM 120 which is absolutly killer :

… and they made a ton of other cool stuff. still about amps, the Classic 30, Delta Blues and 5150 are more than “not bad”.

4 Likes

… I think it’s that logo.
The logo had a real short shelf life. I wouldn’t trust anything with that logo without a lot of convincing…

2 Likes

Hartley Peavey had (and still has) this vision of creating rock solid construction that was affordable. Very similar to a Ford truck. But people don’t usually sit back and think, if I could have anything I would want a Ford truck. (I do, but I know most folks don’t.) I think both brands have become associated with "working class’ as opposed to “fancy”.

People want Orange, Aguilar, MesaBoogie! They used to get Peavey because it’s what they could afford.

On the other hand, I had a lot of fond memories of Peavey. Unfortunately, they’ve changed the voicing on their bass amps and it’s just not the same.

1 Like

Agreed. My first non classical instrument was a Peavey Whitesnake Signature Guitar. I didn’t have any complaints. I think they are just as capable as other mainstream brands. But yeah, they don’t really do Ferrari level stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

My instruments. I bought the Kala Journeyman U-Bass as my entry to bass. I got a deal on the lightly used Rumble 25, which opened the door to having a full scale electric bass. Pawn shop Affinity P will work. I know if I can be proficient on the P, I’ll be able to play any four string bass. After five days of B2B on the P, I’m less awkward with it than I was on the U when I started noodling. That’s progress.

8 Likes

@GalleyCat,
How do you deal with the difference of the two instruments when playing?

1 Like