Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

that’s normal. the two pickups are wired like the two bobins of an humbucker (but wired in parallel) even if the two pickups are two distinct parts. that’s called RWRP (reverse wound reverse polarity).
the point is that you have the humbucking effect (hum cancellation) when the two bobins are at 100%. if you lower the volume, you lower the hum cancelling effect and so you get more hum. every RWRP pickup configuration will do that.

if you don’t go too far, it could work … it’s kind of a risk but on a cheap bass I’d do it. in fact I already did this on guitars :grin:

no. I have a lot of rusty pickups and they all work perfectly fine. you probably can remove the rust, but remove the pickup cover first so you will be able to make a cleaner job !

4 Likes

@terb, I didn’t realize that. So far, I haven’t noticed any humming problem(s) with my Squier Jazz bass, but I’ll keep this in mind:

I usually keep the bridge pickup and the tone at 100%, and vary the neck pickup, but there’s no numbers on the knobs. I’d like to have them upgraded later.

We’re lucky to have you here with us! :wink:

Thanks and all best, Joe

1 Like

I adjusted mine with a 1/16" Allen screwdriver . . . :slight_smile:

Wow, that must be strange . . . my guess is that it will slowly fade away.

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Just got this short scale beauty in today. Always loved the Stingray design, but at $2K short scale Music Man version was way out of my price range. Sterling just came out with this lower priced model in January, so I had to pull the trigger. I had to sell a few items on ebay to help fund this purchase so the wife would not object when bass #3 arrived, haha! Hopefully this is the last one for awhile.

12 Likes

yay English Beat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha - famous last words :grin:

5 Likes

Very nice, @lee_editorial . . . :+1:

White is my favorite color :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ordered mine, the blue one though.

Is that your third short scale?

2 Likes

@Schmeep
Yessir, started with a Squire Jag SS, added a Gretsch Jr Jet and now the Stingray

2 Likes

Are you ever gonna get a standard scale? I understand why you like them so much though, I think they are a lot of fun to play.

1 Like

No, I am not a big guy and also don’t have large “bass playin” hands. I bought an inexpensive Ibenez full scale many years ago back when my son was playing guitar and I just got frustrated with it and it literally sat in a closet for about 10 years.

Then about 2 years ago, when I thought I would give it another go, I discovered the concept of short scale and the fret board of the Jag was SO much easier to move around on, and it was also so much lighter in weight. It is no coincidence that short scale models in the last 2 or 3 years have skyrocketed with more manufacturers coming out with SS versions. (and I just think you will see that continue to increase)

I am really happy so far with all the various tones and sounds I am getting with those 3 guys along with a couple of effects pedals so I will definitely stay in the SS side of things moving forward!

2 Likes

That makes sense. I think the next bass I guy will be a short scale (although I don’t see that happening for another 5 years at least)

1 Like

I just realized that I haven’t posted my bass yet. I chose the TMB30 for my first bass guitar:

I use my Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 to record into Logic Pro:

I have a used Fender Rumble 15 watt amp to practice with headphones. It wasn’t worth taking a picture of it though :crazy_face:

10 Likes

Cool color!

4 Likes

The Talmans look cool! How do you like it?

Lots of people posting with new shorties recently!

3 Likes

I’m definitely liking it. It feels really good, although now that I know more now, I’m fairly certain the actions is a little high. I’m going to have it set-up in a week or two, once I decide what kind of strings to get (which is slightly overwhelming)! I like the tone it produces as well.

If anyone is looking for a budget short scale bass, I highly recommend this one.

1 Like

Here are my two. G&L SB2 and Warwick Corvette. They cover most of the tones I need with my band.

sb2

11 Likes

SX pj bass I bought years ago. Didn’t want to spend a lot in case I didn’t take to bass. Get a lot of instrument for under 200 bucks I must say. Maple neck, solid alder body … where else can you find that chassis to upgrade. Since I recently picked her up again and cleaned the dust off I should look to upgrade the electronics and get this thing sounding better. Not that it doesn’t already.

After posting … that pic really does this bass no justice :confused:. Really is a looker though!

10 Likes

SX seems to have a huge cult following. Their SWB Spector/Warwick lookalike looks great to me (though not really cheaper than a Warwick Rockbass).

2 Likes