Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

yeah also Peavey made an amp called the VTM 120 which is absolutly killer :

… and they made a ton of other cool stuff. still about amps, the Classic 30, Delta Blues and 5150 are more than “not bad”.

4 Likes

… I think it’s that logo.
The logo had a real short shelf life. I wouldn’t trust anything with that logo without a lot of convincing…

2 Likes

Hartley Peavey had (and still has) this vision of creating rock solid construction that was affordable. Very similar to a Ford truck. But people don’t usually sit back and think, if I could have anything I would want a Ford truck. (I do, but I know most folks don’t.) I think both brands have become associated with "working class’ as opposed to “fancy”.

People want Orange, Aguilar, MesaBoogie! They used to get Peavey because it’s what they could afford.

On the other hand, I had a lot of fond memories of Peavey. Unfortunately, they’ve changed the voicing on their bass amps and it’s just not the same.

1 Like

Agreed. My first non classical instrument was a Peavey Whitesnake Signature Guitar. I didn’t have any complaints. I think they are just as capable as other mainstream brands. But yeah, they don’t really do Ferrari level stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

My instruments. I bought the Kala Journeyman U-Bass as my entry to bass. I got a deal on the lightly used Rumble 25, which opened the door to having a full scale electric bass. Pawn shop Affinity P will work. I know if I can be proficient on the P, I’ll be able to play any four string bass. After five days of B2B on the P, I’m less awkward with it than I was on the U when I started noodling. That’s progress.

8 Likes

@GalleyCat,
How do you deal with the difference of the two instruments when playing?

1 Like

@JerryP I’m concentrating on the long scale bass and disregarding the U-Bass at the moment. I did mess around with the little guy earlier this evening, but I had to keep my eyes on the frets to do it.

2 Likes

Yeah, same here. I bought the U-bass to take with me when I travel, but I found that it was throwing me off and I had to keep looking at my fret hand. Plus, it just felt harder to play.

1 Like

@JerryP, I don’t see your U-bass in this thread. Time for a photo!

1 Like

@GalleyCat I posted this back in October, here it is again.

5 Likes

@JerryP

Whoops. I must have missed it. I like the black.

2 Likes

I went down the exact same route with a uke bass for my starter instrument. Its fun to play but has its limitations. Handy for travelling, though. Two months in to my bass adventure and I couldn’t resist. I went for a short scale to try to ease myself in to the longer scale lengths. Still a stretch at the moment though!

8 Likes

@Steinbeck Digging the green Gretsch.

2 Likes

If only I could make it sound as nice as it looks! Lots of fret buzz after playing the ubass

1 Like

Might just need a setup. Did you have it set up by the store when you bought it?

1 Like

No, setup’s fine, I’m just not getting close enough to the fret because of the extra distance between the frets compared to the ubass. It’s all “operator error”, just need practice!

3 Likes

My first bass is the red one Fender Squier PJ (2005 Indonesia), which i’ve bought used and kinda rusty (abused) along with a used Cort amp. I’ve replaced: old P-picups with the new Fender Yosemites ; strings (new ones are Dunloop Super Bright 45/105); and rewired/re-grounded all electronics.

It’s not that I am famous and skillfull luthier, but that kind of person that likes to fully “emerge” into things (english is not my native, so I can bravely assume that this means what i mean).

The second one, the Blue Whale - is brand-new short-scale Fender Mustang JMJ. Which I’ve bought 2 weeks ago cause of reasons… You know, it goes like this - you see something and in that specific moment (LoveOnFirstSight) there’s some kind of dark magic happens and Hypnotoad from Futurama commands you to buy this thing immediately.

I am in my late 30’s and all my bass experience can be measered by 3 modules of lessons on this fun site (i mean - it’s really fun to learn stuff with Josh, he’s amazing and funny person), but i am happy to own these aforementioned pets and to learn something new (bass was a childhood dream, but my parents decided that clarinet is more appropriate for whatever reasons they had).

10 Likes

8 Likes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AYa1GwnbqF1VGybm8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TKiKxEWd6NwKf7Ro8

Despite being part of the community for a while, I haven’t actually uploaded any of my bass to this thread. Today was the day I decided to do so since I just picked up the sunburst MIM Fender jazz bass. I have one more bass not shown which is just a simple yamaha TRBX174 sunburst that isn’t too special and other people have already showcased.

The P bass is a squire affinity I got for free from my brother. I am in the process of repairing it (which is why the neck is off) because the truss rod nut is stripped. I might put new pickups in. Also, the neck is really heavy, I was wondering if yall would think sanding it is a good idea?

The new sunburst jazz bass has a few problems which I was wondering if yall would know how to fix. First, it smells a bit like cigarette smoke, which isn’t that big of a problem because its not too strong, but I was wondering if any of you would know how to get rid of it. Right now I am just hoping it will slowly disappear.

The second thing is that the action needs to be setup, which I know how to do, however I don’t know what measurement allen wrench I should use.

It has rust on the magnet parts of the pickups (at least I think thats the part I am talking about, the dots). Does this affect sound? and can I get rid of it with something like 3 in 1 oil?

Lastly, the pickups hum when they are at full volume, I assume this is normal with jazz pickups since they aren’t humbucking (which would be confirmed by the fact that when I turn both of them fully up, they don’t hum) but the weird thing is, they don’t just hum at full volume. They hum at random places where I put the volume, and don’t hum at all at others. Like for instance, the bridge one will hum at max, but not at 3/4ths, and then hum again in the middle. This is not really an issue, since I can fix it by messing with the controls, but still it’s weird.

4 Likes

Cool basses! I’m sure @terb or someone can handle these building questions. There is a thread you’d probably like for more detailed discussions on this sort of stuff called “Project Basses”. I’d link to it, but can’t seem to easily do that on my phone.

2 Likes