Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi There!
I’m new here, so let’s start introducing myself. I’m Denise 32 years and living in the Netherlands.
I played Cello in my childhood, unfortunatley I had to quit when I was 12 years old because the music lessons and rent for a Cello became to expensive for my parents (I’m from a big family). I always thought I will pick up the Cello again, but the instrument it self is so expensive to buy that I decide to start playing Bass. I can borrow a Bass from a friend, I will pick it up this evening, and sometime I will buy one myself when I like it :slight_smile:
Doing some research now everything I need and already bought a music lesson book.
I’m very excited to start this, always wanted to do something again with music and think it’s good to have a hobby. Music styles I like: everything between Rock and Metal. But I can appreciate a lot of music styles, so let’s do this!

19 Likes

Hey Josh. Finished half the course. Love it! Would like to talk more about bass, but have a quick question…can you recommend an instructor (with similar teaching style as yourself) for drums (kit). I bought my g’son an electric drum kit for Xmas & now want to get him lessons. Thx

8 Likes

Josh has n excellent instructional style!

5 Likes

As far as intro…70 years old. Played bass in high school and college. Got married, had kids, paid my taxes and now 60+ years later I’m back! Picked up the 6 string about 3 years ago. Just had to go back to my roots. It’s been far out, man!

9 Likes

BTW… that’s a pick of me on Red Rocks stage! My absolutely favorite live music venue!!

4 Likes

@Denise1 Welcome to the BassBuzz forum.

You’ve come to the right place. Lots of us have played before and have come back to the fold.

@andres.darcy Welcome to BassBuzz.

Here is an old thread about that topic…
Anything Similar to B2B for drums? - Lounge - BassBuzz Forum

5 Likes

Welcome @jclay

5 Likes

Welcome @mahtab

4 Likes

Welcome @Denise1

5 Likes

Welcome @andres.darcy

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Denise1 ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @andres.darcy ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome to all…this is the best forum on the internet. So much knowledge, no judgements and lots of friendliness. You will love hanging out here.

6 Likes

Welcome @Denise1 & @andres.darcy !

4 Likes

Hey andres.darcy. welcome!!!
THis is truly a great group. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I… didn’t actually introduce myself while giving Josh the DL on places to eat vegan XD

I actually started playing bass as a teenager, and I was even in a garage band. I got to play in the same bar that PanterA’s first gig was at, too! I was completely self-taught and used a pick. I thought I could play with my fingers XD I felt I was pretty good, could keep up with the guitar riffs, knew absolutely nothing about tuning and had pretty floppy strings eventually and used a med to thin pick to compensate lol. The idea being it would snap past the strings so I could continue alternate picking, and it actually did work!

I had a guitar, too, and made a few half-assed attempts to learn it. Bought some Metal Method DVDs but didn’t stick with it, and over the years I jammed with a friend with a guitar, but again, as a fairly mediocre musician. I actually left a really nice 5-string bass, a mid-range 6-string guitar, and a great 2x12 at his house a decade ago. Which leads me to…

Turns out I was very depressed and eventually isolated myself from humans for the most part. I still collected gear and got into synthesizers eventually, which I kinda stuck with but would only go through spurts of music-making and not. I actually took private lessons several years ago, and tbh while the teacher was a good player, I don’t know that I think he was a great teacher, or at least not for me, anyway. And again my basses slumbered…

The depression has finally been addressed, however, and I am at a much better place as a human being than I used to be. In December, I looked at my rack of instruments and decided it was time. I picked up my Schecter and felt peaceful while I noodled around with a few things I remembered, etc. So I did some reading and almost got into Scott’s Bass Lessons before I heard about Bass Buzz, and did some more reading, and while I still think Scott is great and probably does well, I made my choice here and really like @JoshFossgreen as an instructor. He’s pretty serene, and sometimes a little goofy, but seems very genuine.

I’m progressing pretty quickly, I think partially due to previous experience, and as a former tuba player in school (I was kinda born to the low end, I guess lol…), the bass cleff is coming back to me pretty quickly. I even remembered it was nicknamed the F cleff and Josh even mentioned that :smiley: But obviously a lot of the progression is due to the good pace of these lessions and the ethos they are built on; they really build on one another and just keep going, and going, and going. I was pretty convinced I couldn’t play with my fingers at all with the private instructor (he also started me using three fingers… imo that’s not a great place to start after starting B2B, even if Alex Webster does it, too lol…)

Anyway, blah blah blah hi. I’m Emily and I play bass (again).

9 Likes

Hi Emily @Koldunya - welcome to one of the weirdest places on the internet!
Weird because…it’s nice :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

I turn my back for a few days and we have a lot of new people,
Welcome to all new people
Enjoy the journey

8 Likes

Glad you are here @Denise1
did you sign up for the B2B course here?
If you did you may not need that book!

6 Likes

Glad you are here @andres.darcy

5 Likes