Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi all!

Just saying hi! I don’t tend to be much of a forum participant, but you never know!

A touch about me. I used to play base back in the late 90’s in your standard original alternative rock band. Think Nirvana, Bush, Silverchair kind of stuff. Gigged around NYC at CBGB’s, Mercury Lounge, and such. I had not picked up a base in close to 20 years, but my boss talked me into playing a few songs with him at our holiday party this year and I had a blast. So…here I am. My bro-in-law (Pro Bass player), lent me a bass while I wait for the one that I just ordered to show up. Got myself a vintage Alverez just like I used to play. My wife always tells me I am more nostalgic than creative.

Anyway, looking forward to getting back up to speed and beyond! I loved the style of the youtube videos so, bit the bullet and working to be a badass! See you all on the other side.

-Russ

12 Likes

I played double bass in high school orchestra (far too many years ago)
over the years i have dabbled a bit with guitar, mandolin and banjo but keep going back to my bass. I have taken lessons and did not seem to get the results I was looking for, I am very excited about taking this course.
I have been married 29 yrs to the love of my life
I am a firefighter and a OIF veteran

10 Likes

Sheldon - As a 9/11 family (my brother, south tower 105th floor). Regardless of political views on what was right, wrong or indifferent, Thank you for your service.

5 Likes

Welcome to all of you!

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with nostalgia - even if it ain’t what it used to be. :wink: Welcome to the forums and hopefully you will stick around a bit and provide some insights for those of us with far, far, far less experience with the bass. Band formation and gigging are hot topics around here just now.

Welcome @Sheldon, I think you’ll find the lessons worthwhile and there are players here who have let their skills diminish over the years and found the course beneficial. What most people realise as they work their way through the course is just how much they’ve remembered and how quickly the skills come back to you: It’s like falling off a horse - you never forget how to do it.

4 Likes

Welcome, @russeisenberg . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck with that Alvarez and getting back into it . . . when you get the chance, post up a pic of it in https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/show-us-your-basses/

Cheers Joe

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Sheldon . . . :slight_smile:

We hope you enjoy your time with us, and wish you good luck in the course!

All best, Joe

2 Likes

Will do! Got an email that it shipped today!

3 Likes

Yeah…not sure that 20 year old advice holds true anymore :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @Alx_G! Hope you enjoy the course. :blush:

And welcome @russeisenberg! Maybe you can prove your wife wrong about the creative thing by the end of the course. That’s what marriage is about right, proving each other wrong? :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome @Sheldon, hope you get the results you’re looking for from the B2B course!

3 Likes

Let’s play a game of Spot the Single Dude! :rofl:

7 Likes

Technically he’s right, that’s what your first marriage is about :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl: Indeed. My (current) wife & I have always said the first was to get all the mistakes out of the way. I play better bass now so that must be correct.

4 Likes

Hello everyone.

I bought my first ever bass guitar last week and my first guitar of any type in 30 years. I finally decided to learn bass after years of singing along to bass grooves in my favorite songs. Thank you for making me feel welcome here.

I’m 47 years old, an Australian expat permanently in the US and I live in the suburbs of Washington DC. I work in the automotive industry as an executive.

I’m looking forward to making great progress in my bass playing and musicianship.

12 Likes

Welcome @groover08. We’re a fairly eclectic lot in here so you’ll find plenty of diversity - even an Aussie living in America won’t tip the odd-ometer beyond a single digit.

One of the great things about these forums, as opposed to many (ok, most) other places to talk bass online is that we never bring politics or personal differences of view in so it doesn’t ever interfere with pure bass-related talk (though we often drift into not-specifically-bass areas).

Almost everybody here is either doing, has done, or is contemplating doing the course, so there is a wealth of experience that is very specifically relatable to your progress on it. There are a few folk who are way beyond the course too, and they add a world of advice and insight that is hard to match. The support in here is second to none.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @groover08, and wish you good luck . . . :slight_smile:

What kind of bass did you get?

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @groover08

3 Likes

Hello all!

My name is Claude, and Im a recovering… oh wait wrong group :slightly_smiling_face:

So I used to play bass in Highschool (oh about 30 yrs ago). I could only play a few songs as we didnt have internet back then so it was Vynil LPs and moving a needle over a record over and over to try and pick up the notes.

Graduated HS and went overseas (Zweibruken Germany…lovely place), then college in US, wife, kids, career… needless to say I have not played since HS. Last year for my 48th birthday my dad (67 yrs old retired Army and Police) who has played bass and guitar since he was 17 and is a gigging bass player suggested I try again. So I bought my first bass and practice Amp. I have been using another popular “teach yourself” music program as well as RockSmith 2014. I can play several songs now from start to finish (AC/DC, Sting, Cream, Motley Crue, Def Leppard)…but wanted to get into more of the mechanics and really LEARN.

I already own two basses (yes the addiction is REAL folks)… A Ibanez GSRM20 short scale (my first) and my newest addition as an early Xmas present from my wife a Yamaha TRBX-504. Love them both! I mean my basses and my wife…lol My wife first thought I was crazy to be buying an instrument and wanting to play. Accused me of having a midlife crisis…lol. But after hearing me play one night (I think it was Walking on the Moon by Sting) she bought me that second bass and said I was sounding good and practicing hard. She also said how she noticed after a hard day at work , I would come home and play for an hour and come out of my office calm and relaxed. I do find playing to be meditative and refuse to let it stress me out!

Found Josh’s videos on YouTube and went through several (and he is the reason I started playing some Jack Bruce and Cream) and REALLY like his teaching style. So bought his course today and am starting from Module 1 Lesson 1 and have already started correcting some things I wasnt doing correctly. Really looking forward to more!

Bassists I admire: Steve Harris ( Iron Maiden who I will be seeing in a small club in Jan playing with British Lion! Cant wait), Chris Squire (Yes), Jack Bruce (Cream) , John Paul Jones (Zepplin), Bootsy (for his simplicity yet great funk!), and many many others…

This forum looks like its filled with great folks, just lovin the groove here!

9 Likes

Welcome Groover! Good to see another late 40’s professional picking up the bass! so now I can tell my wife it ISN’T a MIDLIFE Crisis that is driving us :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you all for your kind welcome! I bought a new Yamaha BBP34, and a new Fender Rumble 200 amp. Might as well go big to start with!

10 Likes