Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

This is funny

6 Likes

Yes. In my mind it goes like this:

Josh: bassdrum on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4 and eights on hi-hat
Drummer nods and turns to other drummer: bm-ts-klk-ts-bm-ts-klk-ts.
Other drummer: bm-ts-lkl-ts-bm-ts-klk-ts?
Josh: and a fill in the 4th bar
first drummer sighs turns to other drummer: bm-ts-klk-ts-bm-ts-klk-ts brp-brp-BRP
other drummer nods.

(I know it’s not like that. Lemme have my fun.)

7 Likes

It means remember when in Danish

2 Likes

Hi,

When I was 8 or 9 years old there was a segment on The Today Show that really inspired me. They came back from a commercial break without a tease, - and there sat an old man with a cello. He played a Back cello suite, and it was mesmerizing! Jane Pauley (the new girl) rushed out to interview him when he was done playing, and asked him how long he had been playing, “you must have been playing your whole life to be so good” , she said. / "Nope, only been playing for about three years, but I’ve learned to do other things in my life, and I’ve learned how to learn; so I just applied what I know about learning to playing the cello. / Right then and there I decided that when I was an old man I would learn how to play music; so here I am. / I’ve had a few false starts: YouTube instructional videos, and I’ve signed up for some good online lessons, but my computer went on the fritz, and I even had a live teacher for a few months, but then the 'rona virus came along… / So I got the Bass to Badass course on DVD, so no matter what, I can forge ahead with learning how to play music on the electronic bass guitar. I reckon I’m a strong beginner, or a weak intermediate, and I’m looking forward to filling in the gaps of what I’ve learned so far, and then see how I stack up against Josh’s 17point Intermediate check list… So that’s where I’m at. Nice to be here, and hope you all enjoy learning to play the bass, – this is a good course, and if we take it step-by-step, (and practice) we should all be a bunch of Badass Bass Players!/ Also, - every time I hit enter to make a paragraph break, - I end up posting. I tried ctl + shift +enter, but the same thing… So any tips on how to double space to make a paragraph, instead of using /// would be greatly appreciated… One thing I’ve never had to learn, was how to use a computer!/ THANKS/ Mike

11 Likes

Welcome @sincityxingyi!

I finished the course yesterday and couldn’t be happier with the results.

I don’t have that problem. I can press enter as many times as I want to space paragraphs. I actually do post on ctrl+enter but not on just enter. I have no idea why it does that for you.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @sincityxingyi . . . :slight_smile:

Good idea to get the course on DVD . . . that way it’ll always be available if you have any Internet connection or computer issues.

Hope you enjoy it here!

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

testing

testing

It works, (maybe I should turn the lights on when I’m typing, I was probably hitting the wrong key.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @sincityxingyi,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Good lord. The influx of new forum members exceeds my capacity to keep up…

… so welcome everyone!

A few bits:

Funny you should say that. It reminds me of Jimmy Johnson. One of the things Jimmy did on an alarmingly regular basis is “being Allan Holdsworth goto bass player”.
Allan Holdsworth was a guitar player who insisted he could not read sheet music. s a musician, he was completely autodidact.
To say that he didn’t know how to play guitar, or he didn’t understand harmonic theory, is like saying Tiger Woods doesn’t know about golf – the man created a very rich harmonic universe which only he fully understood – but he never wrote sheet music, and he was never trapped reading it. His answer was “… read? me? I just look at the pictures.”

He had a notation system which was also fully his own – but Jimmy Johnson was the only one who played with Allan and who actually understood it (either he understood the notation system, or he just “got” the music, I’m not sure), and Jimmy would then have to explain to Steve Hunt (a classically-trained piano player) how the song worked.

Which, I think, goes to show how a bassist really lives at the foundation of that thing we call music.

God help us all. :laughing:

Quite possibly the most important truth I’ve read today.
As a former teacher as well as as a learner, I’m convinced that learning is a process that is well worth mastering in itself.

7 Likes

Welcome @sincityxingyi!

5 Likes

Hi Josh and anyone else who cares to read this.
My name is Scott. I live in Central Oregon.
I’m really not one who gets into forums, but there is benefits. I read an email that bass buzz sent me and was very encouraged by a post from ??? Pam Pam?
What a go getter.
I picked up a cheap Squire PJ bass about a year and a half ago. I never played a bass before, always guitar. I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH FUN IT WAS. I quickly learned 4 Nirvana songs and played them over and over and over.
I seen your Bass Buzz videos on YouTube and have been following them. I couldn’t afford your B2BA course but really wanted to get it. But then came the stimulus check. I immediately ordered the course. I went crazy going through the 4th module, then I got the hard copy, and got to the 7th module. Then in the 7th module the DVD would continually black out. I put in movies to see if it was my DVD player, but the movies played fine. About that time I got an upper respiratory infection that knocked me down. You see I also have a bone marrow cancer, so my immune system can be weak. I have MDS. Its managed with blood transfusions every 2 weeks.
All that said, last week I felt like I’m getting over the repertory infection. So I went back to week 4 and the online classes. I’m glad I did because I got to redo the ska lesson which I really enjoy.
All right, I’m kinda tired. I’m going to end this. I will be calling your office about this DVD issue, but I’m in no hurry.
I was wondering about the Cd’s. You dont really mention them in the course. Not that I can remember. Like how they are to be used within each module.
Any way adios, and that is a huge Andy Warhol tat.
Scott Gross

11 Likes

Welcome one and all :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Wow, lots of new people in a day.
hi ALL!!!

@samtwasteaway, from just a little north of SD (In HB) I would love to know what SD punk bands you have toured and Recorded with, if you don’t mind sharing your resume.

5 Likes

Welcome @scooterg56!
I only have the online version, but I think the CD contain the backing tracks for the lessons. You can use those tracks to practice the lessons without Josh talking and for a longer time as well.

6 Likes

Welcome @scooterg56!

4 Likes

As kid I thought it stupid but in school we actually had a class “learn to learn”.
It was a nice idea but looking back nothing stuck with anyone and after all the actual skills and methods to effectively learn were developed outside of school.

Welcome @scooterg56!
Did I get that right? You bought both versions of the course? I don’t really understand why. Hope you get the DVD issue solved!

5 Likes

The DVD version includes online access :wink:

5 Likes

Oh. That makes much more sense. I didn’t read the info for the DVD course because I would already be hard pressed to find any optical drive in my home. Best I can do is play them on my xbox.

4 Likes

Same for me. I can only read DVD on my desktop :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome @sincityxingyi! You should be able to check off that 17-point checklist by the end of the course, that’s part of how I designed the course and the checklist!

Welcome Scott @scooterg56! Glad that stimulus money went to good use. :yum:

Weird! Please contact support here and we’ll figure that out for you: Contact Us | BassBuzz.com

6 Likes