Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Well, I continually have problems with technology. Like while playing the physical 7th module DVD, it would continually black out. So…because of my fickle history with tech, I wanted a back-up. I like watching the lessons on my big TV, with sound system laying down the bass, but I’m back to my 10 " Sam-Pad with good Audio Technica headphones. It’s all good.
Nice chatting with you, Scott

3 Likes

Yeah, weird. I got go tell you I’ve heard that so many times with my health, and with tech, it’s no longer weird for me…its life. :rofl:

3 Likes

I hope you find some punk bands in SD, not any punks in Central Oregon. Mostly Cowboy and Folk. I have to go to Portland to get any 80’s punk and new-wave. The last was the Psychodelic Furs.
I hope you find something, Scott

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to revisit the Ska lesson. I love that stuff.
Scott

3 Likes

That must be rough with no punk around. I don’t know how I survived thru all the cancelled shows.

I am pretty much in the central hub for 80’s West Coast Punk. I am currently about 1.25 miles from where the Original Zubie”s and the Cuckoo’s Nest used to stand.
If you don’t know of Zubie”s and or the Cuckoo’s, listen to the song Urban Strugle by the Vandals, off the album that let me know, oh so many years ago, that I loved Bass, Peace Thru Vandalism. Classic.

There are tons of Punk bands from San Diego up to Ventura / Oxnard, then in SF, but I am always up for more punk bands.

Punk-no-die

P.s. I am glad you are feeling better @scooterg56

1 Like

Hey,
Thanks for writing back. You are blessed to live in a Punk Paradise. I grew up in Seattle so I was lucky to see a lot of bands come to Seattle. I use to go to a club called the Showbox. I was privileged to see the band X. Billy Zoom playing a Sparkle Jet Gretch, kicking and spitting at the mosh pit. I think it was John Doe on bass. I was Pogoing in the back so I could see the band. I also saw Romeo Void, and the Stray Cats doing their Rockabilly thing. There where a lot of local punk bands I would see.
My favorite bands on vinyl are Gang of Four, Joy Division.
I know it’s a little outside the 80’s, but I love Nirvana. When I got my first bass a year and a half ago, I immediately went to figure out 4 of their songs, and was working on a 5th, when I got BassBuzz, now it’s mostly BB, but I’ll get back to Novacelic in due time.
Thanks for the chat the 80’s gets me excited.
Scott

1 Like

Yay! Another post-punk!

Peter Hook is my hero, Disorder has been my favorite song for decades.

Love Gang of Four too. Did you know Dave Allen (GoF bass player) lives in Portland now?

Not at all, Bleach came out in 1989 and is their most punk-like work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love Jon Doe (good actor too) and X @scooterg56.
This next band is one most don’t know or remember.

“I might like you better if we slept together
I might like you better if we slept together
I might like you better if we slept together
But there’s something in your eye that says maybe,
and that’s never
NEVER SAY NEVER!”

Ahhh, memories.

I am sorry to say, I am not a Nirvana fan however.
Sorry if it’s a deal killer, but I just need to get it in the open so you know.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Hi @T_dub,
Nirvana unplugged DVD is grouse.
I also love Alice in chains unplugged :+1:
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Romeo Void? Man I remember when that came out. Didn’t know they were socal.

2 Likes

talking nostalgia, reminds you of something

2 Likes

Oh…oh…Romones of course and one of my favs is Dead Kennedy’s

4 Likes

So again, I’ve missed so many new bass players!! Since I’m too damn old to remember anyone’s name or forum ID, all I. An say is WELCOME to the BEST byghad BASS forum on the Inter-Friggin-Net!!

You’ll get plenty of support,… No BS, and no one here is gonna make like they’re better than anyone else… Ego’s here are “Checked at the door”…

Welcome!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

11 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Gonçalo, I’m 32 and was born and raised in Portugal.

Started fiddling with the bass almost 10 years ago, mostly playing covers back then. Alas, two years into it, I ruined my bass! That’s what happens when you don’t know what you’re doing with electronics and truss rods. Curiosity killed the bass!

Three years ago, I got back at it with a friend’s bass, jamming with some friends on and off. Last year my girlfriend got me my current frankenbass and from then on I started taking it a bit more seriously, looking into getting musically educated and improve my technique.

Professionally, currently I’m a Senior Frontend Web Developer (started coding when I was 13 years old for fun) in a big software house here in Portugal. I’ve done a bit of everyting in this area (web/mobile design, mobile apps, server-side programming, game developing, etc.), finally settling with frontend development, as it gives me more freedom to express myself creatively.

I’m also a Commercial Airplane Pilot License holder, currently unemployed in that area. Was getting back at it in the beginning of this year, but 2020 being 2020, didn’t work out because of the pandemic, and due to the economic setback it’ll be a tricky venture in the foreseeable future. Thinking positive, I have more time for bass :innocent:

Started scuba diving last year, and it’s now my major hobby besides playing bass. It was on hold during the quarantine, but last weekend we were finally allowed to go back underwater!

To finish: I’m glad I didn’t get rid of my old bass. Restoring it has been one of my pastimes during this pandemic!

11 Likes

Welcome @gcancella

It’s a great forum filled with knowledge and very friendly people.

5 Likes

Welcome @gcancella. You have some great hobby / professions going on for you. Glad to have you here with us.

3 Likes

I noticed it :wink:. I’m mostly a lurker on internet forums, but this one made me want to be a part of it!

6 Likes

Hello everyone! Just joined after getting a Vox amPlug yesterday. Taught myself to play the bass for fun last year but it was mainly based on tablatures, I’m completely clueless when playing with other friends especially during ‘free jam’. Don’t know my way across the fretboard (yet!). A friend lent me his bass indefinitely when I told him that I want to learn to play. I tried Scott’s Bass Lessons on trial earlier this year but I got lost somewhere when he suddenly jumped on scales :sweat_smile: found out about BassBuzz when I was watching ‘10 Gadgets to Make You a Better Bassist (Or NOT?)’ on YouTube, hence the amPlug!

I’ll try to spend at least 2 hours a day practicing, but what is the ideal amount of time should I invest on daily? I have a day job, so I can only practice after work, and during weekends. No rush to progress, but it would be nice to be playing with friends after 3 months, without them needing to show me what note to play and where it is on the fretboard :laughing: my goal is to be able to play without needing tabs, with focus on the type of music that I like. With that said… I enjoy all different types, but bass-wise, I like what Peter Hook did with Joy Division/New Order, Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club, Motown in general, and Joe Dart with Vulfpeck.

Also, forgive me for saying this, and with all due respect… I’m not the biggest fan of bass slaps. I mean, that kind with over-the-top, constant slapping :joy: I’m good with guys like Remco on YouTube though! Can we still groove without excessive slapping?

p/s: if you see grammatical errors on this post and in the future, English is not my native language

10 Likes

Welcome aboard @gcancella
Enjoy the ride
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @seabear

Are you doing the B2B course? If not you should give it a go. It’s a great guide to getting things right even with playing experience

3 Likes