Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I don’t think so. I just read @joergkutter’s link a couple posts up, and using the C-clamp as described in that article is in fact a brilliant idea.

5 Likes

I’m a low brass player by trade, having played in the military (20 years) and afterwards some 25 years now. (I’m not quite a geezer, but getting there.)

So for more than 50 years now, it’s been strictly brass except for a period of about a year when I began playing upright. I concluded that that instrument was a little too ungainly to continue and while I’m not giving up my brass playing, I plan to begin studying the electric bass. Why? Why not? I have always observed small combos playing more contemporary music from a distance and while I’m no stranger to jazz and other styles, I’d like to broaden my perspectives a little.

I have a MIM Fender P, but I have not played this instrument at all. Unsure about it, really, as it either has been slammed on a surface or dropped from a significant height, the result being the body is cracked in the front AND the back about 6-8 inches. I will be checking that out in due course. Just a cursory look at repair jobs, repairing this crack exceeds what I paid for this bass - so I may be looking for another bass in line for a beginner.

I’ve begun researching all of this, and have observed a few Youtube videos from Mr. Buzz, and I was especially interested to see the beginner’s guide for purchase of an instrument in the event this P bass goes belly up.

11 Likes

Welcome @Eupher… just out of curiousity, what low brass instrument do you play?

4 Likes

I play all the low brass instruments - euphonium (my principal instrument), bass trombone, tenor trombone (they are really two different instruments), and tuba.

6 Likes

And thank you for your welcome, PamPurrs! I look forward to learning the instrument and the people here.

4 Likes

That’s awesome @Eupher.

I played trumpet when I was younger (1970s). I was inspired by Lee Loughnane, who I loved watching and listening to playing next to James Pankow and how they could turn those high and low brass instruments into rock music.

4 Likes

I’ve spent a lot of time around trumpet players, which definitely accounts for my hearing loss! Snare drummers haven’t helped, either. LOL

Lee Loughnane did well with Chicago, and I was always impressed with Jimmy Pankow’s musicianship. Tenor trombonists I have grown to appreciate include Carl Fontana, Bill Watrous (both of these monsters are gone now) and Bob McChesney. Bob, in particular, has a great smooth style that just blows me away.

4 Likes

My name is Larry, I’ve played guitar for years but had never played bass, when my son took an interest I had bought him a nice rig, 3 basses but after a year or so he stopped playing. This year I started recording material I had written and performed in clubs over the years but since I’m not in a band decided to dust off my son’s old gear. I’ve got 9 tunes recorded and posted up on youtube and soundcloud but along the way decided to really play bass as opposed to being a guitar player that plays on a bass. That led me to bassbuzz, glad to be here.

11 Likes

Welcome @Eupher!
I recently bought my first bass after borrowing one. The bass buzz video is an excellent guide for buying a new bass but since the models available to me in the music store weren’t listed I had help from this great community here.
That said - as long as it still sounds fine it should be okay. At least as long as the body holds together :wink:

Welcome @Tokyo_Rat!
If I remember correctly @howard lives in Tokyo. I saw that you don’t and have no idea how close your location is to Tokyo. Just something worth mentioning I think.

7 Likes

Welcome @Eupher and @Tokyo_Rat

5 Likes

Thank you…Tokyo is just a train ride away…after we get cleared visit the major cities again I’d like to look up some of the folks in the surrounding area…thanks for the heads up!

5 Likes

Thank you!! Glad to be here!

5 Likes

Thank you! Appreciate the warm welcome!

5 Likes

Oh hey, welcome! Down at Yokosuka it looks like? I’m up in close-in west Tokyo myself.

5 Likes

Thank you guys for this useful information! I know the term ‘dead spots’ but had never heard of this regarding a bass guitar.

3 Likes

So it can be fixed in two ways: Adding some weight to the headstock or change the G-string for a different brand. At first I will try to put a clamp on the headstock to investigate how many grams is needed to stop this unwanted resonation.

3 Likes

I didn’t know about this phenomenon either, @NicoWesterhof, until I found a dead spot on my Fender copy… However, to be honest with you, it is not something that is really bothersome and probably not very obvious in most playing situations. So, I have not done anything about it… but, of course, if you a) feel it is bothering you, and b) you feel confident that you can implement some of the suggested solutions, then by all means go for it :smile:

Let us know how it turns out (perhaps in a different thread…)!

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Eupher and @Tokyo_Rat!

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Tokyo_Rat
Enjoy the ride
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Eupher
Enjoy the ride
Cheers Brian

5 Likes