Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome aboard @Eupher and @Tokyo_Rat . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

6 Likes

Welcome @Eupher

5 Likes

been here for about 10yrs…I’m here supporting the Navy and we love it…we liked it better in Yokohama but we’ve adjusted…this would have been posted sooner but they said I reached a limit and had to wait a day before posting again

6 Likes

It gets better soon. It’s just a security measure to prevent newly registered members from flooding the forum.

7 Likes

Cool! I’ve been here around the same amount of time, been to Yokohama a lot but never all the way to Yokosuka.

4 Likes

Hey @Tokyo_Rat,
I loved Yokohama, was there last year.
I’m into cars so made the effort to get down to Mooneyes area1.
Great shop if your into custom cars and pimped bikes.:+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

One of my favorite places to eat big apple pie and bottomless coffee which is unheard of in Japan…I lived around the corner in the Negishi housing area

7 Likes

Hi @Tokyo_Rat
Shigi the owner is a great guy, my wife and I got a complete tour of the facility including a couple of selfies.
I gave him one of our car club shirts.
We also had lunch and his delivery guy drove us back to the station for train back to Sudobashi.
Will upload a couple of pics.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

9 Likes

Awesome…one of my favorite places to go eat…of course now Yokohama is off limits but soon…

5 Likes

I also autographed the toilet wall, it’s just the done thing when you visit :+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Man. It’s so true. Coffee has really taken off of course and really high end coffee is all over Tokyo now, but finding a place that just keeps pouring good old diner joe is hard. It’s just not a thing.

Luckily baked goods are covered. I am so in love with Kobeya apple pie. They bake them in English-style pie squares so they are these little self-contained wonders.

You ever go up to Yokota for US/Japan Friendship Day? That’s fun. Awesome BBQ.

6 Likes

Maybe @howard,
You need to take a trip done to Mooneyes Area1 in Yokohama and say hello to Shigi and the crew.
It’s a great place and you may even get a tour of the facility.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Sounds cool. A little out of the way for me for coffee but sounds like a fun place to visit. I have a friend that’s a car buff and the next time he’s in town I’ll take him down there.

5 Likes

Hi @howard,
If he is into cars and bikes it’s worth the effort.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome @Eupher! Sounds like you need a new bass to me, I’m guessing that’d be pretty expensive to fix. The repair cost could prob buy you a new MIM, or at least a nice Squier.

Welcome @Tokyo_Rat, glad you found a new purpose for all that bass gear. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@JoshFossgreen - I’m going to be visiting a guitar repair shop in my area for an evaluation. My own limited evaluation (tuning is about all I can do at this point) points toward no real effect of the cracks and the smashed up bottom. Instrument stays pretty well in tune. I have no idea how old the strings are and no idea about fret leveling and that kind of thing, so we’ll see what they say. I’m betting with a new set of strings and a general once-over, this bass should be OK for me to learn on. Down the road I might well invest in something that doesn’t look like it’s been through a Who concert, but so far so good.

6 Likes

@Eupher I’m all for it being left showing it’s life scars, if it could talk’ :slight_smile:
Get the bits that matter sorted, she looks great. Better to pick a bass by feel. The eyes can be easily fooled. If a picture makes the bass look good we all go wow! But no one has touched it or even heard it.
Have a look at JJ Cale’s Guitar
JJCale shows his old custom Harmony guitar - YouTube

2 Likes

@Jamietashi - just got back from the guitar shop. The tech is just going to give it a once-over to get things on an even keel. He noticed the truss rod was a little off and string height was too high. A few other things that went over my head. He also looked at the cracks and the bashed-in bottom edge and said it adds “character.” I have to agree!

I’ve seen videos of Willie Nelson’s guitar. And the luthier that keeps that old Martin going. Wow. This guy JJ Cale, same thing, although I think Willie’s guitar at least has a back on it! lol

3 Likes

Wait, :stop_sign:
Who said this first???

That wanker @tdub said it first I think.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Thank the guy when you go in for professionally confirming my original assessment.
Haha

5 Likes