Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi I’m Paul from St Louis 64 years old and new to the bass by about 4 months. Been playing drums for a while and because my wife is working from home not to much “stick” time for me here…soooo looked around and because I believe the bass guitar is a bridge from drums to guitar thought I’d give it a go. Glad I did so far just loving it, I have vox’s bass headphone amp and usually I practice for about 45 min before work and again after work and my wife doesn’t hear a thing ( at this point she’s not missing much). Although I know I’m new to the bass it has come to me fairly easy and I think I’m advancing day by day. I want to learn all I can and will probably take Josh’s beginner course in the near future. I own a cheap P bass and a Jazz bass (both Glarry) I think they are terrific and have learned how to do a simple set up on both (neck relief and string action). One more thing I gotta say I think Josh is awesome he vids are both informative and humorous which makes learning from him a very enjoyable experience.

10 Likes

Welcome @phoevel

3 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is James and I just joined BassBuzz to learn how to play the bass guitar. I am glad to be taking the class and I have finished the first module already and will have the second done tomorrow.

9 Likes

Welcome @gpromod

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @phoevel
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @gpromod
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @phoevel . I recently watched a review of the Glarry P bass on YT and was really impressed with it. From the looks to the sound it was very good to say the very least especially for the price.

Welcome @gpromod. Enjoy the course. It’s magic :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @phoevel and @gpromod!

3 Likes

@phoevel welcome aboard, good to have some young blood. Paul sooner you start the course the better as all of the finer details are in it. Im amazed at the jump in my progress.
Jamie

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @gpromod look fwd to your posts
Jamie

3 Likes

Welcome @gpromod!
The first modules are relatively easy to complete in one day but it gets harder and I personally recommend the approach of taking the time you need.

Welcome @phoevel
I agree that it’s the natural bridge but I also would say that after drums it’s the one (common) instrument that is hard to muffle/confine the sound to one space. The low frequencies are hard to stop compared to others… Just wanted to mention this because of stories of neighbours and wifes complaining about shaking walls.
That said - Glad you found your way here and I wholeheartedly recommend the B2B course especially if you are a Beginner without a plan on what to learn/do next.

5 Likes

Hello all! I’m a thirty year old man that has bounced the idea of purchasing a bass guitar for many years. Though musically inclined from being in band for 7 years throughout my younger years, I’ve had an increasing urge to obtain a bass. Honestly, watching several videos over and over the past week helped me decide, and I went ahead and purchased my first bass guitar. I look forward to learning all I can, even if it is just to be a side hobby of mine!

8 Likes

Welcome aboard @KiltedCowboy
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Welcome @KiltedCowboy

4 Likes

Welcome, and thanks for that review / suggestion.
I saw one on offer up, but was not too sure what exactly it was. With your suggestion, I checked it out on Amazon (only $99). Looks pretty cool, I like the easy all in one functions it provides. One reviewer said you can get a Bluetooth karaoke machine that does the same thing for 1/2 the price, but I know the Tascam name for a long time and would be more apt to get this.
I am going to go back and search offer up to see if it is still available, otherwise, I will probably be getting one from Amazon soon.

And welcome to @KiltedCowboy and anybody else I may have missed one the past cpl days

4 Likes

Yep, still on LetGo app, locally, they just reposted it 2 days ago, and its been on for a long time.
$40, so I am all over it

Ha Ha Ha, I found an one one that works with cassette tape. It has the Guitar in jack, I just don’t know where I would do about finding any cassette tapes. LOL
I actually think there arre a couple in my storage, have no idea what music it is, or if the tape quality is any good, so I think I will pass. Its more of a nostalgia type thing

3 Likes

That sounds great … but too short, hehe.

The very first Level album is absolutely epic. A pity that later on they saw fit to become more commercial, but Money Talks, I guess.
My personal favourite of that album is Dune Tune … you probably know it, but if not, it’s definitely worth checking out. You’d enjoy playing that, I’m sure, and Starchild as well.

One day, in two or three years I hope, I shall be able to sit down and play those songs.
Do you think that’s a realistic expectation, or do I underestimate the difficulty of those basslines?

For those of you guys who have never heard of Level 42 or only know some of their later and more popular songs, I’ll link the three I mentioned above.
I believe everybody who likes bass will enjoy those tracks.

Level 42 - 43
Level 42 - Dune Tune
Level 42 - Starchild

2 Likes

The King brothers are great. I never really got in to Level 42 back then but I appreciate them now much more. Back then mostly all I knew them for was “Something About You,” which really wasn’t my style at the time.

Nathan King does a lot of work for andertons.co.uk now, in case you had missed that.

3 Likes

Yeah, most people who are not fans know Something About You and Lessons In Love … which are okay, but nothing to get excited about.
I remember knowing I Was Made For Loving You by KISS and thinking, “Yeah, they are not bad”, until somebody who was a fan introduced me to their real music.

It very often seems that the first two or three albums of a band, no matter their genre, are the best … before they become more mainstream, to reach a broader base and make more money.
Understandable yet lamentable.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @KiltedCowboy!

4 Likes