Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome @KiltedCowboy. Your screen name has piqued my curiosity. Does that mean you play in a kilt and cowboy hat? :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

Welcome Paul @phoevel! I miss St. Louis, always liked playing there on tour.

Welcome James @gpromod, hope you dig the course!

Welcome @KiltedCowboy, congrats on your new bass!

Sounds realistic, if you put in the work! Learn the s**t out of 16th notes, and drill your slap technique til your thumb is made of iron.

8 Likes

I do own a kilt, but no longer wear a hat as such. So I guess my screen name is now a half-truth

6 Likes

Well I think we all need to see a photo of @KiltedCowboy in his kilt and cowboy hat photoshopped next to a photo of @juli0r in his Batman outfit. Just sayin’ :smile_cat:

7 Likes

Hi all. I have been playing the bass now for about 45 days. Started right after my 56th birthday, about a week after my mother died. Motivation is a funny thing. As a kid, my parents asked what I wanted to learn to play, and I answered baseball. They did not push it and I never learned to play an instrument. As my mom was nearing her end I asked her if she had any regrets, and she answered yes, me never learning to play an instrument. Well, damn. I told her I was going to learn to play the bass by my 57th birthday, and she died 3 days later. I got a cheap bass and started playing an hour a day, to youtube videos and a book I bought. After 40 days I was bored and frustrated, and stumbled across a bass buzz video. Today is my 4th day with Josh, and I have already made more progress than the 40 days prior. Realized my cheap amazon bass was really crap, and bought an Ibanez Mezzo, 32" scale. Quite the difference. Looking forward to being able to play most anything I want. Going to get there, mom.

13 Likes

Welcome to the community @Vida19!

6 Likes

@Vida19 great motivation welcome aboard
Jamie

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Vida19.

I started with that same cheap Amazon bass, and switched out less than a month later for a much better one.

That’s a great story about your mom. I’ll bet she’s smiling down on you as you go through the B2B course.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Vida19,
Enjoy the ride.
Sorry to hear of your loss, you will really enjoy the b2b and will enjoy the forum.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Welcome @Vida19
Sorry for your loss. I’m sure your Mom will be so happy with your steps along the path of learning a musical instrument.
I’m another person guilty of buying a cheap bass to start with and then getting something more suitable very quickly after starting the B2B course :flushed:

5 Likes

@Vida19

Sorry for your loss, and I hope the bass course helps you get to where you want to be :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, I was same, started hard and fast with books and a few internet videos. When I felt lost, and BassBuzz found me and Josh set me straight. I completed B2B, and now take Lessons with Josh. It’s been great 5-6 months.

Got a Mezzo huh, what color.
I ask cuz it comes in my FAVORITE COLOR, which quite a few regulars know what I am asking.
Let’s put it this way, would it fir the color scheme of BassBuzz? Lol
Congrats on the best 4 days of bass playing and the new Mezzo.
Question?
Was your cheap bass a short (well Mezzois Medium, like the Gretchen) scale bass, or did you decide to go from full to medium scale?

5 Likes

I’m curious to hear how you like the Mezzo too. They look really good to me. I’ve played a few Yamaha 32" basses and it’s a fun size - feels faster than 34" without being too much different.

6 Likes

Welcome @Vida19!

I had a similiar experience with the B2B course. I’m convinced it’ll help you reach your goal!
Don’t forget to enjoy yourself while playing though :wink:

6 Likes

My Mezzo is Saphire Blue. I really like it. My cheap amazon bass is full scale. Moving 3 frets was challenging, so I started looking around, came across a story about Paul McCartney rocking a short scale, tried one, decided that was too short, and settled on the 32" Mezzo. I can get across the full scale bass now, reasonably well, but then I pull out the 32" and feel quite a bit more nimble and capable. It was described as ‘fun to play’. I totally agree.

8 Likes

Hi All,
At 52 I decided to buy a bass to have something to do with my 13 y/o Son who himself has bought a bass. We’re hoping to buy B2B together but Covid has really hit my finances but in a week or two we should be set.
Can’t wait to get into it but I’m quite a slow learner. I’m good with tools etc but gaining head knowledge sucks. My son on the other hand can pick things up quickly.

Looking forward to great times with my son when we can be together during holidays as we live 200 miles apart.
Love Josh’s teaching technique, he makes it look so easy Lol.

I’m Mike and I’m a bass addict.

12 Likes

Blue is nice, but I love the Roadster Orange. I have a GSR20M in that orange, and just returned the Orange SR300, exchanged it really for this.

I really want this, but not gonna dish out $2700 for it, not just yet anyhow, but it is my #1 dream bass.

I do like the mezzo tho, I can see owning an orange one some day, for the reasons @howard already mentioned.

5 Likes

Welcome @MikeE68

5 Likes

Welcome Mike, to lie club of bass addicts, you will fit right in.
The course is SOOOOOOOOO worth it, it is really incredible.
Idk if you can swing it, but if you do the payment plan, you get all access immediately., plus if you prefer the DVD set, once you order it, you also get IMMEDIATE access to the online version, so you would be able to start right away.
Of course, if you need to wait for even that, totally understandable.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard Mike, I’m very hands on and 64, Josh has managed to get stuff into my head that I thought I would never understand. There is a payment option thats what I did. @MikeE68
Jamie
Like @T_dub said

5 Likes