Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome @Hoopscoach

6 Likes

Welcome @Hoopscoach

5 Likes

Weel… I’ve always wanted to learn to play Bass, but never had the time or else life got in the way. Now at 56, I have time and so I bought my first bass today, an Austin AJ-B-300, and a Blackstar bass amp. I have no idea what I’m doing yet, but I’m looking forward to learning all I can. I don’t care about playing in a band, this is more “therapy” for me than anything else.

10 Likes

Welcome @sparky2k9

I always like to figure people out by their screen name. So let me guess…

You’re an electrician and have 2 dogs?

8 Likes

Hello all…

So, I’ve owned a bass for about 12 years and thought it might be time for me to actually learn how to play it… :slight_smile: Actually, I took lessons back then, just never got very far with them. And I understand some music from playing trumpet in school back in the stone ages (actually wish I had stuck with that as well, but put it down in high school and never picked it back up), so a lot of the early B2BA is review, but that’s a good thing - I haven’t done much with my bass other than play some rocksmith, so I appreciate the reminders/reinforcements/tips I’m picking up in the early lessons.

Why bass? I’m not really sure - I’ve just always felt drawn towards the bass in music I like. And I feel like my fingers are too fat and uncoordinated for fretting a guitar. :slight_smile: Some influences - Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Cliff Burton, Geezer Butler, Mike Mills (REM)…

I’m not sure I ever see myself playing with others - bit too introverted for that… But if I ever get to the point of being able to play along (competently) with Rush/Maiden/Metallica, that would be cool. Guess I’m just looking to learn something new and have some fun…

Looking forward to learning with all of you… Cheers…

11 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Gianluca from Rome (Italy).
I’m 43 and I’m a self-taught bass student (I hope it’s correct XD) since I was 20(-ish).
I play in a U2 cover band (well, not now…stupid Covid) but I think it’s time to learn new skills and improve the old one.
I hope I can get used to your way to name notes (in Italy we have different names) but I watched enough Josh videos on youtube to know that he is a great teacher and I’m sure he can help me! :smiley:

12 Likes

Welcome @skydvr and @g.palmieri

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @sparky2k9, @skydvr & @g.palmieri!

6 Likes

Hello everyone! I’ve been a lurker here for a while so figured it is time to introduce myself lol. I finished the course a few months ago, and am thrilled the way it improved my playing and understanding of the bass. I play mostly on my own as a hobby but will probably jump at any chance I get to play with a band. Recently I’ve been focused on playing blues but also love 90’s alternative and grunge. The bass has been the only instrument I’ve put any serious time into and I absolutely love it and am always looking forward to learning new things and testing my abilities.

14 Likes

Congrats on finishing the course, and welcome to the Forums, @Zeltys

6 Likes

Welcome @Zeltys

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Zeltys and congratulations on finishing the course.

5 Likes

Welcome @Zeltys .

5 Likes

Wrong side of 65 locked in again,what to do.Yes learn to play Bass OK lets go.
So here’s my new team an Epiphone Toby and a Laney 30 watt amp with an entanglement of wires.

13 Likes

Welcome and congrats Molly! Look forward to hearing more of your journey!!

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @J-and-T,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome aboard to everyone who has recently got on board, I’ve been MIA, released from lockdown in Melbourne, so been taking the opportunity to catch up with family and friends.
I scrolled through the intro’s and see so many newbies,so I thought I just say a big welcome to everyone, enjoy the ride😎
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Hi Im Danny, Im 58. Ive been messing around with Guitar and Bass since I was 12 or 13. Just never really got into it. Seemed like I always had something better todo. Ride my dirt bike, surf , fishing what ever. Then about a year ago I told myself, f2ck it its time to commit to it and learn for real. Bought a bass, amp and ready to roll, right? I has a fairly good understanding of music theory. So I tried Bass something with that english dude Scott wasn’t digging on that. tried songsster and a half adozen other web sites. Uhg! then my wife came acrossed BassBuzz about a month ago. Thank god she did cuz I was going Covid-19 crazy. Ive got to more mods to go. let me tell you some thing teaching yourself on your own with no instructor of any kind is just a good way to pick up tons of bad habits. With the help of Josh and badass I have corrected. This course is the best thing that ever happen to my bass playing. Learning the material here and learning new songs is a piece of cake now, and getting better everyday. Im retired so I dedicate at least 4-5 hours a day to practice. No neighbors so I can jam as loud as I want. That my friends is my intro !!! Own 3 basses now ,1 acoustic, 2 electric. Not bad for a month into it!!!

Danny

12 Likes

Welcome @DanO

4 Likes

Welcome @sparky2k9! Good luck with that Blackstar amp - do you mean the Fly 3 Bass? I had a terrible time with it in my first Gadget reviews video -

It works great with headphones though, just be careful with the wimpy little speaker. :slight_smile:

Welcome @skydvr! You can be introverted and still play with people, that’s why they invented shoegaze. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome @g.palmieri! I hope your U2 band has a good pun-based name, there are so many great options. Us2… U2 2… or the Scott Aukerman podcast version, U Talkin’ U2 2 Me. :crazy_face:

Welcome @Zeltys, congrats on finishing the course!

Welcome @J-and-T, congrats on starting bass!

Welcome @DanO, just remember your wife counts as a neighbor when setting your maximum jam volume! :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes