Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome aboard Ken. Nice anecdote :grinning:

4 Likes

greetings josh and bassbuzzheads!

i started off as a cough guitarist cough 25 years ago! and played actively for about 15 years, though during that time i was in 3 bands, where i always played bass lol!

i haven’t played any music in the last ten years or so… but since lockdown began, i bought a bass over the summer since my partner took up an interest in guitar, and it’s been a real joy for me to have a creative outlet again!

since i’ve always focused on guitar in the past, i thought i’d take some time to really get familiar with bass technique and concepts. in surfing through youtube i found bassbuzz videos, and two things really got me hooked: the humor! love the jokes man, anything for a laugh these days esp amirite!? and second, a lot of your lessons really made me THINK about what i’m playing. I enjoyed that level of engagement, and thought i’d give the program a go!

really enjoying things so far, big thanks to your team for helping all of us through a rough year!

10 Likes

Welcome aboard @alexicon

Quite a few of us started on the 6 string monsters but eventually saw the light :bulb: only took me 40 years lol

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @alexicon!

5 Likes

Welcome to the fold @alexicon. Even if you’ve been playing a while I’m sure you’ll get a lot from this course.

5 Likes

Welcome @alexicon

5 Likes

Welcome @alexicon, thanks to our generous new members policy here, we do allow former guitarists. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

lol thanks Josh :joy:

i am a full bass convert now, one of my new favorite hobbies is making up basslines while i’m watching netflix. anything to get more playtime into my day!!!

7 Likes

So, I am 54 and purchased a bass to take advantage of the Covid situation. I tried playing when I was younger… but I wasnt patient enough to take lessons consistently. This was long before the Internet. Now, I am an empty nester. I found Josh on YouTube. Between that, bass tabs, and other videos I feel both good and overwhelmed. I am playing riffs (somewhat)… but a lot of the stuff goes way too fast. I am not sure if I am jumping in the middle or from the beginning.

11 Likes

Hi @bcherry. Welcome to BassBuzz!

Josh’s YouTube videos move a lot faster than the course does.

If you want to see how the YouTube videos line up with the course, you can look here… BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide - Bass - BassBuzz Forum

The YouTube videos are definitely not a replacement for the course. The course is fantastic.

4 Likes

Welcome @bcherry

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @bcherry,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @bcherry!

4 Likes

Welcome @bcherry

5 Likes

Hi. I’ve been making experimental electronic music for some years, and I started learning bass a few years ago for the sake of something tactile, to improve my ear & musicianship in general, and because the low end is just better. I had been learning mostly from a certain website that I still like a lot, but it hasn’t been updated in quite a few months now and I got bored of repeating its lessons. So most of B2B has been review so far, although I’m slapping for the first time and I haven’t gotten the hang of picking (especially muting with a pick). I also couldn’t improvise if my life depended on it. I’d like to learn more instruments eventually – maybe just voice and keyboards – but first I’d like to reach the point where I can actually use my bass playing in my music… Somehow everything falls apart if I start recording… Although I have also recently started trying to get better at finger drumming, and I am actively using that.

Other pursuits: volunteer work, photography, horticulture, cooking & baking, a little bit of DIY electronics and circuitbending type stuff, a little audio programming with SuperCollider.

My last name really is Goodfriend. I am not a good friend. Sorry.

I play real bass right-handed, but air bass left-handed.

12 Likes

Welcome aboard, @alexgoodfriend . . . :slight_smile:

We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Cheers, Joe

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @alexgoodfriend!

8 Likes

Welcome @alexgoodfriend

8 Likes

Welcome @alexgoodfriend

8 Likes

Welcome aboard @alexgoodfriend,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

8 Likes