Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

hi guys been playing bass now for about 2 months on the beginner to badass course and loving it ,been playing guitar for about a year but bass was always my first love but when learning when i was young i injured my back and had to stop, anyway fast forward 30 years and I’m 52 now and i watched one of joss videos on youtube and realized that my heart was really with the bass and so here I am . my dream when i was young was to play live with a good band in front of an audience and until recently i thought that dream was over but now I’m hoping i can still for fill that dream and i would really like to hear from people that have achieved this starting in midlife .look forward to talking to all of you

11 Likes

Welcome aboard @wolfrun,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Welcome @dhogue

3 Likes

Welcome @wolfrun

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @dhogue & @wolfrun!

2 Likes

HI @dhogue

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m pretty obsessed with that song. I didn’t see it in your video. Did I have the wrong link?

4 Likes

Hey there, my name is René and i’m a drummer since i was 17 years old. (Today im 32)
When i started, a good friend of mine taught me a few rhythms via Guitar Pro 3 and later send songs with a guitar and bass line for me to write a drumtrack.
A few years later i wanted to start a second instrument where i could transfer both my rhythmic knowlege and learn a little bit about music theory. Despite the fact a xylophone would fit perfect into this, it only took me ~12 years for this decision.
So in December 2020 my wife bought me a pretty nice Ibanez SR200 which fits perfect to my drumset :sunglasses:
Due to the covid pandemic and my job as an ICU nurse i decided to take a online course to learn this beautiful instrument. Lucky as i am, our bands bassist showed me one of your videos:

And he recommended this course. So i bought it and kinda rushed the first 4 modules, cause its so much fun.
I use my own schedule and really feel the progression, Billy Jean made my motivation skyrocket. Right now (i just finished module 6) i learned so much and i’m really curious for the scales, but i have to slow down a bit to keep up.
Greetings from Germany

11 Likes

Welcome @RDH

2 Likes

Welcome aboard RDH,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Welcome RDH

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @RDH!

1 Like

Herzlich Willkommen @RDH!

2 Likes

My name is Alexander and I’ve started the course a couple of weeks ago. I’m in the Netherlands and I’ve been playing bass since my early twenties (I’m 43 now). I have always very much enjoyed it.

I started off with zero knowledge on how to play, or on notes, or in fact anything musical. I just sort of fooled around until I got decent sound (to my ears). I was in a band and we even did a few gigs. The energy a gig gives is really awesome. But then I finished university and normal life crept upon me, with working every day, getting married, children and everything that goes with is. So for a long time I had the bass unused save for a few times a year.
But when your stung by the bass bee, you never really get rid of it. So I kept playing every now and again. But the bass was in the attic, between the laundry. The amp and cabinet were always too far away from the wall socket. It was a hassle and that kept me from really picking it up.

But last year we’ve had a big rebuilding of our house, and now we have an additional bedroom, that is used as a study and a music room. So now I have all my equipment in one place, my amp ready to be plugged in, my basses, yes, basses :slight_smile: are hanging on the wall and I have everything to play every day. And I do play every single day.

However, it was clear very quickly that my progress was very limited. I could still play quite a few songs from my university days, but I felt my skills were simply too much based on fooling around (which they are…). So I decided I needed a decent course to get me properly learning the bass, and here I am traveling on the BassBuzz-road towards BadAssism!

11 Likes

Welcome @bowtieben7, @dhogue, @wolfrun, @RDH, and @afoostendorp !

@dianaftw929, you are totally right, Killing Floor is in my other beginner blues video, oops! :stuck_out_tongue: (and the playalong doesn’t use the actual original bass line since it’s a super beginner lesson)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiloGr59WOg

5 Likes

welcome @afoostendorp

4 Likes

Welcome @afoostendorp

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @afoostendorp,
Enjoy the ride
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @afoostendorp!

2 Likes

Thanks! I was totally watching the video thinking I’d missed it. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes