Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hello all!

I’ve had the Beginner to Badass course for a while (maybe a year?) now but haven’t ever taken the plunge and introduced myself to the fine folks here. Up til now I haven’t been super consistent with completing the course :see_no_evil: but I’ve set aside a few evenings each week to work my way through it now and am excited to finish! :+1:

My goal is to become a proficient bass player who doesn’t have to think so hard while playing. I haven’t reached this state of nirvana yet, but hey, it gives me something to work for! As far as bassists go, I’m a big fan of Flea and Steve Harris (super original, I know :joy:) so I like listening to their stuff. :metal: In fact, it was @JoshFossgreen’s YouTube videos featuring these two bassists that lead me to this course!

Other stuff about me…

• I graduated from Liberty University Online last year with my bachelor’s in History.
  • I am a WW1 aviation fanatic and love learning all I can about hundred-year-old warbirds.

Looking forward to being a part of the community here! :smiley::guitar:

9 Likes

Welcome To The Community @cole and @Micki_Moss

Come In On The Boom
Cheers

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @cole!

3 Likes

Me too, and me either Lol. You are in the right place.
I, thru a lot of work here, tge beginner to badass course, and other courses on other sites (scales essentials, cord tones essentials, and simple steps to sight reading beginner). And monthly or bi monthly private lessons with @JoshFossgreen had me well on my way, well, on the right track.
Was hospitalized in October 1 thrushes 20th and just recovered enough to pick the bass back up mid Jan 2021, and am getting back to where I was pretty quickly, and am about to start up courses agaim, and hopefully soon, when I am back to the level I was when I was hospitalized, if time and money permits, I will start private lessons back up with @Josh fossgreen soon.
And then I will be back on my way to that reaching that set of goa
S you and I share. At which time I will set more goals and work towards those.

Welcome to home

Oh yeah

It was the fact his videos are listed on YouTube with an orange background, and that the BassBuzz logo and colors are orange that led me to the Beginner to Badass course.

It was the 100% money back guarantee along with the 5 pay plan that led me to buy the course, and get involved with the forum.
Nest thing I ever did for my bass playing to date.

4 Likes

Welcome @cole

4 Likes

Welcome @cole

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @cole,
enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @Micki_Moss, @stash, and @cole! Good to have you all here. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Flea and Harris are inspirational to many for a REASON!

5 Likes

What’s up everyone!
Been prowling around here for a year or so checking things out. Been following Josh on youtube for a almost 2 years and finally took the plunge on B2B last week. Good times so far!
LOW life from Alberta

11 Likes

Welcome @Pontoon

4 Likes

Hi all! I am an over-65 woman who just got her first bass guitar today. I chose the Ibanez GSRM20L model, since I am lefthanded. It’s the short-scale model. It fits, as I am “short scale” myself! I intend to learn how to play, and just play for fun for myself. No plans for joining a band. :wink:

Background: Long ago, when I was in middle school, I wanted to play drums. My parents had enough noise with six kids, and the music teacher next door suggested I try guitar. I wanted a LH model, but she advised against it, so guess what - I never got past “go.” Many years later, I let my youngest son’s school use that guitar for students to use. After they returned it, the same son decided he wanted to play, and used it (until an unfortunate mishap rendered it unplayable).

To make a long story short, this son continued his guitar playing through four years of guitar classes in high school, and has an acoustic and electric guitar. When my Ibanez arrived today, he helped tune it, and then gave me some pointers. He advised me on a couple of things, after watching me try a couple of Josh’s videos (Beginner Basics: Plucking Technique, and 3 Beginner Bass Riffs You Can’t F*** Up). So I am that new to the whole thing!

I have been doing my research, including reviewing several of the BassBuzz videos and some others, and visiting this forum. I have a gig bag made for the GSRM20, and my son loaned me a strap. I would like to get the following in the very near future:

• Neotech Super Bass Strap
  • Vox amPlug 2 Bass Headphone Amp
  • Korg TM-60 tuner/metronome
    I have one question about the last item: I see that the TM60 comes two ways; just the TM-60 unit, or as a combo of the TM-60 with CM-200 Contact Microphone. Is it worth it to spend about $30 more to get the microphone? I’m thinking it’s not, but thought I’d check. If I need to start a new thread for that question, just let me know.

Thanks for welcoming me to this community!

14 Likes

That’s just super cool! I don’t mean anything mean or disrespectful in saying this, quite the contrary, but most people wouldn’t think of a 65 year old woman picking up electric bass! I think it is really awesome. If people have a desire to do something they should just do it, just like you are! I really admire that!

6 Likes

Thanks kerushlow! Yep, I know it is unusual. I have been working up to it for a few years. And I think it will stimulate my brain, and help hand coordination.

If I get any basic proficiency on it, maybe I’ll join my nephews next Christmas when they bring their guitars! In the meantime, I think my son will enjoy my progress.

8 Likes

Welcome @Never2Late. Kudos on picking it up at 65. I got my first bass on my 70th birthday a couple years ago and love it. The “70” in my age is just a number. I feel and think much younger.
Rock on sista!

9 Likes

To be clear, I don’t think it is unusual, just recognize that it would somewhat commonly be viewed that way, which honestly is a shame. But again I admire you ignoring whatever unfounded noise surrounds that and you just going through with it anyway. That’s awesome. Musicianship and learning an instrument doesn’t “belong” to any age group, male or female, or anything else! If one feels the calling they should do it!

5 Likes

I didn’t know Pam! Same kudos to you! That’s so cool!

5 Likes

Thanks @kerushlow… now you know why all my covers are from the 70’s and 80s LOL

6 Likes

Well I’m kind of a weird case. I listen to Beatles, Stones, Elvis, Led, CCR, Skynyrd, even some Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Johnny Cash and Motown…so I cant really estimate someone’s age by their musical tastes!

5 Likes

Welcome @Pontoon and @Never2Late

2 Likes