Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi @domhatch! As you have been playing guitar, you have a rock solid basis for bass. If you are taking Josh’s course, you will probably take off like a rocket! :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @domhatch!

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @domhatch,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Another inspired by Flea! He really is a unique and impactful bassist. How cool would it be to inspire others?

Welcome aboard!

6 Likes

Welcome @domhatch

5 Likes

Welcome @domhatch. You live near one of my bucket list spots.

Before I die, I want to surf Jeffreys, on a big enough day to keep the sharks out of the line up.
Or maybe I want to die surfing J-bay. wouldn’t be the worst way to go.
As long as I get at least one wave from the point all the beach, it would be worth it.
Well, as long as I marked these other spots off my list first.
Bali -Uluwatu and Pdang Pdang,
Fiji for Cloudbreak
Oahu south for Ala mo, and north for Pipe
and hmmm oh yeah,
OZ for Kierra and bells
and a few other spots on the gold coast and southern coast of Australia, before I get to J-bay and meet my shark, then it would be ok.

5 Likes

I’ve been a drummer for 26 years (damn, I’m getting old), so this wasn’t my first foray into music. I also play piano, guitar, and ukulele to varying degrees of decency. My buddy suggested I try out the bass to see if I could play with him and another drummer— I didn’t realize how much I’d love it. As a side note, I’ve played percussion, cajon, drums, etc. with this buddy in acoustic settings for almost 10 years, so it’s not the first time we’ve played music together.

I was scared of trying to learn bass because I thought it would feel foreign and more difficult than guitar, but it is the exact opposite. I love how all of the strings are exact intervals. You can learn the same patterns to play anywhere on the fret. And rhythm is essential, which I have some experience in. It fit me like a glove— absolutely love it.

Our three piece band has practiced three times now, with the first time being about a month ago where I played bass for the first time. When I get into something, I don’t half-ass it, and with bass, I wanted to make sure I was not the weakest link in the band.

Anyways, it’s become a bit of an obsession to me, but in a good way as I love challenges, and what better way to use this covid time than to learn a new instrument. I started the lessons middle of February and am making good progress through it— 9th module now.
Take care.

13 Likes

Welcome @Mcsqueege

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @Mcsqueege . . . :slight_smile:

You’re really off to a good start, and with a good musical background, too!

Good luck in the course and with your band.

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Welcome @Mcsqueege

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mcsqueege!

5 Likes

Hi @Mcsqueege and welcome to the forum. I agree with you; playing bass is very addictive! I’m at module 6 right now. The more I learn, the more I love bass! Enjoy the course! :+1: With best wishes - BassPlayinSeal :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @Mcsqueege,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hello All, Just got the B2B course last week and figured I should introduce myself. Steve here, I’m in my 50s, always love the bass in all genre, including Blues, Jazz and Funk. Due to the fact that I can Play a mean electric radio, I figure I should start playing on those Bass string Myself. After watching some of Josh’s YouTube videos, I got the Bug. So I bought a Bass and an amp, got this course and her we go! My inspiration are Jeff Berlin, Marcus Miller, Mark King, Jaco Pastorius , Les Claypool and Victor Wooten to name a few. I’ve had this course for a week now and I’m really enjoying it. I’ve worked my way up to Billie Jean and found that my right hand say’s NO! I’M NOT READY YET! Gotta work on that alternating for awhile. But I’m having fun. Glad to be here!

11 Likes

Hey there! Post number 4495! Love these lessons! Josh is such a great teacher!

8 Likes

Welcome @SteveC31 and @marybethreid1

3 Likes

Welcome @SteveC31

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @SteveC31 & @marybethreid1!

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @SteveC31,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @marybethreid1,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes