Welcome aboard @Checko ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome @Checko

6 Likes

Welcome @Checko

4 Likes

Thanks everyone!! Warm welcome as usual.

7 Likes

Welcome @Checko

5 Likes

Hey everyone! I’m Scott & I’ve just signed up today & am looking forward to it. Being 58, I’m coming to the bass late. I’ve started collecting some basses that I like and I’m also building a P-Bass replica using color changing paint (I’ll post a pic once I get the electronics installed). The lessons are going to be about my speed due to my busy schedule. I’m just concerned that my hands can’t hold up to the challenge.

15 Likes

Welcome @athosmr2003 !
Glad you are here.

Your hands will catch up…just try not to over work then. They will tell you when it’s time to take a break.

7 Likes

Thanks John. I think I’ll be ok…it’s just a bit daunting but I’m hoping Josh’s lessons will get my hands in shape.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @athosmr2003 !

5 Likes

Welcome @athosmr2003

6 Likes

Welcome @athosmr2003 and @june20211

6 Likes

Welcome @athosmr2003

Interesting. can’t wait for the pictures.

The speed at which you take the course is not a problem. For your hands, I would like to suggest you pick your bass up for at least 15 minutes per day, rather then try to do 3 hours one day a week.
It is still good to have a long practice session one or two days a week, but it is much better if you pick up the bass daily.

You don’t have to do much, you can just do some finger exercises, like some of Josh’s Bass Buzz videos. You can just run these exercises for 10 min per day, and noodle around the neck or play a beginner riff you learn for the other 5 minutes.

The constant picking up the bass, will keep your hands working, committing memory to muscle, and will start to toughen up your finger pads, along with building strength and endurance.

Just be warned, that 15 min can turn into 30 quickly, which is fine, the more the better, but if you can fit in 15 min per day, you will come along alot faster. Not necessarily faster paced thru the lessons, just that doing the lessons will be less of a struggle, and you can focus on the material being taught, not having to work so hard to fret with proper pressure and placement.

any exercises will do. You can just run from the E string, play fret 1-2-3-4 with index - middle - ring - pinky and move to the A string and do 1-2-3-4, then the D string 1-2-3-4, then the G string 1-2-3-4
Then you can either
G string 2-3-4-5
D string 2-3-4-5
A string 2-3-4-5
E string 2-3-4-5
Then
E 3-4-5-6
A 3-4-5-6
etc… til you get to G string 12-13-14-15

Or

G 4-3-2-1
D 4-3-2-1
A 4-3-2-1
E 4-3-2-1
to
E 2-3-4-5
A 2-3-4-5
to G and then 5-4-3-2 back to E string and go up to G 15-14-13-12 back to E 15-14-13-12

Also, you can start doing other combos

E 1-3-4-2
A 1-3-4-2
D 1-3-4-2
G 1-3-4-2

G 2-4-5-3
etc…

or 1-2-4-3
1-4-2-3
1-4-3-2

All sorts of ways to do 15 min per day. If you are able, it will be worth it.

6 Likes

@june20211
Are you a bass player, or are you soliciting?
If you are a bass player, welcome.

5 Likes

Those exercises are well worth it but I’ll have to get my E tuned first. I’ve tried twice and broke the string both times. I use a Snark and the last time almost had it tuned but it snapped as I was approaching the optimum level.

6 Likes

You are almost definitely tuning an octave too high. You should be looking at E1, about 41.2Hz.

6 Likes

It did cross my mind too but I’m hoping I was just being hyper vigilant as my psyc calls it :joy:

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @athosmr2003 ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @june20211 ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes