Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hm, so drums don’t count, eh!?! I guess I know what you mean, but as a former drummer, I’d sure beg to differ :smile:

Welcome to the forums!

5 Likes

I was going to say the same thing as @joergkutter. I’m quite sure that my ex-brother-in-law and my pal from school would take offence at being told they didn’t play a musical instrument - even more so from a fellow drummer. :wink:

Given that there is a famous piece of music that is nothing but silence - played live and even recorded - I think drums are definitely a musical instrument.

6 Likes

What’s up I’m Georgia!!
I always loved music since I was a kid especially rock!! I remember my dad playing Gorillaz Demon Days album in the car to and from primary school and my sister hated it but I couldn’t get enough.
I tried learning drums once but I never really got into it, and I was always turned off by music learning because the way it was presented to me was music theory at the forefront which confuses me so much omg.
About a month or so ago, I found a new Japanese rock band called コロナナモレモモ (been into Jrock for a long time, I study Japanese lang at uni), and the bassist really shocked me bcos she was SO cool. I watched a bunch of her videos and just decided then and there. I am going to learn the bass.
I was somewhat worried because I thought it was quite old to pick up an instrument but now I’m amazed I thought that because I’m only 19 and its really inspiring to hear about all the experiences some of the fellow posters here have gone through.
Don’t know where I want to go with bass, but I only got it a week ago and started these online lessons today!
Very excited to see how much I grow :grin:

8 Likes

My high school music teacher / band leader would definitely argue that drums ARE a musical instrument. As a drummer, I refused to learn music theory, but he insisted that even percussionists need to know music. I disagreed, but he won that battle. After tossing my music book out of a third story window, I was promptly kicked out of the band.

5 Likes

Not to take this too far off the topic of “Introduce Yourself”, but drummer Jim Fox (from one of my favorite groups the “James Gang”) also said that his father did not consider drums to be a musical instrument.

I just don’t get that. :wink:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

Well Hi!
I am trying to get back to playing after not playing for many years. I never got very good anyway, so I suppose I’m still a noob. I had always played with a pick and am trying to learn to use my fingers more. I just bought a Squire PJ and small Fender amp to use while I watch Josh’s youtube vids.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Craigo. You’ll find lots of very nice people here, and loads of great information and support.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Craigo!

Wishing you good times and success in getting back!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

@gorgi Welcome! I can’t read Japanese, is Kiyoshi the female Bass player you’re referring to?

Oh, and No. 19 Is definitely not too old to pick up an instrument. We have all different ages, backgrounds, and experience levels here. You’re in good company. :+1:

2 Likes

@Craigo You’re in good company. Quite a few of us ended up here after deciding to get back into playing. Welcome.

2 Likes

Nope, looks like a spinoff band from Maximum The Hormone? Cool, hadn’t heard if them before. Thanks for the tip, @gorgi :slight_smile:

Lots of great female bassists here for some reason. In fact they are kind of killing it over the dudes.

3 Likes

yeah! Maximum the hormone started a rock franchise starting with the one I mentioned. The bassist in it is called Wakazaemon, she produces some of her own music and does a lot of covers too on her own YouTube channel.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Georgia @gorgi! I love Demon Days!

And welcome @Craigo, glad you’re back on the basswagon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, name’s Roadie. It’s short for Roadriguez which is also a nick name too. =P I’m a bass playing opossum, I know a full songs but my technique is sloppy and I don’t know much fundamentals. Have has few basses over the years and concentrated more on my career then my hobby and now my career allows for a lot of time for me to play. I live in the rural bush of Alaska in the 2nd largest wildlife refugee in North America. When I am not up here in the bush being a mechanic, I am running around conventions around the world dressed up as an opossum and yes, I play bass while in “suit” as we say.

7 Likes

Hey, CJ. I’m only 12 years old, been 12 for the last 53 years. I’m not new to bass playing, i’ve had one since high school. But, life got in the way and dust got in the fret board. My first bass was a Hoffner clone that my grandmother got form Sears in 1969. My second was a Gibson G3 I got when I got a real job, US Army, in 1973. I let work get in the way until Katrina took both of them and I came to realize what I missed. Ever finger the steering wheel while driving to what ever is on the radio? I ordered a Carvin Icon in 2009 and let work get in the way of that too. Until my sister asked the family to perform at moms 80th birthday and I realized I hadn’t played in 30 years. Well, since my son is a music teacher, one nephew is a choir director and the other a song writer and my sisters sing I thought i needed to learn something. Since I’ve been here this is by far the easiest to understand and follow. Thanks for making all this finally make sense. And to all you out there trying to find the time, don’t stop, don’t put it down.

10 Likes

Welcome aboard, @clar7804 . . . :slight_smile:

There’s plenty of people here who picked up the bass again later on in life, so you won’t be alone!

All best, Joe

1 Like

Welcome to you too, @RoadieOpossum . . . :slight_smile:

Hope you recover quickly from getting run over like that . . . must have been painful :wink:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Hey everyone Nate from North Carolina here. I am a 10000% beginner with any form of instrument; I’ve always had trouble even playing the radio for the last 35 years. My background is in engineering and I really enjoy building things. On a whim I ordered a DIY bass kit after watching a YouTube video and thinking that building a bass seemed like a lot of fun. My nephew plays guitar and bass so I figured it would be a present for him. After building the kit I decided to keep it and learn how to play… thus why I am here :slight_smile:

After watching a few of Josh’s free videos on YouTube and enjoying myself with his teaching style I found this site and his more advanced classes. So far I am 1 day worth of lessons into my experiment to finally learn an instrument!! Here’s to doing more than just playing open E in a few weeks time!!

9 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @Ketricel . . . :slight_smile:

You’ll get a lot out of Josh’s lessons. Interesting idea to build your own bass while you’re at it, too! Good luck with both.

All best, Joe

2 Likes

Welcome @RoadieOpossum… Yukon Delta huh… I retired from USFWS in 2012 as Chief of Facilities, but my first Wildlife Refuge was the Kodiak NWR where I did several years as the Maintenance Mechanic there.

You’ll certainly learn to break bad habits using @JoshFossgreen’s B2B course, and with the total lack of sunshine you’re going through now, you should have plenty of time to practice…

So, what’s with the ‘possum gig?? And how the hell can you play anything (other than dead) with a damn ‘possum suit on anyway??:joy::joy:

Keep on Humpin’, Thumpin’, and Kickin’ Ass!!

4 Likes