Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

try to keep the difficulty at 100% but make the speed slower.

6 Likes

There are quite a few new members since I last looked in here, so another welcome to you all. I hope you all enjoy it here as much as I am. I’m now in the middle of module 4 of the B2B course and having a great time.

5 Likes

Hey, I am really happy to be learning bass with this course - I am on day 22 now after a fun bass playing Christmas break! I am a 50 year old British woman, no previous musical background bar recorder at school, but love music, buy records and have always been into strong basslines. I struggle a little with the handspan especially when on fast workouts (I’m a microshifter) and am hoping my hands will learn to stretch more as I bought an Ibanez SR300E to learn on which I really like but also enjoy an early Peavey Grind bought in my general excitement. I’m interested to read that there are a lot of peeps liking the short scale basses, perhaps I should have thought of that but in fact I had never picked up a bass before 1 month ago

18 Likes

Hi @ChameleonGirl and welcome to B2B and the forum! Enjoy the lessons!

5 Likes

Welcome! I’m a bit of a microshifter, too, but the more I play/practice the stretches the less I tend to do so. I have a 34" scale 6-string and two 35" scale 5-strings and can play them all without too much trouble, now. Of course, my 5-string Ibanez Mikro’s 28.6" scale is a breeze lol. So is my SRC6 30"

Glad to have you, and I wouldn’t sweat the scale length too much. As your technique develops the spans will get a lot easier :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@Denise1 , Welcome
and
@ChameleonGirl , Welcome

7 Likes

Glad you are here @ChameleonGirl !

It will take some time to stretch those fingers / decide what scale you like. No need to rush it, you will sort that out when your body and playing tell you.

8 Likes

Welcome to the dark side @ChameleonGirl

6 Likes

Welcome @ChameleonGirl

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @ChameleonGirl ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @ChameleonGirl !

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with shifting. I’m three years in and I still can’t comfortably OFPF lower than about the fifth fret. And this worries me not at all.

7 Likes

Welcome @Denise1 @ChameleonGirl @xdelanoy @amped18
Hope you enjoy your journey

7 Likes

Wow! Those are amazing! I’ll have to ask him if he is familiar. He’s been playing for 25ish years now so I imagine he is.

4 Likes

Hey all, I took lessons about 20 years ago for a year or so. Enjoyed them but life happens, and the Squire P bass got put away. But I never stopped listening to the bass line of every single song I hear. Even if the song had no bass line, I’d make one up and pluck along. 3 years ago, I began lessons again and got myself a beautiful Fender AP Mustang bass which has inspired me to play. The private lessons stopped when Covid began but I’ve played almost every day for the last 3 years. I have small hands that are arthritic and I’ve had several hand surgeries. Now at age 65, I need all the help I can get, so short scale it is. I now have 3. I’m a Chiropractor, 40 years, so playing bass and doing the appropriate stretching exercises benefits my professional career as well. A handy thing, pun intended. I guess I consider myself an advanced beginner and I’m moving through the early courses here quickly as much of this is review, although I’ve already learned a few new things. I’m in no rush. I’ll take my time and hope to one day at the end of this course, consider myself a true intermediate player. One goal is to jam with some friends, competently, which I did many years ago. I always played with a smile. A second goal is to go into a local music store, pick up a nice bass, and noodle around where I actually sound like I know what I’m doing, lol. You know, improvise a bit. Anyway, have fun everyone, it’s what it’s about. Looking forward to the rest of the course, Josh seems like a fantastic teacher!

15 Likes

Welcome aboard @Jb2904 ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Welcome @Jb2904

5 Likes

Welcome @Jb2904, you will enjoy and benefit from the course as will all of us.

5 Likes

Another welcome to @Jb2904, I’m sure you are going to enjoy it here and reach your goals.

5 Likes

Glad you are here @Jb2904

5 Likes