Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

“We are young…” It’s not a midlife thing, it is an opportunity to pick up some interests we didn’t have time for. We are young in spirit, and wiser as students. @faamecanic! My husband is pushing 70 and he is picking up the guitar. We jam together!

5 Likes

Hey @JoshFossgreen , thanks for the welcome!
I’m up to module 9 now, having been able to skip through the first few reasonably quickly, and now I am really getting into the new information that I was after. Even just having the blues/funk box and major/minor triads in my ‘toolbox’ has hugely improved my confidence in improvising lines. Looking forward to the rest of the course!

4 Likes

@HannahWalker Nice! As they say you are as young as you feel! And my favorite saying “We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”

2 Likes

@JoshFossgreen Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the courses and inspiration!

Yep…Steve Harris has a side band he has been with for about 10 yrs now. British Lion! Steve says he plays differently for this band. More 90’s grunge sounding (think Alice in Chains), lets his strings go flat vs. the briteness of his maiden style. Check them out…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKsQPMqpfGI&list=OLAK5uy_lIFqs0p01v844dlR1WX6j_4nnqX5D5LlU

They are releasing their second album this Jan and I am seeing them in a club that maybe fits 500 people. Gonna be so awesome to see my hero up close like this!

3 Likes

Well here we are.

I’ve been waiting to jump in here for several months and today is the day.

I’ve always been drawn to the bass. Can’t explain why, it just sounds right to me. I come from a non-musical family, i went to an elementary school that didn’t have a music program, and by the time I got to junior/high school, I felt like I was to far behind to learn. The folly of youth. So, Ive never played an instrument, I cant read music, and I dont know anything about theory/musicianship.

Like many of the others around here, I’m a little on the …mature side. Ive done the whole job/marriage/kids thing for many years, and I’ve finally gotten to a point where I can step back a bit and do the things that I’ve always wanted to, but never had the time/money for. On that list: Learn to play the Bass!

I did some internets research which led me here, and it seemed the perfect fit. I’m a total newb, so a course for newbs is perfect. I’ve been reading the forums and watching @JoshFossgreen videos for advice on what to buy for months now. I creeped FB marketplace for awhile and finally snagged a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass for cheap. Yesterday, my lovely wife’s family bought me a Fender Rumble 40 amp! So now I have everything I need to get started. I’m going to dive into the first lessons here in the next day or two and I’ll post updates on my progress as I go.

Wish me luck.

10 Likes

Good for you, @PWC73! . . . :slight_smile:

That’s a really great set of equipment to get started with.

We hope you enjoy your time here with us, and wish you good luck in the course.

All best, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome. That’s a great start! Nice equipment.

I started learning bass at 70, but that’s just a number. I’m sure you’ll do well with your B2B journey, as long as you stay dedicated and determined.

4 Likes

Welcome and you couldnt find a better bass teacher than @JoshFossgreen! I started playing about a year and half ago and have tried several online and application teachers and so far Im REALLY diggin Josh’s methodology to teaching. His lessons are very well thought out and step you through a good progression.

Your setup is perfect for a starting bassist…you will love it! Just stay determined, and dont get discourage. Learning any instrument is a life long experience so dont expect to be groovin to YES Roundabout (one of my favorite YES tunes) anytime soon… LOL

And for those that dont know… Chris Squire (bassist from YES) is in my top 5 bassists of all time
YES Roundabout

6 Likes

Mine too, @faamecanic :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love Yes! I saw them in Chicago in 1971 or 72, not sure of the exact year. It was awesome,

4 Likes

Welcome. I think you’re the first person on here with a Squier as their first bass. It was on my radar this year for my concerted effort to learn (properly) but I got seduced by a naked Epiphone Thunderbird, and then a tiger eye maple Peavey. The VM was highly recommended by several semi-pro bassist friends of friends. I wish I’d followed through.

You’ll enjoy this course and find the support second to none. There are no silly questions, but almost anything you are stumped with has been discussed on these forums, so it’s worth searching before getting despondent.

6 Likes

I saw Yes a couple of times in the 90’s, and it was mostly to check out Chris Squire.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I spent the afternoon doing the first couple of lessons. So far, so good.

5 Likes

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your suggestion, but it would not help. I feel like I have an opportunity here to play again with this course. I’m loving it. Wish you all the best in your endeavor.

4 Likes

This is great! I love seeing all the new people joining the forum. Welcome one and all.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum and the course @PWC73! Glad Santa brought you a good amp to start with. :santa:

3 Likes

Hello everyone. I am so excited to be here. for the last few years, I have been on an Ukulele kick and then while visiting my brother I checked out his new bass. Came home and bought myself one as well. Well now it is two weeks later and I have taken advantage of GC’s 45 day return policy twice to end up with a used bass I really love…

I was very impressed with Josh’s online lessons so can’t wait to dive it.

Allan

5 Likes

You’ll do great! I can’t wait to hear what you think @PCW73. Welcome!

1 Like

So glad you decided to come here! Please keep us posted! @allanlamonte

2 Likes

You are going to be pleasantly surprised @Alx_G. Those of us who have completed the course are so enthused we can’t wait to see how others faire! I just finished, and so I am like a convert! “Go now and play bass. Go, play bass! Play bass, now!”

3 Likes

@allanlamonte, welcome to the friendliest, helpfulest, knowledgest, and all round bassest bass learning forums around. You’d be hard pushed to find a more supportive gang and possibly the only global place you can post recordings of your own playing without getting any thumbs-downs or negative comments - just honest & helpful feedback and plenty of praise.

The course is pretty good, too.

7 Likes