Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Let’s play a game of Spot the Single Dude! :rofl:

7 Likes

Technically he’s right, that’s what your first marriage is about :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl: Indeed. My (current) wife & I have always said the first was to get all the mistakes out of the way. I play better bass now so that must be correct.

4 Likes

Hello everyone.

I bought my first ever bass guitar last week and my first guitar of any type in 30 years. I finally decided to learn bass after years of singing along to bass grooves in my favorite songs. Thank you for making me feel welcome here.

I’m 47 years old, an Australian expat permanently in the US and I live in the suburbs of Washington DC. I work in the automotive industry as an executive.

I’m looking forward to making great progress in my bass playing and musicianship.

12 Likes

Welcome @groover08. We’re a fairly eclectic lot in here so you’ll find plenty of diversity - even an Aussie living in America won’t tip the odd-ometer beyond a single digit.

One of the great things about these forums, as opposed to many (ok, most) other places to talk bass online is that we never bring politics or personal differences of view in so it doesn’t ever interfere with pure bass-related talk (though we often drift into not-specifically-bass areas).

Almost everybody here is either doing, has done, or is contemplating doing the course, so there is a wealth of experience that is very specifically relatable to your progress on it. There are a few folk who are way beyond the course too, and they add a world of advice and insight that is hard to match. The support in here is second to none.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @groover08, and wish you good luck . . . :slight_smile:

What kind of bass did you get?

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @groover08

3 Likes

Hello all!

My name is Claude, and Im a recovering… oh wait wrong group :slightly_smiling_face:

So I used to play bass in Highschool (oh about 30 yrs ago). I could only play a few songs as we didnt have internet back then so it was Vynil LPs and moving a needle over a record over and over to try and pick up the notes.

Graduated HS and went overseas (Zweibruken Germany…lovely place), then college in US, wife, kids, career… needless to say I have not played since HS. Last year for my 48th birthday my dad (67 yrs old retired Army and Police) who has played bass and guitar since he was 17 and is a gigging bass player suggested I try again. So I bought my first bass and practice Amp. I have been using another popular “teach yourself” music program as well as RockSmith 2014. I can play several songs now from start to finish (AC/DC, Sting, Cream, Motley Crue, Def Leppard)…but wanted to get into more of the mechanics and really LEARN.

I already own two basses (yes the addiction is REAL folks)… A Ibanez GSRM20 short scale (my first) and my newest addition as an early Xmas present from my wife a Yamaha TRBX-504. Love them both! I mean my basses and my wife…lol My wife first thought I was crazy to be buying an instrument and wanting to play. Accused me of having a midlife crisis…lol. But after hearing me play one night (I think it was Walking on the Moon by Sting) she bought me that second bass and said I was sounding good and practicing hard. She also said how she noticed after a hard day at work , I would come home and play for an hour and come out of my office calm and relaxed. I do find playing to be meditative and refuse to let it stress me out!

Found Josh’s videos on YouTube and went through several (and he is the reason I started playing some Jack Bruce and Cream) and REALLY like his teaching style. So bought his course today and am starting from Module 1 Lesson 1 and have already started correcting some things I wasnt doing correctly. Really looking forward to more!

Bassists I admire: Steve Harris ( Iron Maiden who I will be seeing in a small club in Jan playing with British Lion! Cant wait), Chris Squire (Yes), Jack Bruce (Cream) , John Paul Jones (Zepplin), Bootsy (for his simplicity yet great funk!), and many many others…

This forum looks like its filled with great folks, just lovin the groove here!

9 Likes

Welcome Groover! Good to see another late 40’s professional picking up the bass! so now I can tell my wife it ISN’T a MIDLIFE Crisis that is driving us :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you all for your kind welcome! I bought a new Yamaha BBP34, and a new Fender Rumble 200 amp. Might as well go big to start with!

10 Likes

Welcome! Excellent choices on the basses :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome! Another Yamaha, excellent :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, my @kwt7667! Maybe I should introduce myself to BassBot after all…

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @faamecanic . . . :slight_smile:

Sounds as if you’re off to a really great start. Good luck with the course and see you around the Forums!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome to the Yamaha and Rumble club. @howard how many Yamaha owners do we have now?

4 Likes

Never enough!

5 Likes

I have a feeling you are actually living with your bunkbed and a camping cooker inside the Yamaha factory in Chiba, @howard - just to be near all that gear :grin: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Ooh that reminds me, I should go hit the stores in Ochanomizu during the holidays.

5 Likes

Welcome @groover08! Glad you’re finally uncovering the bassist within… :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum and the course Claude @faamecanic! Congrats on the new Yamaha, those basses are great! And holy shit you get to see Steve Harris live! I’m jealous!

3 Likes

So pleased to meet you, @groover08! I can’t wait to hear what you think. Do keep us posted. We are curious around here! I just finished the course, so I am very excited for you. You will love it!

1 Like