Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I hadn’t realised it but that’s what I’m doing too. Maybe not with such commitment.

2 Likes

Hello community!

My name is Florian, I am 35 years old from Germany.

I bought a Squier Jazz Bass Beginner Set around 12, 13 years ago. Wasn’t able to afford bass lessons and got frustrated pretty quickly after trying to teach myself with the help of books and tabs from the internet.

When Fender came out with the Flea Bass a couple of years ago, I got the itch to get back to learning the bass. But career, family got in the way and my „vintage“ Squier Jazz Bass continued to gather dust…

So to cut things short: Stumbled across Josh on YouTube, liked his style and after watching a couple of free vids bought the B2B course and got back to practicing my bass. 30 lessons in. Struggled a bit with Billy Jean (I‘m getting there tho) and can’t wait to get back to learning some music theory in the next lessons.

Looking forward to becoming a part of the community and to „mastering“ my bass.

Cheers,
Florian

6 Likes

That’s how fleas work. :crazy_face:

Welcome @florian. Your story is all too familiar around here, so you are in good company for understanding bass buddies.

Yeah, that’s a bit of a right of passage and you’ll soon realise that there is a groan whenever “the song that shall not be named” is mentioned :shushing_face: but more like Macbeth is to actors than Voldemort is to wizards. You’ll soon be looking back at it with some variety of ‘affection’, and it’ll be a repeating theme for assessing how you’ve progressed.

There seems to have been a mini-boom in German speakers joining lately, so either @JoshFossgreen has broken into the European market or he holds some sort of appeal to a germanic audience. I’m surprised he hasn’t cracked the celtic/gaelic market yet.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard, @florian . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck in the course (and with “Billie Jean”) :wink:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

@gipsj I know what you mean! I want to run off with mine…:wink:

1 Like

@florian I think Billie Jean is B2B is like a hazing they do in clubs and secret societies!:eyes::smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome wishes - this board makes the course even more fun. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome to the “future” bass players haven - great background!

I’m only 25 lessons in after a year, trying to ramp things back up after an extremely busy year between work and life in general. 2020 commitment: Get back in the groove!

6 Likes

Sounds familiar: [insert current year here]

4 Likes

Made a few drive-by posts so about time I introduced myself!

I always had a passion for music but for a long time was convinced I just didn’t have what it took to learn an instrument, tried learning guitar multiple times but it never stuck. Always wanted to try bass and bought one second-hand a couple of years ago & took some lessons but got distracted by a career change and life stuff.

Now that I’m older and a little wiser I realize that it’s much easier to learn when your general sense of well-being is in a good place. And learning bass makes you feel good so it’s a virtuous circle!

Recently I was thinking of going back to my bass teacher but was kinda embarrassed to not have made any progress in over a year. So I treated myself to a new bass, took a chance on Josh’s course and I’ve made more progress in the last few months than ever really. And that’s despite becoming a parent! Seeing the baby learning to coordinate his fingers is kinda funny because it’s like we’re going through a similar struggle! It’s also inspiring and motivating because I want him to learn music and show him that you can always learn new things.

I’m having a great time!

9 Likes

Hello all!

My name is Diogo, I am a 26 years old from Portugal.

I have always loved this thing we call sound, in all it can be, from the simplest to the most complex, although, I know nothing about music.
After some time with the itch about learning an instrument, and after a lot of ponderation, i choose THE BASS.

I started looking for ways to learn it, not just some google stuff or random videos, I was actually looking for something with a well rounded structure, not to complicated but also not too simple. Also, I was looking for the right person who would, in some way, become my tutor. :thinking:

The rest is history… Lets just say i could not be more happy with the B2B and of course, @JoshFossgreen is a … lets say… one of those rare species of human being, cant really explain it.

I bought my first Bass, nothing special, just a standart Harley Benton JB-20, left handed (because its just feels natural to me to pick it up and play it this way, i’am lefty on most things) and started the course in the 30/12/2019.

Been practicing every day since i started and i’am now on the Billie Jim lesson, still getting the hang of it. :smile:
My biggest challenge so far is to control the fretting hand. Craaaaaaazy fretting fingers, specially the ring, pinky and middle when pinky is in action (they dont know more, been doing basically nothing their whole lifes), but i guess thats a part of the journey.

I think my Bass could have a better setup, as it has some annoying buzzes, but as i dont know how to pet it that well yet, I dont want to blame him :sweat_smile:

Looking forward to the future!
Cheers
Diogo “The South Paw” :joy:

13 Likes

Welcome! So excited for you to be on the quest. Yes, it’s remarkable the little muscles that get tired at first. Carry on,:sunglasses:

2 Likes

You certainly have the right attitude! Welcome, and keep us informed. Congrats on Billie Jean. :wink:

5 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Diogo . . . :slight_smile:

Sounds as if you’re off to a good start! I also saw the pic of your Harley Benton you posted in the other thread and hope you enjoy the course.

Good luck with “Billie Jean” and we’ll see you around the Forums!

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Welcome Diogo! If you want to learn songs I ran into these guys on YouTube. Great lessons for songs…just wish I spoke Portuguese! But the music breaks most language barriers!

Learned to play Susnshine of your love in a day from these guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6KLcp5iWlw&list=LLBQIqREwMgdpOqOAk7YAN7Q&index=4&t=0s

5 Likes

Welcome from one Lefty to another!

5 Likes

Hey @faamecanic, that is great, I will definitely check them out in the future. “Obrigado” :+1:

Hello @forrestgibb and thank you for the welcomes, thought I was the only one here :wave::wave:

4 Likes

I have that one saved on my playlist, @faamecanic . . . :slight_smile:

Very nicely done and easy to follow! . . . Thanks for your post :+1:

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

My suggestion finger around with both. The PJ and J have a smaller neck I find a bit easier to move the grubbys around. I’m old and hard of hearing so I’m easy to please in the audio dept;_)
Welcome and have fun!
Dennis

3 Likes

Welcome to the course and the forum @florian! Glad you’re back on the bass!

Welcome @infra! I’m happy you’re pursuing your musical passion! You definitely have what it takes! (desire + putting in some time + getting instruction = easy!)

Welcome @Diogo! Glad you’re enjoying the course and ‘petting’ your bass, I’m gonna steal that term, I like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Probably thanks to me witholding my terrible Schwarzenegger impression (who is Austrian, yes I know :slight_smile:)

It’s because I gave my kilt away…

5 Likes