Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome @anon83302053 . You will like it here. Friendliest forum on the webz.

6 Likes

Welcome, @anon83302053. Glad you’re here. You’ve come to the right place. Strap up and enjoy!

7 Likes

Welcome @anon83302053

I’m also rather new but everyone has been super welcoming so grab a chair and spend some time! Great to have you.

8 Likes

Welcome @anon83302053, glad you joined us.

7 Likes

Great to have you here @anon83302053

You’re painted basses are awesome.

7 Likes

Welcome to the family @anon83302053

8 Likes

Welcome @anon83302053 ! Really glad you are here with us! And some bleeding edge bass fills in the polka might sound deadly good…I’m just saying.

7 Likes

Y’know. Just a full break and you could come in with some full on 70’s slap funk for a bar or three, make the old folks shake it just a little.

7 Likes

Welcome @anon83302053

7 Likes

Welcome

8 Likes

I can set and practice for at least 3hrs. Never get tired of it. and never want to put it down then. Josh has taught me so much, I’m picking out the notes just not at getting the fill in notes yet. Working with Triads major scale and minor scale has tremendously helped me

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @anon83302053 !

7 Likes

Hey all!

I’m Scott and I’ve been posting a bit here in the forums already. I’m based in the Atlanta area and in my early 40s. I figured it’s time for a proper intro if you will. Strap in cause this might be a long one…

A few months ago, I had never really done much with a bass guitar. In my college years, when a few friends of mine had a band, I would occasionally pick up my buddie’s bass and play Another One Bites the Dust pretty poorly and then put the bass back down. I was more of a guitar player (not a great one) who loved trying to learn Metallica riffs. After a while I just didn’t pick up the guitar very much so I decided to gift it to a friend.

Fast forward about 15 or so years and I’ve been putting all my energy into pizza-making and pizza related things. Why you ask? So…I’m a pizza fan. Not just a fan but a fanatic when it comes to pizza-making and enjoyment (read: eating). I was live-streaming my pizza makking process regularly on Twitch.tv and having quite the blast doing it. All this on top of a regular 9-5 job and occasional pop-ups in my neighborhood offering pizza to locals. Here is a shot of one of my creations. (Sorry if it’s off topic and might induce hunger) :pizza:

So, I was juggling quite a few things and the when the burnout hit - it hit HARD. While I’ve had some really great times in the past few years doing that - I didn’t really see it transitioning into a real business so I wanted to try something new.

I was already watching some musicians on Twitch (there aren’t many bass players I’ve recently discovered) and some music related YouTube channels as well. Then I stumbled on Davie504 and while he puts on a silly act for the likes, I found myself having a fun time with his Bass Around The World Videos. The one where he features bassists from Japan really hooked me and I was replaying it frequently.

I sought out a bass and ended up with a used Ibanez that I didn’t hold onto for very long before trading for a Fender Player in Buttercream. Not the best pic, but it shows me and the Fender bass. :smiley:

Now that it’s had a setup, I’ve been enjoying playing it that much more. I’ve also aquired a fretless Jazz bass that is going to be a project bass since the nut was trashed and it looks like part of the neck got eaten by roundwounds in the past.

I’m just about done with the B2B course. I went for the Hardcore 30 day plan and did go hardcore for about 28 days and then kinda stalled in the final lessons. So I’m at 105/107 right now. I’m not sure if it was a lack of excitement in finishing the lessons or what. Like…I didn’t want them to end!

While the slap lessons were some of my most anticipated, they also gave me the most struggle. I’ve already somewhat learned the “Thumb down” style and it’s not helping me as I’m constantly hitting extra strings. So…I have to unlearn that. I do hope Josh does a follow up course soon.

Additionally, Billie Jean also gave me so much trouble and I never got the fast workout down. I think all-in-all there were about 9 lessons I marked as ones I definitely wanted to return to. I’ll probably attack those first and then restart the course with the fretless bass.

@JoshFossgreen is an excellent teacher and I loved every minute of the lessons. The pacing was excellent and even the free YouTube lessons are very valuable to newcomers. His wit and the other pop culture references that are worked in make him by-far the BEST bass teach in my book.

Okay, I’ve rambled on long enough. Thanks to all who have already welcomed me in one way or another and I’ll see you guys around the forum!

22 Likes

Cool. It’s great to finally put a face to the cheese-pizza.

8 Likes

Great to have you here @cheeze_pizza
Love the basses.

7 Likes

Good idea to put a face to your intro post. I should have done that if for no other reason than to show why I wanted my basses designs to draw people’s attention away from my looks. :laughing:

10 Likes

Getting some Mickey Rourke vibes from this picture @anon83302053 :smiley:

8 Likes

Welcome @cheeze_pizza

8 Likes

Well, it appears I’ve missed another passel of new Bass Buzzers. Welcome everyone!

8 Likes

Welcome to the Insanity Express! All aboard!

10 Likes