Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome to the subterranean abyss @ronnielyons

7 Likes

You are welcome @ronnielyons, glad you joined us :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

Great to have you here @ronnielyons !!

Spent a lot of time out your way working in the Darigold plants in the early 90s.

You’ve got a great bass, enjoy it here!

6 Likes

Welcome @ronnielyons

7 Likes

Welcome @ronnielyons . It’s always nice to see you youngsters here.

p.s. I went through the B2B course playing a Yammie BB735, which is the 5 string version of your bass.

8 Likes

Welcome @ronnielyons !

5 Likes

Welcome all new Bassists to join our group.

6 Likes

Hi all, I made my first bass in 1970 but without any teachers around, I went back to banjo and guitar. I’ve been playing Anglo concertina since 1995 for Irish Traditional music, with a truly great teacher. I started making them around the same time and have made and sold 100 since 2000. Anglo Concertinas are wonderful instruments, but I really missed the strong rhythms bass players get to live in. Most of my concertinas are about the same range as a violin from C3 to G6, about as far from bass as you can get. I discovered the remarkable bassists posting on YouTube and was completely caught by their playing. Felt like water to a man dying of thirst.
I’ve been teaching Irish Concertina for many years and really appreciate the thought and knowledge of how people learn in Josh’s development of this course. Even though I am no stranger to playing music, I know how important it is to get off to a good start and not have to unlearn bad habits. As a past Aikido instructor, I really appreciate “beginner’s mind” and am glad to be able to start at square one.

17 Likes

Welcome, @danatina. Very glad you’re here. Your musical experience as a player and builder is very cool! As is your martial arts mindset. Indeed, everyone should adopt the philosophy of a beginner’s mind, because the more we learn, the more we discover how much there is yet to learn. And Josh is an exceptional teacher to learn from. Enjoy the journey!

5 Likes

Welcome @danatina

6 Likes

Great to have you here @danatina

6 Likes

Welcome @danatina . Best forum on the internet

6 Likes

Welcome @danatina

6 Likes

Welcome @danatina !

5 Likes

Welcome @danatina, glad you joined us

7 Likes

Welcome @ronnielyons ! Really glad you are here with us!

6 Likes

Welcome @danatina ! Really glad you are here with us.

6 Likes

Welcome @danatina, Enjoy your journey

7 Likes

Aloha from Hilo, Hawaii!

I’ve been lurking around the forums since I started my b2b course about 3 weeks ago. Seems like a super friendly and supportive group!

It’s kind of a cool story how I ended up here. I dabbled with the bass in high school, but never took lessons or took it very seriously, just tried to learn songs that were too hard for me and eventually lost interest.

Fast forward like 20 years and I’m 37 now… I am a garbage truck driver and one rainy day I saw a guitar leaned up against a garbage can on my route. I went to go check it out and my jaw dropped because it was a MIM Fender Strat, kind of banged up and dirty but nothing broken. I took it home and gave it the TLC it deserved, fully disassembled it and put new strings, cleaned the bridge saddles and neck…But I had no amp. Took it to the local guitar store and amazingly it sounded perfect. The guitar store owner was so impressed with the find he donated a small older Ibanez practice amp to the cause. I took my new guitar and amp home and started with justinguitar lessons.

I played my strat for about 2 weeks, learned some chords, but realized it felt like I was wearing someone else’s shoes. I am NOT a guitar player. Ive always loved bass. I started watching bass YouTube vids and playing bass parts on the guitar… That really got my juices flowing. After watching a few different people on YouTube I found @JoshFossgreen, and I was hooked. I LOVE his teaching style, things started to really make sense.

Fast forward to my birthday this year and I finally put the strat down and got myself a proper Yamaha BB234. I love this bass, it sounds and feels great. Still saving for that rumble 40 though.

I’m on module 11 of b2b and loving it so much. Papa’s got a brand new bag really gave me a hard time but I am finally getting it.

Can’t wait to get to the slap section.

I’m looking forward to talking more to everyone!

19 Likes

welcome @Mr_Daikon! What a great story. The things people put out for trash hey?! I’m three weeks in as well on module 11, and the Papa’s bag lesson defeated me big time. I’m about to start the CAKE lesson now but procrastinating by reading the forum :smiley:

8 Likes