Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

OK, I’ll be the one to ask; what’s one of those? (if it’s not a rude question). I think I’ve got a good vocabulary but that’s got me stumped. I’m just back from the doctor so I’ve got it in my head that it’s a condition, but that’s just me obsessing about medical matters.

2 Likes

Welcome to this week’s initiates. Is the first week in Feb a busy one for birthdays or something? Glad to have even more diversity join the friendly sub-culture-in-the-making that is B2B.

2 Likes

Corollary = interpretation.

So I’m the male interpretation of a Krazy Kat Lady. Much to the delight of my wife (not). :wink:

3 Likes

I didn’t dare to ask, lest I show my ignorance (or something along those lines) :grin:

3 Likes

Welcome @peterhuppertz!

2 Likes

Welcome @ericabulman!

2 Likes

Aha, as simple as that. Doh! I’ve learned a new word today.

1 Like

This will be long (sorry), but I think it’s a cool story. When I was a kid, my mother taught me to read music and play piano. She was convinced I had a gift, I was not so sure. She pushed me to take lessons and I continually declined. At 14 I got Stanley Clarke’s Red Album and I ran to my mom and said I’m ready for lessons I want to play the bass. She discouraged me and then incorporated my brother, who is a bass player, to convince me not to play the bass but to play piano. His advice was you don’t just want to be the guy in the back going dum-dum-dum-dum. Of course my response was Stanley Clarke ain’t sitting in back of anybody. I half-assed my way through a couple of years of piano lessons and a band or 2, then dropped it. At 30 I tried again, but then my first baby came and that ended. I am very fortunate to be able to retire later this year and I’ve been thinking what do I want to do what’s my real passion. So last week I went into the guitar store, bought a bass and signed up for lessons. Instructor not available till March 1, so I found this site. Really digging Josh’s style and the teaching methods here. Through module 2 and loving every minute.

14 Likes

Welcome, @jazmo1999 . . . :slight_smile:

Glad you made it to retirement and good luck with the course!

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

Welcome @jazmo1999, I really enjoyed your story :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome @jazmo1999. I love reading about people’s journey to bassdom. If you read through previous introductions you’ll see that yours wasn’t all that long - although many of us start off with a quick sentence then expand over subsequent posts. It’s all good.

I’m always jealous of people who learned an instrument when they were young, even if it isn’t the one they want to play later. The skills are transferrable, and those who learned to read music have an extra string to their bow which will help with much of the understanding - but even they have to put the practical time in, just like us tab-readers. :wink:

I’m also a Stanley Clarke fan from way back, and he was influential in some less obvious ways.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome guys. Pete I’m the last of 7 kids and was raised on some great music. I always knew I loved the bass (everyone that hears my stereo says my bass is too heavy, I tell them thy listen to tin) In the mid-70s my brother got into fusion, Return to Forever, Billy Cobham, Weather Report etc, but that Stanley Clarke Red Album with Lopsy Lu into Power at the end of Side 1 changed me. Then I saw him live and I say to this day there are things Stanley can do that I never will because his fingers are like 12 inches long and mine are short. But I love music and really looking forward to this

2 Likes

I like to think that short fingers can be more nimble and quick, so have their own advantages. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Welcome to @ericabulman, @Timberwolf1771, @jazmo1999 !!! WOW…thats a lot of new faces!!

3 Likes

I think the pinky/ring finger is Josh’s sadistic way to torture us :slight_smile:

As you probably already know… you can ask 3 musicians how to play something, and chances are you will get 3 different ways to do it!

My other song I have been working on outside of lessons is Sunshine of Your Love by The Cream. I must have seen at least 7 different ways to play this!

3 Likes

Thank you @faamecanic.

2 Likes

Thanks, Jerry!

2 Likes

Thanks, friend!

2 Likes

Thanks, Nicolas!

1 Like

Awesome to see all the new faces.

2 Likes