Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I think the pinky/ring finger is Josh’s sadistic way to torture us :slight_smile:

:rofl:

I, for one, am actually quite enjoying the way my pinky is facing the challenge from all this practicing.

And yes, I know about taking the different routes across the fretboard. So, when I resumed playing, I thought, why not follow a consistent methodology, as well as consistent exercises, and see how that works?
Up to now, it’s working better than I had expected.

4 Likes

Hot News: I’ve ordered the course!

I went for the DVD version in the end. Really excited and raring to get going.

Dum, dum, dum, dum, Dum, dum, dum, dum…

6 Likes

So you’ll be starting the online version today?

1 Like

I’m afraid my bass and amp are still in the post. They’re also supposed to be a birthday present and that’s four weeks away. I may have to work on the boss to see if I can get early access :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Welcome @jazmo1999!

2 Likes

You can always get a head start on music theory - you don’t really need to play for that and it’ll pay off in the long run.

4 Likes

Good point. I have been doing a little studying lately and I’m finally starting to make a breakthrough. My first eureka moment: it’s not the notes that matters, it’s the intervals.

4 Likes

Welcome @peterhuppertz! I think you’ll gradually become un-convinced about your progress halting as you kick ass through the course. Keep me posted though!

Welcome @ericabulman! I think bass is a little easier to wrangle than banjo, which I can say as a decent bassist and a very poor banjoist. (that isn’t a word, but why not?)

4 Likes

Welcome @Timberwolf1771! Funny, we had another new member @Timberfist very recently. Good month for timber on BassBuzz! Which I guess is good since our basses are (mostly) made of wood…

Regrettably, since I moved to Oakland a year and a few months ago I haven’t been in the martial arts game. I should find a place nearby to train… but that would require some free time that I don’t currently have. Really miss that practice though!

And welcome @jazmo1999, glad you’re enjoying the course!

4 Likes

Word! Plus, while I enjoyed trying to learn the banjo, it didn’t feel the same. When I’m taking these lessons, I kind of feel the bass through my body. Like my whole body is playing. You know what I mean? I get kind of “trancy” (that’s a word if banjoist is) and I don’t want the repetitions to stop, hahahah.

3 Likes

Sounds like you are a natural rhythm machine! Repetition happens a lot in bass playing, but that’s something I enjoy too. You just fall into a groove. Not unusual for me to jam two or three notes for 30 min. Let the lead guitarist do all the fancy stuff. The drummer and bassist (and rhythm guitar to some degree) provide the backbone. Many describe the bass as providing the heartbeat of the song.

5 Likes

I’m about to hit Billie Jean today*, which I have been told is some rite of passage… so I guess I’ll find that out.

*) I was supposed to get there yesterday, but instead I decided to read up on, and then work on, the setup of my basses… with better-than-expected results. The jazz bass now plays nicer than I can remember from my 1974 Fender Precision – the action is just as low, and the neck is a bit narrower at the higher notes. And the fretless growls like Gary Willis! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Some years ago, I read a web comic made by a musician, in which a girl with some autistic traits and severe OCD picked up drumming, saying “it’s like counting with your whole body!”

3 Likes

Good luck with it, @peterhuppertz . . . :wink:

2 Likes

Greetings all.
Josh, I really enjoy your lessons. I am a retired ol’ guy and after 25 years of not playing; I finally have the time to get back into it again.
I have been jamming’ with a few fellow retirees, and trying to get my Mojo back.

11 Likes

Welcoome @BernieOldstyle!
From one old guy to another…

1 Like

Welcome @BernieOldstyle. You’re in good company around here, but there’s no distinction of age groups and we’re all playing the same songs. You’ll enjoy the course. Where are you up to?

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Kirk. I’m another old guy who always loved bass and now have time to learn. Maybe I may play in a church group someday (I played drums in one some time ago.) But mostly I want to learn. I found Josh’s course and that was the only excuse I needed to buy my first bass. I’ll post pics on the other thread one day. Good to meet you all!:grin:

10 Likes

Hello forum,
My name is Andy and after 38 years I have decided to pick the bass and play again.
I’m not a true beginner for I played for a year in 8th grade (yes, do the math).
But after all this time I realized I forgot a lot, or never learned it in the first place.
Quick summary of me: married, three kids (one of whom plays guitar), 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 bass.
Just got a nice used squier jazz bass plus amp for christmas. Plays a lot nicer then the 1981 fender musicmaster of my youth, or at least that’s what I remember.
Into the second third of online lessons with bassbuzz and so far so good. I’m on the 3 month plan with the hopes of joining a jam session with some friends by April. Lots of need for bass players by the way. Another guitarist? Not so much.
I’m not a big social media/forum poster so if you reply or message me, be patient.
Happy to join this support group :wink:

10 Likes

That’s an awesome way of looking at it. The heartbeat. Like that!

3 Likes