Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome @Theron!

2 Likes

Hi Theron, welcome!
I’m wondering… what triggered you to get that P-bass five years ago…?

Cheers!

2 Likes

So, I’m almost 43 and I have always wanted to play the guitar. I played the saxophone in high school but nothing since. I decided if I didn’t start now, I probably never would. So I started doing my research and I quickly learned I loved the sound of the bass guitar and needed to play that! So, I decided to jump in, order a bunch of gear (thankfully my wife loves me) and get started. I have zero experience so I decided B2B is definitely for me! I actually started today, finished M1L3 on fast and already feel like a badass. lol Josh is a great teacher and I’m having fun! I can’t wait to practice more! To start out, I got a Schecter stilleto extreme 4 (since I had to order online and can’t play anyway, I went with looks and reviews) and a fender rumble 40. So, I hope to see y’all around in here.

9 Likes

I’d made a few attempts at learning guitar through the years (never remotely successfully), and realized that the really good bass lines in songs I like stick in my head way more than the guitar parts tend to. So I decided to hop on craigslist on a whim to see what was available, and there was this MIM P Bass being sold for ridiculously cheap. Couldn’t pass it up. It was clearly a sign haha

7 Likes

I played violin throughout school and after I graduated, hadn’t touched it since. I first picked up a bass when I was 15 and really just messed around with it off and on, mostly off. Three years ago (in my mid-30s now) I bought a nice American Fender Jazz bass (and an excellent Orange practice amp) because I really wanted to learn Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I learned that song, as well as many others. I signed up for these lessons because I need help with technique and I only know how to read tabs. I also have trouble plucking with my fingers and just use my thumb and sometimes a pick. So here I am, I can’t wait to learn and now I’m going to share a picture of my bass!

10 Likes

Welcome in our cesspool of ambition and aspiration! I have to admit I’m a bit jealous about that Orange amp, for more than one reason…

You’ve got an interesting ride ahead of you. It will be a bit bumpy at times - you may get to curse someone who shares your last name. :joy:
But there are no insurmountable obstacles as far as I can see (famous last words…)

4 Likes

Welcome @Rebecca.Jean

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Rebecca.Jean . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck in the course!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Welcome @Rebecca.Jean!

2 Likes

Welcome @Rebecca.Jean. It’s always nice to see female bass players in the forum.

WARNING: Be prepared for lots of playful barbs about the “Jean” part of your name. Billie Jean is somewhat of a legend on this forum.

3 Likes

Thanks. I know how to play Billie Jean. Ouch. :laughing:

5 Likes

So whaddaya doin’ here then? :wink:

2 Likes

I know how to play a lot of songs but don’t know any of the notes. I play by ear sort of and play along to tabs. I also need help with technique. I figured I might as well start at the beginning!

6 Likes

@Rebecca.Jean you’re in the right place :smile_cat:

3 Likes

I was kidding. :wink:

Billie Jean, as taught by Josh in Module Four, lesson six, is a b1tch.
If I play it on the E- and A-string, I have it down to a tee, no problems. I can keep that up forever and a day.
If I play it on the A- and D-string, I wear out all the muscles in my lower arm, and as a result, I fornicate everything up if I don’t watch out.
In these Bassbuzz circles, it is considered a Rite of Passage. :laughing:

6 Likes

And here’s me thinking you weren’t a cat person! :grin:

@Rebecca.Jean when you conquer Billie Jean, you get to engrave your name on the statue of Billie Jean that’s located on the back lawn of the B2B campus, right behind the student lounge.

6 Likes

Look for the statue with the bullet holes.

4 Likes

@peterhuppertz I don’t particularly like cats as pets, but my online screen name has been PamPurrs since back in the early AOL days (1980s), so I sometimes make cat references.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @VikingT. I think you got a good gear and are ready to kick some bASS🙂

3 Likes