Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Thank you very much JerryP

3 Likes

Hello and thank you very much PamPurrs

2 Likes

@peterhuppertz Ahhhhhh yep, so awesome! Good stuff.

1 Like

Hello everyone and all and bass buzz including Jason ^_^. After 10 yea

4 Likes

Welcome! Looks like your post was cut off when yout hit SEND?

2 Likes

Aloha Everyone,

I am excited to be here! I am a techie-type urban Hawaiian, formerly of Hilo, now living in Northern California wine-country in Santa Rosa.

Besides my day job at the Santa Rosa Junior College, I also teach Hawaiian language and culture on the continent and Hawaiʻi.

I came to music later in life learning the ʻukulele to accompany hula groups and am mostly self-taught. I am a strummer, so mainly play six and eight-string ʻukulele, though I do have lots of 4-string.

So many ʻukulele players and not enough bass players. I have always been enamored with the coolness of bass players.

I took a beginner lesson, but the alphabet soup made my head spin. Then I found Josh on YouTube and wanted to learn from him. I made the commitment to learn by recently picking up an entry level Kala U-Bass–and now this course.

I look forward to this journey with you all and the BassBuzz team.

Mahalo, Liko
Pronouns: He, Him, His

10 Likes

Welcome!
If you’ve been playing for the last twelve years, you might just find yourself shedding mistakes as you whisk through the workouts.
And (not unlike yours truly), the theory covered might whet your appetite for more in-depth coverage.

Have fun! :blush:

2 Likes

Apparently, somebody unloaded a bus of new members recently… :rofl:

3 Likes

Welcome, @liko.puha!
… yes, Josh has this way of luring you into the alphabet soup without making it seem intimidating, doesn’t he?
I will now have to google that Kala U-bass…

2 Likes

Thank you, @peterhuppertz!

Here is a link on Sweetwater.

Take care, Liko

2 Likes

Hello I’m a bit older than most. I have always owned a bass guitar but never learned to play. I always new it would be something I would do once I headed for retirement which will be in the next couple years. I love all kinds of music but when it comes to what I want to play I would say mainly blues and old school (60s-80s) music.

5 Likes

Hey, welcome!
If you retire in the next few years, you’ll find a lot of people around your age here! :grin:

Peter (who is 62 himself)

3 Likes

E komo mai @liko.puha!

2 Likes

Welcome @crippledring!

2 Likes

No sweat, @Courtney_Vtown! Sometimes it is in fact easier to combine several replies and just making sure to include the intended recipients by @-ing their handles :smile:

I had no idea the system “quarantines” you when you are too chatty… there seem to be other rather “prolific” posters in here :thinking: Is that how you treat people, @Bassbot fortune ?

3 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @Bassbot display help.

Welcome @WhiskeyBlender. That sounds like a fine career, unfortunately I am allergic to whiskey, well, all booze, but I sure can appreciate it from a far.

Welcome to the two other new people, @liko.puha and @crippledring

3 Likes

Welcome @liko.puha! I also recently joined and live a bit to the south in Alameda. Santa Rosa was a frequent stomping ground when I lived in Lake County and we still drive through often on our way to Mendocino or Healdsburg. We love that farm stand off the 101 on River Road and the Healdsburg farmer’s market.
Take Care,
Dave

2 Likes

@liko.puha

Welcome to the club! I hope you enjoy the course - it’s really good fun and you’ll learn tons! Enjoy :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi All,
I’m in the middle of module 4 and, like most, loving the course. This is truly brilliant as an education technique and so much better than anything else I’ve seen. I live in the SF Bay Area with my domestic partner girlfriend and am 51 years old. We were working on our long term retirement plan and my goals include spending my days of leisure playing music at pizza parlors along the California coast, so I decided to get on it and start the path to badass. My day job is as an audio video systems engineer for permanent installation. I spent most of my career with Walt Disney Imagineering designing systems for theme park attractions and live entertainment venues in the parks. These days I’m more often involved in corporate, government and education applications as I gave up the international travel when my kids were young. I played baritone horn in the high school band and then studied engineering and theatre sound design in college. I’ve always had a good ear and a strong affinity toward music and sound, but never found the ability to actually play an instrument myself in the last 30 years. I’ve had to tell people that I collect instruments that I don’t play. I took a couple years of harp lessons that I completely enjoyed and did some of the foundations course on Pianote.com, but kind of got bogged down in the middle and didn’t keep going. The bass feels so good to me and I’m working through a lesson every 1-2 days and so enthusiastic about actually making progress and learning to play. It’s been so motivating that I’ve even sat down at the Piano and started to build up my weak scales, which interestingly is improving now too better than it ever has before. After a career of making spaces where people make sound, this is a dream come true for me to actually be one of the people making sound. I am so excited! My music interests are broad as I love all kinds of sounds and includes, jazz standards, blues, motown, classic rock, 80s, soundscapes, trippy trance. I’ve been listening to the videos people posted about their favorite bass players and I don’t think I can find one I don’t like. I had posted a pic of my Ibanez SRMS-805 and I have a Fender Performer P(/J) arriving this week. The girlfriend is my biggest fan and is constantly asking me to play more. Thanks for creating and maintaining such a cool space here. I’m having a great time reading all the old threads.

10 Likes