Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Mahalo @DaveT! I used to live in Alameda when I was younger in off-base housing, just across from the base. Dad was Navy.

I do not live too far from the awesome farm stand on River Road.

Great to meet you. --Liko

5 Likes

@WhiskeyBlender welcome aboard, it is a great folk on here super supportive.
Nothing better than getting your dream under way :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

2 Likes

@liko.puha welcome aboard, I love the Ubass very unique sound. :slight_smile: :guitar:

4 Likes

@DaveT welcome aboard Dave, did you say Pizza? Drool. And Bass, you are in the right place. :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

3 Likes

Oh man!
So many new people. Welcome everyone who joined recently.

Sorry for the late welcome. After learning a bit of music theory I was kind of stuck writing a song. Couldn’t do/think of anything else and ideas coming from everywhere. It’s been a long time since I’ve done something creative and it feels great.

I really wouldn’t have started without the help and encouragement from here so it’s needless to say I like it here and think the community is great.

7 Likes

Thank you Quadfather :grinning:

5 Likes

Welcome @Gray06 , @lrosenblatt8, @MikeyD, @notaenthusiast, @rae_kristine, @Courtney_Vtown, @Mac, @JVagiar, @WhiskeyBlender, @crippledring, @liko.puha, @thedarkknight5150, @DaveT, and anyone else I missed!

Forgive me for the mass welcome, but I’m glad you’re all here on our friendly forum! :family_man_woman_girl_boy:

9 Likes

Welcome @DaveT, good to see ore CA people.
I am just several counties south of you, but still same state. I don’t live too far from Disney Land however.:+1:t2:

4 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Jenny, 26, from Toronto, Canada. I’ve been playing music since I was little, mainly trumpet and tenor saxophone in jazz bands and orchestras throughout school. I learned guitar and piano on my own which was really fun and enough to get me to be able to play the chords/tabs of my favorite songs (my favorite genres are pop, rock, edm, reggae and r&b) but I would still say I have a long way to go before I’d consider myself an expert.

My journey with bass started very recently, when I showed up to a local jam in Toronto a couple months ago. Believe it or not, three guitarists (including myself) showed up and not a single bassist. Thankfully the drummer had brought their bass to the jam for anyone to play, so I picked it up and immediately fell in love. In the back of my mind I’d been curious about bass for a while and now I think I’m actually starting to enjoy it more than guitar :joy:.

Since the jams, I bought my own Fender P bass to play and learn on. I figured with all this time at home, I might as well dive into the music theory and bass playing techniques. I knew that Josh would be a great instructor for me since his teaching style is so friendly and laidback. Currently I’m on Module 6, doing the 3-month fast track, and loving the course.

Excited to meet all of you!

15 Likes

@jenny20 welcom aboard Jenny, think Carole Kaye one of the top session bassist she was a guitar player like yourself. Then she also picked up a bass and as they say “the rest is history” look forward to your posts. :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

Welcome @jenny20!

4 Likes

Thanks! Just looked up Carol Kaye, I can’t believe I haven’t heard of her before!

5 Likes

Welcome Jenny. You will love the B2B course and our forum.

4 Likes

The story is, she showed up at the studio with her guitar, but the bass player was a no-show. So they asked Carol if she would fill in on bass, and she did it with flair. She still uses a pick to this day.

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome oh bass master :smiley:
Started your lessons 2 days ago and can’t put my bass down!
Just about to start lesson 26 and I’m lovin’ it

4 Likes

Wait! What? This is a thing? Okay, I have a new goal. :grinning: :+1:

7 Likes

I love this! It is the birth-story of so many bassists - myself included. Went to my friend’s house in 7th grade to hang out, because we both played guitar. I got there, he said “I already play guitar. You’re on bass.” Handed me a bass, and there you go.

Welcome to the forum!

8 Likes

Hello everyone and all and bass buzz including Jason :slight_smile: ; confined greetings from the south west of France. My left hand wedding ring would not fold properly, so to explain my (stupid) login (hello Sigmund, is this couch on sales?). Also thank you to Peterhuppertz for notifying me of my rocket, truncated post. I was thinking of saying something different from bass addiction, merely because it started 60 years ago. I met John Coltrane quartet at the age of 16. Late McCoy Tyner (listen to Joony Booth in Making out from the CD Atlantis) popped from the wings of the Olympia theater asking me “hey man, where’s the loo?”. I did not know what a loo was so, I shakingly replied : “I don’t know”. After the concert, I was given the opportunity (another story) to meet the musicians and directly went to talk to Jimy Garrison. At that time, not many bass players would play metal strings on a double bass. John Coltrane was standing on the left . I turned my head over to his beaming face but just couldn’t face it, nor say hello. Jimmy Garrison replied : yes better sound :-). I have other memories of this Olympia lodge. Anyway, I’ve been playing bass for the last 10 years. I retired in 2010 thinking that I’d had enough translating technical stuff. I bought myself a Fender Marcus Miller from French site zikinf. Marcus signed it…I think it helped. I discovered Josh’s site very recently. His pedagogy, sense of humor and musical taste and orientations are the best cocktail for whoever wishes to expand one’s knowledge and approach to music. In 10 years, I played six times with a drummer, André, a yondan judo. I hope I can do my thing on stage someday. Currently, I listen to “Turn around”, U-Turn around and Holly-wuud from Miles Davis On the Corner complete sessions. Even though Miles music is full, there’s always a little space for a musician to feel good and fill in. It also feels good to have someone to write/talk to. You people at bass buzz stay healthy and safe. Christian

12 Likes

Hi T_dub, thank you for your welcome. I have to prepare a nice post for WhiskeyBlender, hoping she gets rid of this allergy. Whether peaty, salty or fruity dominant, Speyside, Highlands or Lowlands, single malt whiskies are really different. The magic of Islay and Scotland in general make whisky a different world. Note : as a Surge On General :star_struck:, the afore words do not constitute a recommandation to drink alcohol. Personally, I recommand Jose Cuervo 1800, the gold one :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ah, thanks for the concern, and I wholeheartedly agree, whiskey, all whiskey, decent quality and above, are great, I like them a lot. I also grew up on Jose Cuervo, and way, way, way back in high school, I was sometimes nicknamed “Tequila T Dub”
The allergy is not the kind you are thinking of, in the usual medical sense, it’s the kind where I can’t stop drinking, nor can I control what I will do, and what other things I will put in my system after the first drink. It never ends well, and I have learned, after a lifetime of trying to control it like most normal people can, that I can not and will not ever be able to. The only cure known to man is abstinence, total and complete…

But it’s ok, In my lifetime, I have drank enough a Whiskey and every other type of alcohol, and other things, for about 100 people, who will live a normal life, dying at a nice elderly age of natural causes. I am hardly missing out on anything. :wink::wink::wink:
But again,TYVM for the concern.

3 Likes