Introduce Yourself! (2023)

Welcome @LilGrimmy !

7 Likes

Belated welcome, @Poetik1! That’s a great backstory. Enjoy the Buzz!

8 Likes

Welcome to all new BBuzzers:

@ricwestga Beautiful bass. Keeper spouse. You’re off to a great start.

@tommydogg Welcome to the best bass course in the world to take advantage of those basses. Have a blast.

@coreyr What a great interest to share with your daughter. You’re going to enjoy the course.

@nebel I noodled at guitar for 40 years and never learned more than a couple of dozen chords. Starting around 2021, I began noodling on a borrowed bass, and was heading in the same direction. I discovered Josh’s free YouTube videos late last year and was motivated to take his B2B course earlier this year. Best money I’ve ever spent. Have fun.

@lilgrimmy As a certified grandfather (:grinning:), I can assure you that you are doing one of the best possible things you could do to honor his memory. Knock it out of the park!

10 Likes

Welcome @LilGrimmy
Sorry for your loss

8 Likes

Welcome @LilGrimmy . really glad you are here. Sorry to hear about your loss, i hope you find some light soon.

9 Likes

Hey all new Buzzers, we do a monthly zoom hang where we just meet up and talk about bass or whatever, very informal, generally a lot of fun.

Next one is tomorrow, 4pm EST, math to follow if you live elsewhere, here are the details:

4 Likes

Welcome in @LilGrimmy

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

6 Likes

Just started the program today. It’s been a long time since I played an instrument. Started playing trombone in 7th grade and play till my sophomore year of high school. That was 35 years ago. Always wanted to play bass, just couldn’t find the time. So here I am finally getting the time. I do have one question. For the purpose of this lesson. What is better. Round or flat wound?

14 Likes

Welcome @mangevine2

5 Likes

Welcome @mangevine2 !

5 Likes

Welcome @mangevine2 ! As for your question, the answer is one you’ll hear a lot in this forum, it depends.

There are (in my admittedly inexperienced opinion) some differences between flat and round wound strings. Tone, feel, playability, cost-they all play into it. Most every bass I’ve ever seen comes off the shelf with round wound strings-but that doesn’t make them what you want.

So, play some with each. You’ll find what you are looking for. The real goal is to keep the instrument in your hands-you get that happening, all the rest will sort itself out.

6 Likes

Welcome @mangevine2 ! I’m new here myself but the warm welcomes made me feel right at home!

7 Likes

Welcome, @mangevine2. Glad you’re here. Round wounds come stock on new basses because they are the most widely used by players, likely because steel strings for guitar were first invented as rounds. Bass rounds are also very versatile, allowing for a wide range of tones that can result from how they are plucked, muted, shaped by tone controls, etc. But the first order of business is to learn bass playing fundamentals. Enjoy the lessons!

8 Likes

Great to have you here @mangevine2 !

6 Likes

Honestly whatever you like best.
That said, flats will hide some mistakes in muting a bit better than rounds. So if you want to really work on technique and hear everything - rounds.

THAT said, I did the course with flats. But now use both depending on the tune.

8 Likes

Same here!

5 Likes

Welcome @mangevine2

6 Likes

Welcome @mangevine2
Have fun!
I’m surprised that no one has answered your question with both round wounds and flat wounds giving you a reason to have more than one bass.

7 Likes

Welcome, @mangevine2. Enjoy the course, round or flat.

6 Likes

I think you just did. Points!

4 Likes