iOS apps that hear you play your answers to test questions?

Does anyone know of an iOS app that tests your knowledge of the fretboard/notation, and your answers are input with your bass? Not selecting frets/notes on the screen, but playing your instrument? Thanks so much!

5 Likes

There is this app called “solo” (they spell it “sølo” to allude to the symbol for a half-diminished chord). That app lets you practice scales in a huge variety and you can also practice entire changes (if you want to). The app is not training your rhythmic understanding, but only the harmonic information - this means there is no time pressure to play the “answer” (i.e., the next note), like it is when you for example use iReal Pro for the same purpose.

4 Likes

Hey - that looks pretty good. Seems guitar oriented, but they mention works for concert pitched instruments.

4 Likes

Yes, you can set it up for 4- or 5-string bass as well :smile:

4 Likes

That’s what I hoped to hear!

4 Likes

I’ve used the Android version of this app that works by listening to you play (or by selecting notes on screen). IIRC, listening mode was an option that needs to be turned on, not the default.

1 Like

Hey thanks!

For ear and fretboard training I use Tenuto ‎Tenuto in de App Store

You can set it to bass. Don’t think it works with your own input though. So maybe this is bad advice :sweat_smile:

Appreciate the reply!

1 Like