IR files

if you want me to be honest, @howard, the Le Bass preamp does not sound good because it has a tube, it sounds good (if you like how it sounds) because it’s well designed.

at some point there’s no magic. there are a ton of crappy tube preamps, a ton of crappy solid state preamps, some excellent tube preamps, some excellent solid state preamps. what makes the quality is not really the tube(s) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

For sure!

What I am wondering about is what it’s actually using the tube for. Like, listening to the thing, I would not be surprised if it was only using the tube in the dirty channel :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that’s the one that I downloaded (@T_dub had posted the link). I don’t know much about IR files, but when I unzipped it, I got a bunch of .wav files. I tried to download them to the Radar, but the Radar was not interested.

1 Like

This is completely fascinating to me. It’s incredibly cool that you have the experience working with circuits to have a sense of what sounds musical.

3 Likes

Agree completely, really glad to have someone so knowledgeable around. Man this looks like a serious fun rabbit hole.

3 Likes

It should have three folders: mono, stereo merged and stereo split. I don’t know why you would need split stereo, you can delete that folder if you want. So open up either the stereo or mono folders (either one will work) and find the folder marked 44.1k 24b. These are the wav files you want. You can delete all the other folders.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve tried that, but the Radar apparently doesn’t use .wav files. When I open that folder it just shows this:
Radar

Maybe I have a different version of the Radar than you have, IDK…

1 Like

It does, I was doing the same thing at first. Here ya go. BTW he goes on about using USB 2.0 cable, I just used any USB and it worked fine. You can skip to 3:15 to just watch how to upload if you want.

2 Likes

So, if I’m understanding this correctly, you can’t ADD more cabs, you can only replace one or more of the ones that are already in there?

1 Like

Yes, I’m loving mine. I can’t believe this much power is in such a small box!

1 Like

Right, it overwrites the currently programmed one. So if you want to save it, just export the file first before you overwrite it.

3 Likes

Wow, I checked, and yeah the specs are quite different across some of them. In some cases people could be playing with fire (literally :slight_smile:)

Maybe more of a problem swapping to an AX7 from something designed for a lower amplification tube? Still, wow.

Ok, should stop spreading the tube talk across three topics. I made a new one.

3 Likes

BTW Pam, playing around with it today and discovered if you push the plus button it overwrites the file but if you push the minus button it restores it to original. So no worries about overwriting.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to know because I’d like to remove the three that I installed and go back to the stock ones. The ones I installed don’t play nice with my Rumble.

1 Like

@terb @DaveT I know that this isn’t for a bass amp but I had swapped the tubes in my Vox Amp for my guitar just because it was way to bright for my taste ( I know Vox is known for bright tone) but I went to the Tube Depot online and swapped them with (2) EL 844 power tube and (2) Ecc81/12AT7 Pre amp tubes. The swap was exactly what I wanted to attain that great jazz tone. I did a tone of research before swapping them so if you are looking to bring life to a tube am just research and talk to the professionals

3 Likes

I have now downloaded and am playing around with a bunch of the free cab sims and its a lot of fun. One (first world) problem I have had a few times - the free darkglass 4x10 cab for example. Downloaded it, opened the folder and… There’s probably more than 200 IR sims in it. For the same cabinet! And it’s free!!! But there’s waayyy to many to A/B them all, so I just grabbed a few representative ones to compare.

3 Likes

One problem with the DarkGlass IR Cab sims is that I can’t tell the difference between any of them.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked yet but there may only be very minor differences between some of them. If they are providing 200 IR files I bet they use the same cabs for many and just vary things like room, mic, etc.

And that’s fine. You generally want them to be subtle. Overdone cab IRs sound dull, farty and indistinct.

2 Likes

To avoid confusion the free DG cab sims are from seacow, not DG. And yes the differences are mics used, mic positions, etc.

https://seacowcabs.wordpress.com/2019/07/21/darkglass-dg410c/

1 Like